[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Russian Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: 2018 WC

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author
  Post New Thread
sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 05:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My nerves are shredded !! I could not watch the penalties, I got in my car and went for a drive until they were over in the belief that, as usual., we would falter.
As for the game ... let me start by saying I have over the years supported Columbia as a neutral and went into this game expecting a very tough match.
My god, was I right. Columbia were simply disgusting in their antics and gamesmanship. They tried to intimidate the American ref who despite their behaviour somehow managed to remain calm and composed. How they could dispute the penalty was simply amazing, to see them scuffing up the penalty spot and harass Harry Kane was revolting. This is not football but a bunch of cheats who rely on intimidation and gamesmanship to win a game. They also had a red card not given when it was clear seemingly to everyone that he had pushed his head up into Henderson's chin. That is an act of intending to cause harm or injury that is an instant red card offence. On top of that one of their staff deliberately shoulder barged Sterling as he left the pitch and was seen smirking to his staff immediately after.
I watched this world cup with awe and wonder. The Japan / Belgium game was played in the true spirit of the game. England are no saints but they nearly always go down if they have been fouled apart from the odd occasion.
Columbia did nothing for 80 minutes of normal play and only came alive towards the end as expected. Their goal was fine but should have been cleared by the guy on the post. My reason for not watching the penalties was that I could not stay and watch the smiling faces of a bunch of thugs if they got away with winning that game. I have never felt so angry after watching a match.
I can happily accept if Sweden beat us on saturday, as they generally play with decency and honesty. We are a young team with much to learn. This was a game that showed we have much to do going forward. I do not seeing us winning the world cup as there are at least five teams better than us, but I am very happy to have got through this game at least !!

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 05:45
KaizenDo - very kind wishes ..... albeit I think you will find we are definitely NOT Britain in the World Cup !!
Just England. Very important here as when it comes to football the Welsh and Scottish will support anyone other than England during these times .... and with a passion too lol

Vtec_rally
Profile for Vtec_rally
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 11:51
To be fair, England were not always playing a clean game against Colombia. There were many circumstances were the English players fell to the ground looking for an advantage to be provided by the ref. without warrant. In one circumstance one of the English players fell to the ground after simulating a headbut. Apart from Kane's penalty goal, England's goal scoring opportunities were few and far between. I think both teams were evenly matched. I think Colombia's goal at the end of regulation time transformed the game into a real competitive match.

Congratulations to the English side as they finally succeeded at penalty shots.

I think England have a good chance at defeating Sweden whose style of play is so boring and defensive oriented. I think they'll find it difficult to beat one of the offensive dynamo's if they get into the semi-finals.

Too bad about Japan, they really brought the game to Belgium. Though when you go up 2-0 against a good team like Belgium you really need to change your tactics and lockdown your defensive game.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 12:56
you mean the one where Harry Kane actually got hit ! And this in stark contrast to the disgusting antics carried out by the Colombians ..
I did say that England were far from perfect in that regard but by comparison the Colombia and dare I say Neymar, Ronaldo, Pepe to name but a few !
There is relative honesty in the game and England are one of the more honest teams, one of there players who went down in the box even waved at the ref to admit it wasn't a foul, how often do you see that in a game.
Colombia spent the first 80 minutes or so sitting back with only the rare visit forward. England at least tried to inject some energy and variety into the game. They are a team limited by a lack of talent and that is obvious but as a collective they have done rather well.
I expect one of the big four to bring the cup home, Brazil, France, Belgium or Uruguay. All of which have teams dripping with talent and ability

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 20:28
I certainly saw it more like sennaFan is reporting.

I must say the Colombians certainly "lost it" in the second half. While their goal was deserved and a result of good play, the Poms should have been awarded another Penalty kick for that missed tackle that brought down their forward. Referee missed it but the VAR should have picked it up straight away.

Speaking of the referee I thought he did a reasonable job in the circumstances, it would have been an incredibly difficult and stressful match to adjudicate!! But FIFA really need to crack down on all the holding and skraging that goes on in the penalty area at freekicks and corners! They just need to start paying penalties and freekicks for everything they see, even minor infringements, I'm sure that will soon dampen the players efforts to hold back their opponents. VAR should be used more aggressively in this circumstance.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 03:00
Agreed - also what happened to refs not being surrounded by players anymore ??
It needs a brave ref to give yellows for this as they are meant to. FIFA do themselves no favours when they tell refs to back off on handing out yellows. Rules should stay the same regardless of the stage of competition.
It should be like rugby union where the captain only is spoken to by the ref and the offending player can be called upon to have the decision explained.
I really think football needs a sin bin. It would hopefully result in less red cards which can ruin a game and be used as a 'medi' bin for those faking injury. If a player goes down rolling around he then gets to spend 5 minutes off the pitch getting over his 'serious injury' whilst receiving medical attention. If it is genuine then his team can make a substitution and get him the help he really needs. If, as usual, he has faked it then he can get time off the pitch effectively as punishment for bloody cheating !!
They do this either to gain a yellow card for the offender or to waste time. VAR could easily be used in either case.
Time wasting is getting rediculous, so for goodness sakes use the stopwatch as they do in rugby. No more injury time ( extra time ) which is pure guesswork and encourages time wasting. A simple countdown to the end of the game which ends when there is a break in play after the hooter.
Anyway enough of my preaching, just think its common sense !

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 03:02
It needs a brave ref to give yellows for this as they are meant to. FIFA do themselves no favours when they tell refs to back off on handing out yellows. Rules should stay the same regardless of the stage of competition.
It should be like rugby union where the captain only is spoken to by the ref and the offending player can be called upon to have the decision explained.
I really think football needs a sin bin. It would hopefully result in less red cards which can ruin a game and be used as a 'medi' bin for those faking injury. If a player goes down rolling around he then gets to spend 5 minutes off the pitch getting over his 'serious injury' whilst receiving medical attention. If it is genuine then his team can make a substitution and get him the help he really needs. If, as usual, he has faked it then he can get time off the pitch effectively as punishment for bloody cheating !!
They do this either to gain a yellow card for the offender or to waste time. VAR could easily be used in either case.
Time wasting is getting rediculous, so for goodness sakes use the stopwatch as they do in rugby. No more injury time ( extra time ) which is pure guesswork and encourages time wasting. A simple countdown to the end of the game which ends when there is a break in play after the hooter.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 03:05

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 03:10

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 05:10
lol - not trying to make my point over and over !! Apologies for multiple posts - I blame a bad gateway message ooops
KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 16:24

:D :D :D

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 20:46
What a World Cup tournament! I feel for Brazil, they could have been 3 goals up in the first twenty minutes. Such are the vagaries of sport, though Belgium deserved the win.

France look like the new favourites, though I'm not enamoured of some of their players acting abilities.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2018 18:03
Wow, what a match between Croatia and Russia. Very entertaining.
So we now have the semis set up...England v Croatia and France v Belgium. I honestly don't know who will win this. Certainly has been a balanced tournament.

DevilMayCry
Profile for DevilMayCry
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2018 21:25
My prediction....France/England in finals.
Vtec_rally
Profile for Vtec_rally
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2018 21:44
I predict Croatia vs Belgium in the finals.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-08-2018 19:45
Spain got ripped off.

That was a clear penalty: two guys were manhandled, groped, held and thrown to the ground right in front of the goal on that free kick towards the end of the second half.

Both of them were in position to reach the ball and score.

The referee was on the radio not to discuss the play but to negotiate with Putin how many Benzes he wanted.

Akinfeev will get a job as backup goalie at Barça.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-08-2018 20:48
Gee Tony, late to the party, I can't remember that far back, and I've deleted my recordings. I think the refereeing has been as good as you could expect it so far.

But you can cry me a river if it makes you feel better :)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-08-2018 21:24
sadlerau wrote:
Gee Tony, late to the party, I can't remember that far back, and I've deleted my recordings. I think the refereeing has been as good as you could expect it so far.

But you can cry me a river if it makes you feel better :)

I still remember the refereeing in the 2002 WC... and 1970:

https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/ywgx4y/how-the-2002-world-cup-became-the-most-controversial-tournament-in-recent-memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-azW3cNG-Y

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 08:04
I'm guessing Belgium vs England in the final, but I really feel any of these remaining teams could win this. Belgium because taking out Brazil is no easy feat and they did so pretty convincingly. England because I'm not really sure that Croatia has enough left in the tank after two straight full extra times and penalty shootouts.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 09:09
Vtec_rally wrote:
I predict Croatia vs Belgium in the finals.

This is what I'm hoping for in the final. I'm not convinced England is as good as they've shown on the score board. They are deadly on set pieces, but so is Croatia. Both games are good match-ups. I think you could flip a coin for both.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 11:54
Speaking of England...

Cocaine atop lampposts & trashed ambulances: Orgiastic scenes from England's World Cup celebrations

Meanwhile King Ecbert of Wessex ordered his troops on an assault on Kattegat

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 14:17
...... And meanwhile the other 30 million who watched it at home, in the pubs and at fan fests enjoyed themselves with little or no trouble. Best to concentrate on the sub human minority to keep alive the stereotype ! Nice
Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 18:56
rev2damoon wrote:
I'm guessing Belgium vs England in the final, but I really feel any of these remaining teams could win this. Belgium because taking out Brazil is no easy feat and they did so pretty convincingly. England because I'm not really sure that Croatia has enough left in the tank after two straight full extra times and penalty shootouts.

+1, same feeling

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 12:46
sennaFAN wrote:
...... And meanwhile the other 30 million who watched it at home, in the pubs and at fan fests enjoyed themselves with little or no trouble. Best to concentrate on the sub human minority to keep alive the stereotype ! Nice

My apologies here sennaFAN. I didn't meant to badmouth the englishmen, just found it funny how they totally freaked out. I hope they make it to the finals, the young team deserved it and you can see the motivation and will for success among the players.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 13:55
KaizenDo - You are a gentleman ! I was probably being over sensitive. I would love to see England do well but I am aware they are probably going to fall short as France and Belgium, in particular, have far greater talent in their teams.
Also, I have been embarrassed many times by my countrymen's antics. I fear they will show their true colours as and when we exit, which would be a shame as this World Cup, contrary to expectation, has been a massive success on and off the pitch.
England are a team most would like to see beaten so I rather used to being at the receiving end of comments !!

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 15:51
Thank you sir! And sorry again for being thoughtless there. Of course it's just guessing but I think in sports besides talent and exprtise also the mental condition is a key factor in how well athletes can call of the performance they inherit. As example I think of german ski jumper Sven Hannawald. He was the first athlete ever to win all 4 events in an tournament which he did with an seemingly ease and discipline. A few years later his performance was lacking way behind his own expectations and he retired after being diagnosed with burnout syndrome. Anyways, I think i can sense this spirit of run for success and no stopping with the young english team. Surely they also feel the tromendous support of their fans and I hope to see em in the finals.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 16:47
France v Croatia for the final!

In the end Croatia thoroughly deserved their win, they certainly appeared to want it more than the England team, and in the end were more skilled. In the second half and in extra time England only seemed to be capable of scoring off corners or free kicks. They lacked the ability to build an attack in play to truly threaten the Croatian goal.

Commiserations to sennaFAN.

France now seem to be the favourites, but this Croatian team seem to have a real fire in their collective belly, and lack nothing in the skills department.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 17:05
Croatia looks dead tired during the first half of the match, and they're probably going to be trashed by the time they play France.

As for England... I mean, is this not the most England type of thing that can possibly happen?

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 17:16
Thank you Sadlerau. I congratulate Croatia on their well deserved victory. They weathered the first half and from that point on controlled the game pretty well.
I am proud of our team for their performance in this wonderful tournament and unlike previous England teams they somewhat overachieved given the inexperience of the squad.
Feeling quite emotional, I would love for this journey to have continued but have a feeling we would have been put to the sword in a final against France.
I hope the final does this tournament justice. Croatia have skill and heart and that may just carry them through. France are clear favorites and that may not be the blessing it seems.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2018 18:42
What can you say about Croatia? That's 3 straight extra time matches. They should be out of gas, but I'm not counting them out.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0