[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Climate pre-conditioning
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Carlos Ghosn arrested! He gone
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Grinch "Takeover". Thoughts?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Type S Announcment at LA
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Need a good shop in South SF
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Japanese Auto Manufacturers want two rules changes
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports July Sales Results > > Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2018 13:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I traded in my 2006 Acura RL for the Clarity Plug-In base model. It's really weird driving a Electric car but I'm getting use to it. I've had it for 4 days now, put 350 miles on it and spent roughly 1.5 gallons of gas. The RL would've cost be 19 gallons for 350 miles x $3.69 per gallon in CA.

It's a really nice car to drive, I do miss my RL but the Clarity is somewhat special in it's own way. I hate the rear styling of the car but for the price and how it's equipped, it was a no brainer for me. $32,500 out the door - $3000 trade in - $7,5000 tax credit - $1,500 CA rebate - $400 SDGE credit = Right around $20,000. I got 0.9% interest for 60 months also.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2018 14:39
Congrats! I hope it lasts as long as your RL. What color?
Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2018 15:02
Fitdad wrote:
Congrats! I hope it lasts as long as your RL. What color?

Thanks, came in thinking i wanted Solar Silver but the car looks worst in lighter colors so I went with Modern Steel. In CA, we have a 10 / 150k miles warranty on the battery. Honda will replace it under warranty if it hits a certain threshold.. Hopefully it hits that threshold prior to the warranty expiring assuming I keep it that long.

The RL was nice but the Navigaton unit went out so I couldnt control the climate control until I hit the "Auto" button to get AC or Heat. It was really annoying.

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2018 15:03
wow what a deal! i thought about buying one too but still love my 08 RL
Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2018 16:03
HDNBenjamin wrote:
wow what a deal! i thought about buying one too but still love my 08 RL

I wanted to keep my RL but I lots of deferred maintenance costing $2,500-$3,000. The car was only worth $5,500-$6,500 so I figured it was time to let it go. I was bummed out because I put new tires on it 6 months ago.
- Timing belt / water pump
- valve adjustment
- 2 front struts
- Drive belts
- 4 new rotors and brakes
- Navigation unit (broken)
- Ripped seats both driver and passenger.
- Engine whine when the AC was running

Wanted to drive the RL until the end of September but 1 of the 35 something dealer I emailed over 2 months came in with the price I wanted for the Clarity and my Trade in.

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2018 02:05
Eight months in and our Clarity PHEV hasn't yet been to a gas station. Driving on EV power is addictive. Having the gas engine for long-distance jaunts is comforting (although all our trips are 50-60 miles on EV power so far).

As gas prices increase, this car may become more popular, but it's gas-saving and low-maintenance benefits don't appear to be obvious or important to the car-buying public. It's both Honda's fault and the dealers' fault.

The dealers hate the car because it requires less maintenance. They hate it so much that many refuse to charge the car for test drives, leaving the 103 hp engine to buzz away as it moves the 4059-lb car around. Many dealers won't even charge the battery before delivery!

Sadly, it appears these dealers are not following Honda's guidelines to keep the cars on their lots charged as required to prevent battery damage--even the 12-volt batteries are allowed to go dead. I've heard about prospective buyers having to wait for the dealers to jump start the cars before they can take a test drive (on engine power only)!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2018 13:40
Twiz wrote:

It's a really nice car to drive, I do miss my RL but the Clarity is somewhat special in it's own way. I hate the rear styling of the car but for the price and how it's equipped, it was a no brainer for me. $32,500 out the door - $3000 trade in - $7,5000 tax credit - $1,500 CA rebate - $400 SDGE credit = Right around $20,000. I got 0.9% interest for 60 months also.

The EV drive is addictive. The PHEV and BEV Clarities have a somewhat larger motor than our FCEV and have a bit more "pick up" off the line... and the PHEV has the paddle shifters... which I really loved when I test drove it.

The first thing you notice when you drive an EV is the deep down torque and the instant on throttle response at anything below 30 mph. Honda wise this also includes the Accord iMMDs - I haven't driven the Insight yet.

The Clarity (and iMMD) is faster than our J35 powered vehicles in that all crucial 0-10 mph on stop and go freeway traffic... you know... when you NEED to change lanes NOW. The EV just goes. It's IMMEDIATE.

And soooo smooth. The FCEV and BEV are even quieter. You can easliy have a conversation with the folks in the back seat while tooling around at 80 mph.

The Accord iMMD too is very much like that, but in a more sedate looking design.

Our FCEV is black and I've gotten used to the look. I had it parked next to a Toyota Prime the other day and I compared the body design. The share a lot of elements, only that in the Clarity many of those elements are hidden by subtle curves whereas in the Toyota they have sharp folds that make it obvious -and busy-. Check out the hood design of the Clarity and the Prime. They both have very similar designs, including that flat, almost concave, surface in front of the windshield. In the Clarity you have to look for it, in the Toyota it's an on your face crease.

Anyhow, how do you charge it? We were thinking of getting one but we'd never charge it, only use it as a iMMD hybrid for its HOV stickers. I think those are going away for the PHEV, huh?

Why did you get the base car?

Oh, the interior dash design of the Clarity is awesome. The Accord and Insight are following suit.

Congratulations.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2018 11:24
I am over 4,000 miles and have refilled the tank once. I am really wondering about the oil life for this car. Also, would full synthetic not have a calendar wear date and just be miles? My BMW sits in the garage unused at this point, that is how much I like the Clarity.

Yep, in CA this car is the bargain of the century because of the incentives. I convinced a co-worker to buy one too. He was driving a Prius PHEV. He said the big tax incentives have been used up for Prius...not sure if that is accurate, but interesting.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2018 16:08
GoFaster wrote:
I am over 4,000 miles and have refilled the tank once. I am really wondering about the oil life for this car. Also, would full synthetic not have a calendar wear date and just be miles? My BMW sits in the garage unused at this point, that is how much I like the Clarity.

Yep, in CA this car is the bargain of the century because of the incentives. I convinced a co-worker to buy one too. He was driving a Prius PHEV. He said the big tax incentives have been used up for Prius...not sure if that is accurate, but interesting.

The Clarity BEV lease is a steal. I figure I could charge it daily overnight off the 120VAC in the garage. It might take 12 hours but that's fine.

The 100 mile range would last me like a week and a half.

If that range had been 120 miles, for sure we would have gotten it. Because then my wife could safely take it to work daily.

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 08:49
TonyEX wrote:
GoFaster wrote:

The Clarity BEV lease is a steal. I figure I could charge it daily overnight off the 120VAC in the garage. It might take 12 hours but that's fine.

The 100 mile range would last me like a week and a half.

If that range had been 120 miles, for sure we would have gotten it. Because then my wife could safely take it to work daily.

Tony,

The oomph on the inital is good because of the instant torque but freeway speed this car is definitely lacking compared to any J35 lol. The Clarity is very smooth, I thought my RL was nice when I first got it, this is on another level. Now i see why people love Tesla cars, they're soo quiet. I originally wanted a FCEV but in San Diego, there's only 1 Hydrogen station and it's in Del Mar, I live in downtown so that's a no go. I signed up for the BEV and had the chance to buy it but I decided against it because of the range. I settled with the PHEV, it a compromise of both worlds and there's no range anixety. I get roughly 50 miles per charge so it's 60% of the BEV.

If the BEV's range was at least 150, I'd be all over it. 80ish miles does not cut it for me. One day electric cars will have a range of 400+ and charge within 30 minutes.. Can't wait for that day to come.

I will never ever buy a Prius or even drive one. I can't stand those things and most of their drivers, they're the annoying ECO version of BMW drivers lol. I would however drive a BMW lol

How do I charge it? I live in a condo complex, I don't have an outlet to plug it into. I can charge it on a 240v for free at the airport (2 miles away) on an empty battery, it takes about 2.5hrs. I usually charge the car at work, I use the 110v plug that came with the car, it takes about 13 hours from empty to full (4 miles per hour charging on a regular outlet).

If the current Accord came in a PHEV, I probably would've been the first one in line to buy it. I love the new design inside and out. The Clarity Interior is a notch above the accord but I do like the Accord's info. screen alot more. The Clarity has the older touchscreen design, it's really not as bad as what the auto reviewers say about it.

I got the Base model because it has pretty much everything the touring has minus the leather seats, stock navigation (useless once the car is moving) and power seats. I didn't think the extra $2,500 was worth those features since I use Andriod Auto for my Navigation anyways. If Honda offered cooled seats in the touring trim, I might've paid the extra money for it but they don't so I didn't care for the upgrade.The base seats are pleather throughout the seat with the exception of the middle, I dont like how the cloth feels. I think I'm going to visit a local upholstery shop and ask how much it would cost to add cooled seats and leather. If it's about $1,000, I'll probably have them add it.

I really like the Clarity, I can't say I love it thought. It's currently at the dealership waiting for the to fix the rattle and wind noise coming from the small window in the front passenger side. I got a Pilot Elite Touring as a rental. The 9spd transmission is also nowhere near as bad as what the auto reviewers say. Yeah it's a little slow downshifting and rough from 2nd to 3rd gear but compared to the Honda 5spd auto, I think I'd rather take the 9spd.

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: I was 1 of the 1,615 Clarity Buyers last month [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 08:56
Insightman wrote:
Eight months in and our Clarity PHEV hasn't yet been to a gas station. Driving on EV power is addictive. Having the gas engine for long-distance jaunts is comforting (although all our trips are 50-60 miles on EV power so far).

As gas prices increase, this car may become more popular, but it's gas-saving and low-maintenance benefits don't appear to be obvious or important to the car-buying public. It's both Honda's fault and the dealers' fault.

The dealers hate the car because it requires less maintenance. They hate it so much that many refuse to charge the car for test drives, leaving the 103 hp engine to buzz away as it moves the 4059-lb car around. Many dealers won't even charge the battery before delivery!

Sadly, it appears these dealers are not following Honda's guidelines to keep the cars on their lots charged as required to prevent battery damage--even the 12-volt batteries are allowed to go dead. I've heard about prospective buyers having to wait for the dealers to jump start the cars before they can take a test drive (on engine power only)!

The dealer that I bought my car from didnt have this issue, they were on top of these thing issues you brought up. I don't know where you're from but in CA, I think the dealers understand how to cater to our demographic of more "environmentally friendly people". Not trying to say it in a snobby way but that's how CA tries to model the state and a lot of the people that live here feels "greener" that others... I'm not part of that statistic even though I bought a Clarity lol. I still have my Lifted 2015 Tundra Crewmax Platinum getting 10.5 mpg.

But you're right, the gas engine is way underpowered for this heavy car, good thing we're usually on EV power.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0