American Honda Reports Sales Figures for April 2017
Date: May 02, 2017 11:44
Honda Press Release
American Honda Reports April Sales with Record for Honda Trucks
May 2, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
- Honda Division sales up 1.2 percent for first four months of 2017
- CR-V posts fifth straight record month, up 26.6 percent for the year
- HR-V sets new April record, up 25.5 percent for the year
- Civic and Accord sales remain strong with retail customers
- Acura TLX sales jump 39.1 percent in April
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported April sales of 138,386 Honda and Acura vehicles, a decrease of 7.0 percent from year-ago results. The Honda Division saw a decrease of 6.3 percent on sales of 124,254 vehicles, while Honda trucks were up year-over-year, posting a 1.2 percent gain on sales of 61,114 units. Acura Division sales of 14,132 cars and SUVs were up from last month and were led by the TLX sedan with a 39.1 percent jump in April versus year-ago results.
With strong truck sales and sustained, steady demand for cars continuing in April, Honda Division sales grew 1.2 percent for the first four months of 2017. The Honda CR-V and HR-V continued their record-setting ways, both posting record April sales, as the Ridgeline pickup also posted solid April results of 3,186 units, and Pilot continued to experience strong demand in the face of constrained supplies.
Despite the market shift toward SUVs, Honda saw continued strong retail demand for cars, with Fit recording sales of 4,871 units, Accord posting sales of 26,938 units, and Civic again topping the 31,000 mark, with virtually all sales coming from individual, retail car buyers.
- Honda trucks had a best-ever April, gaining 1.2 percent on sales of 61,114 units
- CR-V led truck gains with an April record of 32,671 vehicles, up 13 percent
- HR-V set a new April record, rising 22.4 percent on sales of 8,527
- Ridgeline sales surpassed 3,100 units in April
- With another strong sales month of 31,211 units, Civic was easily the best-selling passenger car in America on a retail basis for the first four months of 2017
- Clarity Fuel Cell posted 34 sales for the month, pushing total deliveries to 126 units
"While there seems no end in sight to consumers' love affair with trucks and SUVs, we continue to keep a focus on passenger cars to maintain a balanced sales mix in the retail marketplace," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president of the American Honda Automobile Division. "Our efforts to build more Honda light trucks at our plants in North America are paying dividends with sales records for both CR-V and HR-V."
Acura division sales of 14,132 units were led by TLX, which posted its best month since October 2015 on sales of 5,258 units, up 39.1 percent from last April, following a strong first-quarter marketing campaign. Next month TLX will receive an additional boost with the launch of the significantly redesigned 2018 model, with three distinct variants including a new V6-powered A-Spec model, adding aggressive new styling to the performance luxury sedan.
- TLX recorded its best-ever April and second best month ever on sales of 5,258 units, up 39.1 percent over last year
- Acura light truck sales remained strong with MDX and RDX combining for sales of over 7,845 units, with the launch of the new 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid expected to boost sales in the months ahead.
"We're seeing our new marketing efforts resonate with buyers with TLX posting strong sales in a tough segment," said Jon Ikeda, vice president & general manager of Acura. "With the new 2018 TLX launching next month, including the all-new A-Spec model, we look forward to broadening our appeal with performance-focused buyers."
Last edited by JeffX on
May 02, 2017 11:49