[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
General Talk --> Re: '08 Honda Leather
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: 2019 Acura RLX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > NSX > > Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 06:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 08:52
Not bad for the NSX. It would be nice if Acura would let you tweak the launch rpms by a little bit to compensate for changing grip conditions. As it is, there's a consistent mild bog with the standard 2100rpm launch. I'm sure they could've found another tenth or two with a slightly higher launch rpm.

Now for something really interesting, lets see these two cars pitted against each other on a proper circuit.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 11:50
That is why electrics are so pointless as drag or sports cars. You get maybe 1 or 2 or possibly 3 full power cycles to race with and then the car is much slower, same on a track, after a certain amount of time and usage you start towing your heavy powerplant more and more that is getting weaker and weaker. The NSX and other vehicles with IC engines can make run after run until they run out of gas and it takes less then 5 min to put another tank of gas in it again. That is why I also argued the NSX needed a very powerful IC engine with the hybrid/battery being relied on to provide too much power or else it will just be a weak engine towing a heavy powerplant during aggressive driving/racing.
outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 14:18
I saw this when it was first uploaded, the ET may be close but the NSX traps much higher than the Tesla. If this were a standing 1/2 mile or open highway, the Tesla would have been ripped up.
Brutus
Profile for Brutus
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 14:32
I am impressed by the NSX, it did better then I thought. It is crazy how many Tesla Model S drag races against sports cars are done, I don't recall any other car ever having this done so many times vs the established players. Last one I saw was the Chris Harris one vs a Porsche 911R.

What I wonder is what the effect is on the long term reliability of the Tesla. We shall see.

B.

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 16:44
That NSX isn't 100% stock.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2018 17:56
outersquare wrote:
I saw this when it was first uploaded, the ET may be close but the NSX traps much higher than the Tesla. If this were a standing 1/2 mile or open highway, the Tesla would have been ripped up.

Most fast cars trap higher than the Tesla. It's all over by the 1/8th mile with the P100D, but it usually pulls a large lead so other cars are working to make up a big gap (and road course? The P100D won't even finish a lap without overheating the power system - it's a one trick pony in the performance dept).

Remember its only about 500 whp in a 5000 lbs vehicle. But launching at 0 rpm with instant torque means that you can apply maximum power off the line.

Other cars running 116 mph or faster in the 1/4 these days include:

Camaro SS
2018 Mustang 10AT
Any Corvette
M3/M4
Any GTR

and the list goes on. But only the GTR has a shot at the 100D in a drag race because AWD! ;)

These days the really fast cars have to trap at least 130 mph (911 turbo for example) and really 140 mph traps are the new "fast" speed in the 1/4. It's a great time to be a car guy!

SC

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 16:47
You're correct but the stock model ran 11.3 sec @ 123.6 mph with Motortrend a little over a year ago so I don't think the mods made a huge power difference. I wonder if this car has a better tune in the low RPMs (electric boost?) or if these people have just perfected the launch for drag racing.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/nsx/2017/2017-acura-nsx-vs-nissan-gt-r/

Overall I'm impressed with the NSX.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 18:37
I thought it looked like the Tesla driver lost race 2 on the tree.
fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 19:03
Grace141 wrote:

Yea he start a little too late on the second run. Why is there no 3rd runs?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 19:48
Grace141 wrote:

he did - look at the time slips. The P100 still had a slightly better ET but his R/T was about 3 tenths slower than the NSX driver.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2018 19:51
fishchan wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

Yea he start a little too late on the second run. Why is there no 3rd runs?

Tesla was probably out of juice. Once the SoC drops too low you don't get maximum power. Even on the first run it was a little slower than its best.

Conditions in Florida right now have been awesome for drag racing too. Doesn't help electric motors, but IC engine cars really benefit (hence the 11 second stock Mustang video going around). The Tesla will run that time on a 50 deg day or a 90 deg day while IC engine cars get notably slower.

SC

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2018 02:24
LudeLeRoy wrote:
You're correct but the stock model ran 11.3 sec @ 123.6 mph with Motortrend a little over a year ago so I don't think the mods made a huge power difference. I wonder if this car has a better tune in the low RPMs (electric boost?) or if these people have just perfected the launch for drag racing.

C/D got 11.2@126mph:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-acura-nsx-supercar-full-test-review

There was another road test that I read before that says the NSX can actually launch faster withOUT the launch control. I wonder if the driver in the video just did the launch himself instead of launch control.

I agree with Jeff about the launch control in the NSX. Its at like 2000rpm which sounds stupidly low for a mid-engined AWD car with 305 width rear tires. Funny how the lighter but more powerful 720S without AWD has the launch control system set to 3400rpm. 911 Turbo I believe launches at 5500rpm.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2018 02:31
Hondarulez wrote:
LudeLeRoy wrote:

C/D got 11.2@126mph:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-acura-nsx-supercar-full-test-review

There was another road test that I read before that says the NSX can actually launch faster withOUT the launch control. I wonder if the driver in the video just did the launch himself instead of launch control.

I agree with Jeff about the launch control in the NSX. Its at like 2000rpm which sounds stupidly low for a mid-engined AWD car with 305 width rear tires. Funny how the lighter but more powerful 720S without AWD has the launch control system set to 3400rpm. 911 Turbo I believe launches at 5500rpm.

Maybe to go easy on the tranny?

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2018 03:06
Hondarulez wrote:

It's about the electric motors. The higher you have to rev the engine to launch the vehicle, especially with a clutched transmission, the more you shock load the driveline, particularly the tires. That high shock load and large speed differential between engine and tires means that if you break traction (and high shock loads increase that possibility) you're going to get a massive flare of wheelspin and revs which will require throttle or traction control intervention to quell.

You can get around this with a torque converter, slipper clutches (high end drag racing) or large squishy sidewall tires that will wrinkle up and absorb that shock load and then unload the energy into the track surface in a more gradual manner. Or, you can cram as much electric motor in there with peak torque at zero rpm and keep the launch rpms down. It's generally easier on the driveline, the tires and allows for far better consistency and a much reduced chance of wheelspin. I don't doubt that the NSX could use a few more rpm. But it might need to be at 2500 instead of 2200 rpm. If for no other reason than to get the turbos spinning a bit faster to smooth the transition from mostly electric to mostly IC power after the initial hit.

SC

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2018 03:12

Last edited by notyper on 01-05-2018 03:13
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2018 03:25
Yea 2200rpm looks really load and from all the launch videos there's pretty much 0 wheelspin...not even a chirp.

On another hand, carwow just pitted the NSX against the CBR1000RR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLzpIig24o

This gotta be one of the fastest times for the NSX at 10.8s through the 1/4 mile.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2018 04:02
Hondarulez wrote:
Yea 2200rpm looks really load and from all the launch videos there's pretty much 0 wheelspin...not even a chirp.

On another hand, carwow just pitted the NSX against the CBR1000RR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLzpIig24o

This gotta be one of the fastest times for the NSX at 10.8s through the 1/4 mile.

That was a joke video TBH. That CBR is a 9 second bike (pretty much every liter bike is today). And 10.8 was recorded how? No timing equipment that I could see, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

SC

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2018 20:08
Ya the CBR should be faster for sure.

Having said that, I find euro spec cars tend to be faster.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2018 18:02
Hondarulez wrote:
Ya the CBR should be faster for sure.

Having said that, I find euro spec cars tend to be faster.

Thanks to Brexit we are a bit bunch lighter now.

Very soon we will get rid of Catalunya to gain one or 2 tenths more.

Lol just kidding.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2018 00:15
I own a 2012 CBR1000RR...It's super quick...the rider in the video did not launch the bike as one should when racing..a proper launch would yield the front to pop up and the rider would need to lean and put weight forward to offset. Regardless, I love the NSX and CBR...wish i could own the NSX to compliment my cbr..
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2018 02:18
Here's another video of NSX pulling a 10.8 in the quarter mile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3lPbVTsXc8

s2kx2
Profile for s2kx2
Re: NSX vs Tesla Model S P100D    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2018 14:30
Who gives a flying rats ass about this! There is a reason its called "drag racing" Its F#^KING BORING!!!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0