[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: 2019 Acura RLX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: '08 Honda Leather
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > 2018 Acura RLX Arrives in Showrooms with Striking Redesign > > Re: So much better!

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author

Blue99si
Profile for Blue99si
Re: So much better! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2017 07:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
rev2damoon wrote:
Sorry, the front of this car still does not work. They are trying, but it isn't enough. Here is my opinion of the styling misfires on the front...

1. The grille simply does not say "luxury". Actually, it says literally nothing. Just a "nothing" void is the best way I can describe it. A nothing void would be less bothersome if the overall shape of it was more "interesting", but that isn't the case here.

2. Sharp angles and lines juxtaposed with softer curves = NO.
Does not work at all in this application.

3. There is some effort to carry through lines from upper to lower grille and I give them credit for that. However, there are just lines shooting all over the place at every conceivable angle it seems. This does not work. There is no harmony here. Part of the problem is the grille itself. It is "forced" on to to this application and it clearly shows. You have the grille shooting at one angle and the headlights shooting at another.

4. Additional chrome bits look extremely out of place and unnecessary. The lighter color cars fear better because the chrome pieces are less visible.

Beyond the front of the car, I simply do not care for the overall proportions of the RLX. It needs proportions similar to its competitors in class, but we all know that cannot happen if it continues to be based on the FWD Accord.

Positive? The rear of the car is improved. The tail lights look better and I suppose they want a smiley face sticker for bringing back the exposed exhaust finishers, considering they just HAD to mention it in the press release. Really Acura. They should have never went away in the first place. So no, you do not get a smiley face sticker.

Actually what it says is......Oh, look a TLX with some extra tacky chrome on it, that looks overweight and over priced compared To others in this segment. I do not see a flagship when I look at this car. No edge to it.....like the Mercedes or BMW or even Lexus. Acura needs to step back and look at the overhangs, err cliffs that this car has and start looking at ways to change this cars image. The new Accord reminds me more of the Legend than the Current RLX. The new Camry offers more luxury than this car.....

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: So much better! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2017 21:53
rev2damoon wrote:
honduh wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:
NealX wrote:
^ In agreement with all of this. To my eyes, the car has always read much stronger (and honestly) as a Honda Legend. No artifice.

I'd have to agree. It's interesting how the H changes that visual perception.

You canít fool me, Honda built a superior...Avalon competitor.

It's also interesting how the beak pictured here works better than this DPG they've come up with, and I was never really a fan of the beak.

Thatís because the design originally was conceived with the beak. With the mid-cycle refresh the dpg just looks forced. Same is true with TLX refresh. Itís like the rear doesnít know what the front is doing. I felt the same way with the previous gen RL. The rear was better with the refresh, IMHO, but the front was disjointed when they introduced the beak grille. They repeat themselves again and again decide to change the design language mid-way through model generations.

smArt
Profile for smArt
Re: So much better! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2017 00:56
My problem is with the headlights. Too big. The next gen definitely doesn't need massive headlights. Acura needs to do what the germans do: the grill gets larger, the headlights get smaller the higher up the vehicle.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: So much better! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2017 09:09
Blue99si wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:
Sorry, the front of this car still does not work. They are trying, but it isn't enough. Here is my opinion of the styling misfires on the front...

1. The grille simply does not say "luxury". Actually, it says literally nothing. Just a "nothing" void is the best way I can describe it. A nothing void would be less bothersome if the overall shape of it was more "interesting", but that isn't the case here.

2. Sharp angles and lines juxtaposed with softer curves = NO.
Does not work at all in this application.

3. There is some effort to carry through lines from upper to lower grille and I give them credit for that. However, there are just lines shooting all over the place at every conceivable angle it seems. This does not work. There is no harmony here. Part of the problem is the grille itself. It is "forced" on to to this application and it clearly shows. You have the grille shooting at one angle and the headlights shooting at another.

4. Additional chrome bits look extremely out of place and unnecessary. The lighter color cars fear better because the chrome pieces are less visible.

Beyond the front of the car, I simply do not care for the overall proportions of the RLX. It needs proportions similar to its competitors in class, but we all know that cannot happen if it continues to be based on the FWD Accord.

Positive? The rear of the car is improved. The tail lights look better and I suppose they want a smiley face sticker for bringing back the exposed exhaust finishers, considering they just HAD to mention it in the press release. Really Acura. They should have never went away in the first place. So no, you do not get a smiley face sticker.

Actually what it says is......Oh, look a TLX with some extra tacky chrome on it, that looks overweight and over priced compared To others in this segment. I do not see a flagship when I look at this car. No edge to it.....like the Mercedes or BMW or even Lexus. Acura needs to step back and look at the overhangs, err cliffs that this car has and start looking at ways to change this cars image. The new Accord reminds me more of the Legend than the Current RLX. The new Camry offers more luxury than this car.....

Agreed and the TLX actually has the same ridiculous, tacky chrome bits on the bumpers. I am just dumbfounded that somebody actually signed off on those, just as I was when they ditched the exposed exhaust tips. Now, in their press releases they're like, "Look, we brought the exposed exhausts back!" Acura desperately, DESPERATELY needs some fresh blood in their design department and management. I truly believe that they need to start looking outside of the "Honda" circles for fresh talent, but they probably won't due to extreme loyalty to their folks.

Beyond that, the proportion problems we see here are due to the architecture that's being used beneath. That's well known. One of the problems I've noticed with Acura is that they are very good at getting decent proportions when it comes to their concept models. However, the problem arises when they try to mold that concept onto a platform from Honda. It simply does not work. The proportions cannot be replicated for obvious reasons.

So, we have the proportions issue. Then you have certain details that you look for especially with flagship luxury sedans. There are a couple of things you cannot do with such a model. You cannot hide the exhaust finishers and you cannot put skinny freakin' wheels on it that make it look like an econo-class model. These may sound like trivial issues, but they certainly make a difference. Then you have distinctive detailing that you look for. The grille and head/tail lights fall into this category. I don't think I need to get into this any further. Acura's grille problems are well documented. I don't know what else to say about it other than they still have not figured it out....

George Knighton
Profile for George Knighton
Re: So much better! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2017 18:48
I suppose that it is "better" in some ways.

Compared to the 2014 KC2, the 2018 is a smoother riding vehicle, but at the expense of the edginess that entertained so many of us.

And the thing that all of us who own one would complain about is the infotainment system. Why they left that the same is beyond me...they could have at least given us Car Play so that we could ignore the ancient nav system. :-)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0