[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
General Talk --> Re: '08 Honda Leather
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: 2019 Acura RLX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Ridgeline - General Talk > > Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Profile for A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-01-2018 15:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Apologies if this has already been posted ...

Edmunds takes the G2 Ridgeline to Death Valley vs. a Toyota Tacoma TRD and ... surprise: The Ridgeline shows up the Taco

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/death-valley-torture-test-2017-honda-ridgeline-vs-2016-toyota-tacoma-trd-off-road-comparison-test.html

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-01-2018 18:20
interesting read. I feel like I read a story where a Ridgeline blew a shock (or two) on something like this and people were ripping it.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-01-2018 20:09
I seriously seriously thought the topic is about a taco (food) being compared to Ridgeline in Death Valley.

I never doubt Honda engineering, but I occasionally doubt its styling decisions. On the picture with Ridgeline and Tacoma side by side, I'd go for the Toyota based on looks alone. The Ridgeline just looks like a three row SUV got chopped.

A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-01-2018 22:47
JeffX wrote:
interesting read. I feel like I read a story where a Ridgeline blew a shock (or two) on something like this and people were ripping it.

This article kind of references an original test where a G1 took the same trip and did blow the shocks -- although it did escape Death Valley in that condition.

A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-01-2018 22:51
Midi_Amp wrote:
I seriously seriously thought the topic is about a taco (food) being compared to Ridgeline in Death Valley.

I never doubt Honda engineering, but I occasionally doubt its styling decisions. On the picture with Ridgeline and Tacoma side by side, I'd go for the Toyota based on looks alone. The Ridgeline just looks like a three row SUV got chopped.

I've fallen into this Toyota trap -- twice. I got a new '99 Tacoma 4x4 with factory 31s. Cramped cabin, shitty ride. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Then, stupidly I ignored that experience and got a new 4Runner. Same issues -- cramped cabin, shitty ride.

I'm actually saving up for a G1 Ridgeline now. A bit more of a rugged look, VTEC growl, nice OEM accessories. Bad mileage be damned!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2018 01:22
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:
Midi_Amp wrote:

I've fallen into this Toyota trap -- twice. I got a new '99 Tacoma 4x4 with factory 31s. Cramped cabin, shitty ride. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Then, stupidly I ignored that experience and got a new 4Runner. Same issues -- cramped cabin, shitty ride.

I'm actually saving up for a G1 Ridgeline now. A bit more of a rugged look, VTEC growl, nice OEM accessories. Bad mileage be damned!

Yes. All of this.

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2018 06:48
I did that same Death Valley trip in an old Isuzu Trooper back in the 90s...fun! Id say I was going 25-30mph in some spots. Didnt even think to worry about the shocks...
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 10:36
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:
Midi_Amp wrote:

I was originally interested in a Taco along with the Ridgeline, but scratched it off the list after riding in one as a passenger for over an hour. The same for the 4Runner. If I wanted to go trail climbing, then I might reconsider. So far, the Ridgeline has been excellent.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 11:26
Dren wrote:
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:
Midi_Amp wrote:

I was originally interested in a Taco along with the Ridgeline, but scratched it off the list after riding in one as a passenger for over an hour. The same for the 4Runner. If I wanted to go trail climbing, then I might reconsider. So far, the Ridgeline has been excellent.

I have an 03 Tacoma. It is a fairly hard ride, particularly compared to our Odyssey and MDX. It has been some time since I have been riding in a Ridgeline like the G1, but I have to imagine it tends to favor the Odyssey ride style more than the truck. I used to have a Ford Ranger years ago that was given to me, so I drove it a long time, but it was so bouncy that there were times I was fearful of losing control.

I thought about a Ridgeline years ago, but I have to say that since I came about my Tacoma for free I can't complain too much about it. It is kind of cool on damp roads to spin the tires a little here and there, every 4 months or so when it rains in Phoenix. The Ridgeline is a fantastic car in my opinion, but I'd always feel compelled to baby it I suppose knowing it isn't "trucky" underneath.

As I do a lot of my own service, I will say that RWD is a preferable setup a lot of maintenance.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 11:29
BTW, I'm not knocking the Ridgeline by saying it isn't "trucky" underneath, I'm just trying to state the obvious.

I'm one of the more vocal defenders of the Ridgeline and its mission on Car and Driver blogs.

Impossible Dream
Profile for Impossible Dream
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 12:07
Midi_Amp wrote:

Agreed on the styling. We even have a new Ridgeline in the family and with all the styling bits it looks a BIT better, but a stock Tacoma just looks the part of a Truck.... I don't care for the overtly masculine stuff that the American trucks go for, but at least the G1 Ridgeline didn't share the same face as the Pilot of the generation.

We have all the same bits on our Ridgeline as this picture, (roof rack, fender flares) so it does make it look a bit more purposeful than the regular Ridgeline. That said, we love the ride and handling just as we did with the original G1 Ridgeline which we traded in for the G2 one. Gas mileage is miles better too. Great to see the Ridgeline can take the abuse too as per the article.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 12:38
NSXman wrote:
BTW, I'm not knocking the Ridgeline by saying it isn't "trucky" underneath, I'm just trying to state the obvious.

I'm one of the more vocal defenders of the Ridgeline and its mission on Car and Driver blogs.

If I took offense, I wouldn't have bought one! I don't baby mine at all. I bought it to be used. It does great in the snow, too. I'm going to change the oil for the first time, so I'll see how maintenance friendly it is.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 12:42
That does look pretty sharp. It isn't as boxy as a typical truck, but that doesn't bother me. I think it looks a lot better than the funky G1. As far as trucks go, I think the new Rams look pretty sharp.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 12:48
Dren wrote:
That does look pretty sharp. It isn't as boxy as a typical truck, but that doesn't bother me. I think it looks a lot better than the funky G1. As far as trucks go, I think the new Rams look pretty sharp.

I drove a new 2019 RAM 1500 a little over a month ago. That really is a nice truck. I think FCA has done a great job with the infotainment systems and the interior work in general. And for a big ass body on frame truck, the drive was pretty nice. It was cool to see it had USB-C type charge ports standard too.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 18:59
How do the Colorado/Canyon drive compared to the Tacoma and Ridgeline?
fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2018 21:22
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:

90% of Toyota buyers.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 05:57
Impossible Dream wrote:
Midi_Amp wrote:

Agreed on the styling. We even have a new Ridgeline in the family and with all the styling bits it looks a BIT better, but a stock Tacoma just looks the part of a Truck.... I don't care for the overtly masculine stuff that the American trucks go for, but at least the G1 Ridgeline didn't share the same face as the Pilot of the generation.

We have all the same bits on our Ridgeline as this picture, (roof rack, fender flares) so it does make it look a bit more purposeful than the regular Ridgeline. That said, we love the ride and handling just as we did with the original G1 Ridgeline which we traded in for the G2 one. Gas mileage is miles better too. Great to see the Ridgeline can take the abuse too as per the article.

Well, from someone who's shortlisting and probably going to buy Honda BR-V, I actually understand that notion. I might not believe Honda design, but for engineering, I put my faith in them. BR-V is perhaps similar case like Pilot and Ridgeline although massively simplified. The BR-V is based off Mobilio, a compact three row MPV. From the outside, the BR-V looks too much like Mobilio, some people even considers the car as nothing more than a jacked up Mobilio. Yet, under the skin, it has so many different mechanical bits that warrants its own lineup. Also, because the design retains about 70% of Mobilio, it's quite spacious inside and seats adults relatively comfortable on the third row.

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 04:45

I like it! Nice and clean/un-temporal design, like a taller HRV? ( first time I read about it/check this market-specific Honda). Will age well + 3 rows! More like the size of a CRV then?

Cyisalwayshungry
Profile for Cyisalwayshungry
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 09:44
When driving on these washboard roads you actually have to drive faster for things to smoothen out. Bilsteins shocks (at least in the Taco) are digressive. When you drive faster the washboard feeling goes away quite easily. I have done this in my FJ and my friend in his Nissan Frontier with no issues at all because we drove faster. Anything ABOVE 30 is ideal. Driving slower would actually induce more input into the shock causing it to fail. Id take the Taco manual 6spd over a Ridgeline any day.
HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 14:03
Cyisalwayshungry wrote:
When driving on these washboard roads you actually have to drive faster for things to smoothen out. Bilsteins shocks (at least in the Taco) are digressive. When you drive faster the washboard feeling goes away quite easily. I have done this in my FJ and my friend in his Nissan Frontier with no issues at all because we drove faster. Anything ABOVE 30 is ideal. Driving slower would actually induce more input into the shock causing it to fail. Id take the Taco manual 6spd over a Ridgeline any day.

Reminds me of the "MythBusters" episode designed to test same:

"The MythBusters did warn that if a driver encounters a major bump - say, a pothole - along a normal paved road, slowing down for the sudden bounce is a wise idea for the vehicle's suspension. But if you find yourself cruising on a washboard road in the Australian Outback, put the pedal to the metal and enjoy the ride."

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/make-a-bumpy-drive-smoother-by-driving-faster/

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 20:11
Mikgtir wrote:

I like it! Nice and clean/un-temporal design, like a taller HRV? ( first time I read about it/check this market-specific Honda). Will age well + 3 rows! More like the size of a CRV then?

IMO it is a sensible car, and if consider its competition (the stupid horrible Avanza) it is no contest. And actually is more like a higher minivan than a suv. Will be underpowered if you put full 7 people in it. It's still smaller than CRV on outside and very narrow. It feels like it's own thing rather than CRV or HRV. (HRV seem closer to CRV).

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 20:16
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:

Edmunds takes the G2 Ridgeline to Death Valley vs. a Toyota Tacoma TRD and ... surprise: The Ridgeline shows up the Taco

Why did they (Toyota) put optional shock absorer that are too small and won't last a few miles in offroad conditons?

In my old job we drive Hiluxes and don't see shock absorber problems much but then again we drive on very soft mud most of the time. Common problem is overheating the diff IIRC

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2018 21:23
HondaForever wrote:
Reminds me of the "MythBusters" episode designed to test same:

"The MythBusters did warn that if a driver encounters a major bump - say, a pothole - along a normal paved road, slowing down for the sudden bounce is a wise idea for the vehicle's suspension. But if you find yourself cruising on a washboard road in the Australian Outback, put the pedal to the metal and enjoy the ride."

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/make-a-bumpy-drive-smoother-by-driving-faster/

I think "pedal to the metal" may be somewhat misleading in this context. I don't remember the exact details of the Mythbuster's program [shock, horror!] but I believe, from experience, that the "right" speed for the washboard type roads is dependent upon the relationship between the individual vehicle's suspension and the frequency and amplitude of the undulations? Get them badly out of phase and you wont have much left of your vehicle, let alone the suspension. :)

Oh, and you don't have to travel to the Aussie Outback to experience them out here. I could take you to miles of "pea" gravel outer metropolitan roads, within 10 minutes of where I live that allows you to experience these washboard type situations! Fun in the dry, and a lot of fun in the wet season.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 16:16
Midi_Amp wrote:

I beg to differ. I like the way my Ridgeline BE (La Black Mamba) looks.

What kind of taco?

I sort of like the Korean bulgogi tacos. Great fusion, just as the Ridgeline AWD is a truck with the ride of a mid size car with a good suspension.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 17:23
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/death-valley-torture-test-2017-honda-ridgeline-vs-2016-toyota-tacoma-trd-off-road-comparison-test.html

We took a '16 RDX Tech to Borrego Spring State Park. All of its roads, except the main one down the middle, are dirt roads, some with buckboard surfaces that will rattle your brain.

I found that doing 20 mph would smooth out the ride easily and was able to cruise up and down roads marked for "Jeeping". Even sandy ones.

Sure, I didn't go into any true hardcore "Jeeping Roads", but the RDX felt fine, going all over the place, in true AC'd comfort while the Jeeps around us were "enjoying" all that mid spring heat and dust ( it was almost 100F).

There's a lot to be said for an IRS.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 17:36
Impossible Dream wrote:
Midi_Amp wrote:

La Black Mamba has the deluxe running boards and the window visors (the strips of chrome look very good), the sport grill ( crooked dealer kept the Black Edition logo ), hard tonneau cover and 2" towing set up.

It looks like a truck, works like a suburban truck, destroys extremely rare parts on very extremely rare vintage quad receivers with its incredibly insane narrow rear door openings ( just like a damn truck ), forces you to choose between cab and bed and trunk... mostly like a truck.

It even tunes Country Music on the XM radio.

Note: Listening to WC games on the XM Fox Sport Channel sucks. I suppose NFL will do better? Just like a truck.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2018 17:12
One of the guys on my team showed up last night with his new Cavalry Blue Tacome TRD Pro truck, complete with a 6 speed manual. This is what I would get for sure if I were in the market.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2018 16:17
DCR wrote:
One of the guys on my team showed up last night with his new Cavalry Blue Tacome TRD Pro truck, complete with a 6 speed manual. This is what I would get for sure if I were in the market.

I'm sure you won't take that on 1200 mile drives.

Unless you take lots of Tylenol.

It's a different kind of truck, and oddly a throw back.

OTOH, a perfect Technical Truck to mount a 50mm and go on a revolution.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-09-2018 04:49
DCR wrote:

And I thought the Acura Beak was ugly......... :)

Impossible Dream
Profile for Impossible Dream
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 13:59
DCR wrote:

Just looked up what this looks like as I've never seen that colour before... Looks awesome! Way better than the Ridgeline in terms of "truckness". Honda... You have excellent fundamentals, the Ridgeline is an awesome truck, but why did you make it look like watered down Pilot?

vs.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0