[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Russian Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda reports January 2017 Sales > > Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

SVTruong
Profile for SVTruong
So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2017 11:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So Acura will be a brand represented by the NSX and SUVs? The RLX continues to be an afterthought as with all cars in the Acura brand. Sad...
Cory
Profile for Cory
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2017 12:07
SVTruong wrote:
So Acura will be a brand represented by the NSX and SUVs? The RLX continues to be an afterthought as with all cars in the Acura brand. Sad...

Obligatory post about terrible designs, lack of V8s and RWD, blah, blah, blah...

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2017 12:25
More than ever before Honda is dependent on one (excellent) vehicle - the CR-V. Curious drop in Civic sales, OK its winter, but so it was last year. Accord is plummeting, and really, the CR-V is so good, why buy it? I don't see this changing, much as I like Accords. It's a dead segment, just like it has been for Canada for some while.

Acura's situation is clearly worse. They need to get serious about their cars or not bother. They are rapidly being overtaken by Kyundai in terms of engineering refinement, style and what you get for your money. Which is ridiculous. Must try harder. Still, been said enough times. Just it's plainer than ever. Much as there is a lot to like about the 4 cyl TLX for instance, I am so glad I leased mine. the chances of replacing it this year with another Acura are neglible. Short of something very surprising.

Bodyshopguy
Profile for Bodyshopguy
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2017 12:36
Acura is taking too long with the sedan line-up we were promised a year and a half ago. Acura should tease us with some exciting images of the new ILX, TLX and a revised RLX. Big fault for Acura to not have a mini CDX for America. Looks like Cadillac is even bringing their XT3 in 2018. Saw pics of it today. Very impressive and rear wheel drive. Acura has to do something everyone is leaving the brand because they are not bringing new fresh vehicles to their lineup. All they show us is NSX this and NSX that. Great for the rich but uninspiring for the average Joe.
Jld94
Profile for Jld94
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2017 12:44
A77X wrote:
More than ever before Honda is dependent on one (excellent) vehicle - the CR-V. Curious drop in Civic sales, OK its winter, but so it was last year. Accord is plummeting, and really, the CR-V is so good, why buy it? I don't see this changing, much as I like Accords. It's a dead segment, just like it has been for Canada for some while.

Acura's situation is clearly worse. They need to get serious about their cars or not bother. They are rapidly being overtaken by Kyundai in terms of engineering refinement, style and what you get for your money. Which is ridiculous. Must try harder. Still, been said enough times. Just it's plainer than ever. Much as there is a lot to like about the 4 cyl TLX for instance, I am so glad I leased mine. the chances of replacing it this year with another Acura are neglible. Short of something very surprising.

Camry only did 20,300, Altima 18,900 so it was a bad month everywhere for midsize cars

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2017 13:03
yeah - Toyota was down 11% in jan. So was FCA.

But the mid size sedan is dying for sure. America is really the only places that buys them in quantity so the writings been on the wall. Crossovers are now so much better than they used to be there's little reason to buy one. I'd still prefer a wagon....

ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2017 13:10
I find this topic interesting: why does Acura's approach work on SUVs and not sedans?

Many bash their approach to sedans, but IMO it is the same approach they took onto their SUV line which is faring much better sales wise.

Hypothetically IF the RDX and MDX didn't sell well we would hear:
- Bad exterior design: looks bland and boring, bad beak
- Bad interior: two screen disaster + cheap materials
- FWD on a luxury SUV = stupid and not tier-1
- yada yada

Any thoughts of why that is? Do sedan shoppers have a different mindset when it comes to luxury cars but not SUVs?

tsxfan19
Profile for tsxfan19
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2017 19:20
Cory wrote:
SVTruong wrote:

Obligatory post about terrible designs, lack of V8s and RWD, blah, blah, blah...

Right.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2017 19:37
ipribadi wrote:
I find this topic interesting: why does Acura's approach work on SUVs and not sedans?

Many bash their approach to sedans, but IMO it is the same approach they took onto their SUV line which is faring much better sales wise.

- yada yada

Any thoughts of why that is? Do sedan shoppers have a different mindset when it comes to luxury cars but not SUVs?

SUV's are big, clunky styled, heavy, vehicles. Styling, balance, proportions, performance is just not that important to most of their buyers. They are the modern big, family station wagon, the family truckster. The priority of SUV buyers is mostly thinking you are "safer" by driving a larger vehicle with four wheel drive, thinking you are in a vehicle that can go anywhere at anytime, and having some extra storage capacity and that does not change much whether it is a luxury or mainstream SUV while other factors like styling, performance, balance don't take big priorities like they do with sedans. Styling is clearly not much of a priority to SUV buyers and with such a big clunky vehicles the difference between a family sedan platform and RWD platform is too noticeable like it is with a RWD sedan or coupe.

The biggest priorities luxury/performance sedan and coupe buyers place on their choice is more styling, performance, luxury features, balance/proportions and compromised FWD family sedan platforms are not ideal for that especially for larger more expensive sedans and coupes.

A poorly styled sedan or coupe, odd proportions, lagging performance, compromised platform or cost cut bland interior is generally a bigger more significant sore spot to those buyers who place a much larger priority on style inside and out and performance then it is for someone who is choosing a SUV because they think it is more "rugged"/safe, are mainly considered with room/space, off roading capability, etc and often styling, balance, performance are a pretty low priority.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2017 04:55
ipribadi wrote:

- yada yada

SUV's are the current trend and have been since gas has been inexpensive. Keep in mind the MDX and RDX aren't the best sellars in the segment.

Sedans sales have been going doen for a while now but Acura sedans haven't been stellar since the 04-08 TL. The TLX is mediocre at best, the same with the ILX and the RLX is a down right embarassment as it only sold 30 more units that the NSX.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2017 08:09
Yup - it's far easier to sell a semi-premium SUV than it is a semi- or non-premium sedan.

It's a global trend ATM; most buyers would seemingly prefer a Range Rover to a Jaguar, for example.

It's why Borgward's first 'cars' are all SUVs.

There are oddities, such as the rise of the supposedly premium C/D-segment sedans, like the A-class and A3. The non-premium C/D sedan had almost entirely died out over here, yet those things are everywhere.

TheDiscriminator
Profile for TheDiscriminator
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2017 11:25
The monthly groundhog day here on TOV.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2017 12:09
lexusgs wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

- yada yada

SUV's are big, clunky styled, heavy, vehicles. Styling, balance, proportions, performance is just not that important to most of their buyers. They are the modern big, family station wagon, the family truckster. The priority of SUV buyers is mostly thinking you are "safer" by driving a larger vehicle with four wheel drive, thinking you are in a vehicle that can go anywhere at anytime, and having some extra storage capacity and that does not change much whether it is a luxury or mainstream SUV while other factors like styling, performance, balance don't take big priorities like they do with sedans. Styling is clearly not much of a priority to SUV buyers and with such a big clunky vehicles the difference between a family sedan platform and RWD platform is too noticeable like it is with a RWD sedan or coupe.

The biggest priorities luxury/performance sedan and coupe buyers place on their choice is more styling, performance, luxury features, balance/proportions and compromised FWD family sedan platforms are not ideal for that especially for larger more expensive sedans and coupes.

A poorly styled sedan or coupe, odd proportions, lagging performance, compromised platform or cost cut bland interior is generally a bigger more significant sore spot to those buyers who place a much larger priority on style inside and out and performance then it is for someone who is choosing a SUV because they think it is more "rugged"/safe, are mainly considered with room/space, off roading capability, etc and often styling, balance, performance are a pretty low priority.

I agree people who buy SUV's have different priorities than people buying sedans.

With that said, i do think people who buy luxury SUVs still see luxury, brand image, performance, etc as important. Otherwise, they could've just bought a Honda Pilot, Highlander, Escape, CRV, etc, instead of MDX or RDX...no?

I think that's the question ipribadi is asking.

Why do people buy the bland FWD base MDX and RDX with the disastratous 2-screen interior, when they could buy a RWD X3/X5, or Q5/Q7 with fancy interior, or prestigious MB GLC/GLE?

And if the answer to that question is that luxury and styling aren't much of a priority, why not just buy a Escape 2.0T or Honda Pilot Touring?

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2017 12:17
TheDiscriminator wrote:

Just what I have been thinking. There ought to be, along with the other fixed topics, like "Civic", "Strictly Technical" etc, one called "Beat up on Acura, no V8, no RWD, No luxurious interior".

That way some of us who are tired of this stuff can escape having to deal with this repetition every month.

Great_Tubimi
Profile for Great_Tubimi
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2017 12:50
TheDiscriminator wrote:

It's like the spinning top in Inception. I check back to confirm I'm not in a dream.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2017 13:16
Hondarulez wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

- yada yada

I agree people who buy SUV's have different priorities than people buying sedans.

With that said, i do think people who buy luxury SUVs still see luxury, brand image, performance, etc as important. Otherwise, they could've just bought a Honda Pilot, Highlander, Escape, CRV, etc, instead of MDX or RDX...no?

Why do people buy the bland FWD base MDX and RDX with the disastratous 2-screen interior, when they could buy a RWD X3/X5, or Q5/Q7 with fancy interior, or prestigious MB GLC/GLE?

And if the answer to that question is that luxury and styling aren't much of a priority, why not just buy a Escape 2.0T or Honda Pilot Touring?

The priority of a sport utility buyer whether luxury or not is much more utility compared to a sedan or even solely based on utility. Acura SUV's have just as much if not more utility when it comes to their luxury competitors so they are pretty competitive. Acura SUV's being priced much lower then their European competitors does not hurt either, it is also why the bland Lexus RX sells so well, just as much utility as competitors and priced much lower.

Again, like I said, styling, platform, balance, performance, proportions, interior design/quality, are not normally the biggest priorities with a SUV buyer compared to a luxury/sport sedan buyer so Acura SUV's are mostly as or just as competitive where it counts the most with SUV buyers which is why I don't suggest Acura needs a RWD platform for its SUV's unless they really shoot for something in the 65K+ range.

BMW, Mercedes, or Audi SUV's offer no more "utility" when compared to Acura's, they actually offer less in most cases, buyers in this class typically place "utility" much higher in their choice then they do styling, proportions, performance, interior quality, that most sedan or coupe buyers do so Acura SUV's are mostly to very competitive, sedans not so much and the compromised platform really shows itself in the sedan where it is not such a big deal in SUV's that are so big, heavy, and blocky styled and drivers are not so concerned with precision handling, balance, performance, etc.

Many buyers still like buying and owning vehicles from upscale brands and the Acura's to many buyers look nicer and are nicer overall then a Pilot or Escape, RDX also has a nice smooth V6 standard over an Escape 4 cyl, MDX has SHawd, some better features, and more power over a Pilot.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2017 17:54
TheDiscriminator wrote:

...and your post about this thread is also Groundhog day, which now makes my post about your Groundhog day post a Groundhog day post.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2017 18:58
lexusgs wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

- yada yada

The priority of a sport utility buyer whether luxury or not is much more utility compared to a sedan or even solely based on utility. Acura SUV's have just as much if not more utility when it comes to their luxury competitors so they are pretty competitive. Acura SUV's being priced much lower then their European competitors does not hurt either, it is also why the bland Lexus RX sells so well, just as much utility as competitors and priced much lower.

Again, like I said, styling, platform, balance, performance, proportions, interior design/quality, are not normally the biggest priorities with a SUV buyer compared to a luxury/sport sedan buyer so Acura SUV's are mostly as or just as competitive where it counts the most with SUV buyers which is why I don't suggest Acura needs a RWD platform for its SUV's unless they really shoot for something in the 65K+ range.

BMW, Mercedes, or Audi SUV's offer no more "utility" when compared to Acura's, they actually offer less in most cases, buyers in this class typically place "utility" much higher in their choice then they do styling, proportions, performance, interior quality, that most sedan or coupe buyers do so Acura SUV's are mostly to very competitive, sedans not so much and the compromised platform really shows itself in the sedan where it is not such a big deal in SUV's that are so big, heavy, and blocky styled and drivers are not so concerned with precision handling, balance, performance, etc.

Many buyers still like buying and owning vehicles from upscale brands and the Acura's to many buyers look nicer and are nicer overall then a Pilot or Escape, RDX also has a nice smooth V6 standard over an Escape 4 cyl, MDX has SHawd, some better features, and more power over a Pilot.

Yea i guess so. It comes down to the priorities.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2017 16:54
DCR wrote:
TheDiscriminator wrote:

...and your post about this thread is also Groundhog day, which now makes my post about your Groundhog day post a Groundhog day post.

This whole thread has become a deja vu.

It's sad we can't edit posts at TOV. We can't put recursive links anymore..

TheDiscriminator
Profile for TheDiscriminator
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2017 01:04
DCR wrote:
TheDiscriminator wrote:

I never mentionned Groundhod Day before, ever on this site. So BS from you, and THAT can be considered GroundHog Day from you.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2017 01:28
You seriously didn't understand what I meant?

If I need to slow down and explain it to you in further detail, let me know.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2017 20:42
DCR wrote:

Out of the blue, but I wanted to thank both of you for teaching me a new word today!

Question: the contrary of groundhog day would be sky-high day or ceilinghog day?

Thanks!

dysonlu
Profile for dysonlu
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2017 12:07
DCR wrote:

Amazing. You can even get slower? Please go ahead and show us how slow you can go.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2017 16:03
Strange post to make an enemy on.

I wasn't talking to you.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: So... conservative approach works for trucks? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2017 10:07
Mikgtir wrote:
DCR wrote:

Out of the blue, but I wanted to thank both of you for teaching me a new word today!

Question: the contrary of groundhog day would be sky-high day or ceilinghog day?

Thanks!

It's actually what we call a Marmot.

So Squirrel Night?

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0