[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Climate pre-conditioning
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Carlos Ghosn arrested! He gone
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Grinch "Takeover". Thoughts?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Type S Announcment at LA
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Need a good shop in South SF
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Japanese Auto Manufacturers want two rules changes
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > NSX > > Re: NSX Recall

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2018 10:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Precision Crafted Performance appears to be slipping!

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2018 10:24
Mikeydred wrote:

Precision Crafted Performance appears to be slipping!

[url][/url]https://www.motor1.com/news/265306/acura-nsx-recall/

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2018 11:48
"Acura will voluntarily recall 967 model-year 2017-2018 NSX vehicles in the United States to replace the left and right fuel tanks, free of charge. The NSX is equipped with two separate fuel tanks connected with a crossover pipe. In certain vehicles, the crossover pipe was installed incorrectly. An incorrectly installed crossover pipe could result in a fuel leak over time as the vehicle is driven. A fuel leak, in the presence of outside combustion sources, could increase the risk of a fire. Acura has received no reports of fires, crashes or injuries related to this issue."

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 11:26
What is it going to take to get at these?

Fuel Tank
Finding the ideal weight distribution, center of gravity, shape and placement of the fuel tank was a difficult design task, especially when taking into consideration protection in the event of a rear-end collision. The solution was a design that uses twin tanks composed of a specialized resin material that allowed for tremendous flexibility in the freedom of the shape of the fuel tanks for optimal packaging and enhanced safety. The tanks are centrally located between the engine and the IPU.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 12:14
I'm guessing the entire rear drive train will have to be removed.
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 12:25

Another reason the NSX should not have been a Hybrid...which probably complicated the placement and design of the fuel tank(s).

Well...due to the apparent complexity of getting access to these tanks (and many labor hours to pay the dealers), there goes whatever meager profit there was for Honda with this vehicle.

When it rains, it pours...

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 13:50
Looks like there are 2 recalls. This second one results in inability to start engine once the circuits short out.

Sep 8, 2018 - TORRANCE, Calif.
793 NSX vehicles affected in the United States
Center high mount brake lights will be replaced, free of charge
No related crashes or injuries have been reported
Acura will voluntarily recall 793 model-year 2017 NSX vehicles in the United States to replace the center high mount brake light, free of charge. A short circuit may occur in the center high mount brake light, causing a blown fuse and deactivation of all brake lights. When this condition occurs, warning lights illuminate on the dashboard, and the engine will not restart after the ignition is turned off. Inoperative brake lights could increase the risk of a crash. Acura has received no reports of crashes or injuries related to this issue.

Acura is announcing this recall to encourage owners of affected vehicles to take them to an authorized dealer for repair as soon as they receive notification from Acura. Due to the relatively small number of affected vehicles, where possible, Acura will attempt to contact owners of affected vehicles by phone to schedule repairs. Owners of 2017 NSX vehicles can also determine if their vehicles require repair by visiting www.recalls.acura.com or by calling (844) 682-2872. Mailed notification to owners of any remaining unrepaired vehicles will occur in early-Nov. 2018.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 14:17
DCR wrote:
What is it going to take to get at these?

Fuel Tank
Finding the ideal weight distribution, center of gravity, shape and placement of the fuel tank was a difficult design task, especially when taking into consideration protection in the event of a rear-end collision. The solution was a design that uses twin tanks composed of a specialized resin material that allowed for tremendous flexibility in the freedom of the shape of the fuel tanks for optimal packaging and enhanced safety. The tanks are centrally located between the engine and the IPU.

Dunno - probably drops out from underneath and nearly as bitch of a job as it is on the old NSX. Well, getting the front exhaust off can be.

Without the manual, there's really no point in guessing.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 14:58
silverf16 wrote:
Looks like there are 2 recalls. This second one results in inability to start engine once the circuits short out.

Sep 8, 2018 - TORRANCE, Calif.
793 NSX vehicles affected in the United States
Center high mount brake lights will be replaced, free of charge
No related crashes or injuries have been reported
Acura will voluntarily recall 793 model-year 2017 NSX vehicles in the United States to replace the center high mount brake light, free of charge. A short circuit may occur in the center high mount brake light, causing a blown fuse and deactivation of all brake lights. When this condition occurs, warning lights illuminate on the dashboard, and the engine will not restart after the ignition is turned off. Inoperative brake lights could increase the risk of a crash. Acura has received no reports of crashes or injuries related to this issue.

Acura is announcing this recall to encourage owners of affected vehicles to take them to an authorized dealer for repair as soon as they receive notification from Acura. Due to the relatively small number of affected vehicles, where possible, Acura will attempt to contact owners of affected vehicles by phone to schedule repairs. Owners of 2017 NSX vehicles can also determine if their vehicles require repair by visiting www.recalls.acura.com or by calling (844) 682-2872. Mailed notification to owners of any remaining unrepaired vehicles will occur in early-Nov. 2018.

the "can't restart engine after the ignition is turned off" part sounds a lot like a safety feature that's intentionally there. So people aren't driving around with failed brakelight circuits. I wonder what's causing the original CHMBLs to fail.

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 15:43
Owners must be excited to have children take apart their cars.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 16:18
garoto wrote:
Owners must be excited to have children take apart their cars.

My feelings exactly, hopefully they use the white glove service unlike the last time we had the MDX in for a broken third row seat latch they scuffed up our interior.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 16:34
After hearing "experts" complaining the LHF and Godzilla were soulless machines of perfections. Having electrical problems and needing to tear the car apart due to design issues is very much like the soul of Euro supercars. Maybe the NSX will get the snob cache now that owners get to complain/brag while showing pictures of most of the drive train out of their exotic so a pipe can be replaced.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 17:26
CB77 wrote:

Another reason the NSX should not have been a Hybrid...which probably complicated the placement and design of the fuel tank(s).

Nah, BMW was using a saddle tank design over two decades ago, when they were the epitome of ultimate analog driving machine. It's merely about allowing optimization of drivetrain placement (such as driveshaft in the FR BMW) and weight distribution.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 18:28

OK...but it still shouldn't be. Big increase in cost, weight and complexity, for minimal (if any) gain.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 20:10
The fact that Honda design the system like this is disturbing. They are going to disable the car from starting because a brake light circuit is out.

Yes, it is dangerous to drive with a malfunctioning brake light. It is also dangerous to be stranded. Not sure I have a good solution but I'm not sure the manufacturer is the one to make the call to leave one potentially stranded.

What happened? The Honda lawyers got invited to the DFMEA cross functional review?

JeffX wrote:

the "can't restart engine after the ignition is turned off" part sounds a lot like a safety feature that's intentionally there. So people aren't driving around with failed brakelight circuits. I wonder what's causing the original CHMBLs to fail.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 20:27
silverf16 wrote:
The fact that Honda design the system like this is disturbing. They are going to disable the car from starting because a brake light circuit is out.

Yes, it is dangerous to drive with a malfunctioning brake light. It is also dangerous to be stranded. Not sure I have a good solution but I'm not sure the manufacturer is the one to make the call to leave one potentially stranded.

What happened? The Honda lawyers got invited to the DFMEA cross functional review?

JeffX wrote:

Yeah, I could be completely wrong. But it wouldn't surprise me if maybe Acura/Honda thinks it's better to have an owner call roadside assistance to be picked up rather than have the potential liability of a $200k car on the road (and one that's a very low profile/low visibility one) with no functional brake lights.

maybe I will find the fuse for the brakelight circuit in my Civic to see what sort of things happen, if anything.

It's hilarious how a single dyno run (without activating the test mode) will trigger seemingly every warning system in the car.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2018 23:59
On a related note, the irony to this brake light issue is that there is an epidemic among many drivers that automakers can easily solve. 15-20 years ago, manufacturers came out with backlit instrument panels that are automatically lit up in the day time for the driver to see the display. Now, when the drivers jump into their car at night, many no longer turn on the light switch because the dash is automatically lit up in full daytime brightness. As a result, we have drivers driving in the dark with their exterior lights completely shutoff with drivers oblivious to the fact that they are totally blind to other drivers. It is outright dangerous. Much worse than an NSX without brake lights. At least the NSX will still have headlight and tail lights.

I spoke with an executive at the National Safety Council and they indicate that congress has no appetite to pass legislation to make this a mandate. Supposedly, making the back up camera a mandate was like pulling teeth for legislators. Hence no one wants to make this one law. In the meantime, our neighbors to our north have passed this law and will be implemented in 2021.

http://canada.autonews.com/article/20180321/CANADA/180329915/new-auto-lighting-regulations-target-phantom-vehicles

So we are in the hands of the automakers to make us safe since Congress will not act. Car makers created this mess by lighting up dash boards, not knowing the psychology of inattentive drivers may not turn on headlights at night.

The solution is easy, which I have seen on some Acura if not all Acura vehicles, though I have not seen them on Hondas.

It is as simple as making the headlight AUTO setting as the default position. The only way to turn off the headlight is to turn a spring loaded switch to the OFF position. Because it is spring loaded, it will return to the AUTO position when the knob is released hence the next time someone starts the car, it will be in AUTO mode. In essence, when the driver turns off the headlight switch, it is a one time switch for that key cycles and next time it is started will default back to AUTO.

It won't catch 100% of the cars but it will catch the great majority that are driving around clueless they are completely in the dark. Collisions and fatalities could be reduced by switching to these stalk switches.

But that might add 3 bucks to the cost of every car because they have to add an ambient light sensor. For that, I have not seen this feature on Honda but have on Acuras.

In a country like America, what we need is a good high profile lawsuit against automakers to solve this problem. $3 a vehicle will solve it and save lives or wait for a lawsuit. I get the bean counters only think a certain way- It's the business case. Nevermind doing what is right.

As for NSX, do you really want to strand NSX owners in a dark road on a winter night when they blow a brake light circuit? Reprogram the Body control module to put up a nusiance buzzer, flash the tail light and the hazards until it is fixed but don't default to no start as a detection mode for your DFMEA. Who the hell approve this DFMEA is clueless and grossly misjudged by creating a bigger problem and inconvenience for the owner.

If you are on going cross country, good luck finding an Acura dealer if you ever blow the brake circuit. It is a good way to build brand loyalty by pissing off an owner who paid six figures for his Acura flagship.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 00:51
Any warning lights for the NSX and the NSX will not start.So if that happens to you do not turn off the engine until your some place safe or home.

I think this comes from the fires that Ferrari and Honda had with their MR Sports Cars in the past.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 01:18
Wow, thanks Rolled. This car is really complicated with pretty extreme fail safes. I was thinking this may have something to do with the test unit that caught on fire while undergoing development testing on the Ring back in 2014.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 08:32
silverf16 wrote:
In a country like America, what we need is a good high profile lawsuit against automakers to solve this problem. $3 a vehicle will solve it and save lives or wait for a lawsuit. I get the bean counters only think a certain way- It's the business case. Nevermind doing what is right.

Fucking hell, you'd think these evil automakers are out to kill us all.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 08:35
CB77 wrote:

OK...but it still shouldn't be. Big increase in cost, weight and complexity, for minimal (if any) gain.

Improvements in CoG, which is what this was done for, can be large and very beneficial for an exotic sports car, especially one as heavy as the NSX.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 09:01
Honda sensing is now standard on every Civic but they won't do this simple fix.

Don't wait till you or your loved ones get hit by one before you realize it is a problem. If you do a 5 why analysis, you will realize the root systemic cause of this problem is in the design.

It is a safety problem and safety advocates know it and I literally see it every night on my drive home. Bring on the lawsuit to make them act.

There are many articles documenting this. The fact that Congress won't act is even more troubling because it reinforces the fact that they are in office to serve themselves and will only act to save their ass when a high profile case arises.

In the case of the NSX, it looks like the lawyers at Honda is getting their hands into design decisions. Any check engine light will render the car unable to start. Any car can catch on fire but to succumb to this drastic measure is over the top and makes me wonder if they just put a bandaid over the problem instead of solving the root cause of preventing fires. Not all Honda have this extreme fail safe measure. I think they pushed the car out the door before it was fully baked. This pisses me off because i want to buy this car but i will not tolerate this level of bullshit design that I could get stranded at any moment in time if something as small as a sensor goes bad

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 11:03
The last three vehicles I've owned all had auto headlights; a Subaru and two Hondas.

All Civics have auto lights as standard. How hard is it to select auto and not touch it again?

Mikgtir
Profile for Mikgtir
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 11:38
Dren wrote:
The last three vehicles I've owned all had auto headlights; a Subaru and two Hondas.

All Civics have auto lights as standard. How hard is it to select auto and not touch it again?

Blinker fluid can sometimes pervert the headlights gas refill.

Ask bimmer and méditerranean drivers.... Blinkers for what? " useful as the Pope's balls..."

No comment, NSX recalled, what else? A reliable bimmer.....

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2018 12:47
To clarify, having auto headlights alone does not solve the problem. What's needed is a headlight switch with only 2 positions - Namely Auto (default position), and momentary switch for OFF. The off position is spring loaded so it will never stay in that position. It give the operator the ability to turn it off at will but it will always start on Auto since it is the only fixed switch position.

First link below gives you a visual representation of the problem. 2nd link is write up from Doug Demuro with his recommendation for a fix. It is a major problem. I recognize this 15 years ago and it is getting so much worse now because almost all dashes are back lit (daytime) and all cars now have DRL.

https://jalopnik.com/how-led-daytime-running-lights-and-lcd-instruments-are-1782654483

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/heres-why-so-many-cars-drive-around-their-headligh-265587

https://driving.ca/honda/auto-news/entertainment/bright-dashboards-and-daytime-lights-continue-to-fool-us

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: NSX Recall    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 14:37
silverf16 wrote:
To clarify, having auto headlights alone does not solve the problem. What's needed is a headlight switch with only 2 positions - Namely Auto (default position), and momentary switch for OFF. The off position is spring loaded so it will never stay in that position. It give the operator the ability to turn it off at will but it will always start on Auto since it is the only fixed switch position.

First link below gives you a visual representation of the problem. 2nd link is write up from Doug Demuro with his recommendation for a fix. It is a major problem. I recognize this 15 years ago and it is getting so much worse now because almost all dashes are back lit (daytime) and all cars now have DRL.

https://jalopnik.com/how-led-daytime-running-lights-and-lcd-instruments-are-1782654483

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/heres-why-so-many-cars-drive-around-their-headligh-265587

https://driving.ca/honda/auto-news/entertainment/bright-dashboards-and-daytime-lights-continue-to-fool-us

The MDX is like that and I assume other Acura's as well. Auto is default setting and in order to turn off headlights/DRL stalk has to be twisted to off position.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0