[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Climate pre-conditioning
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Carlos Ghosn arrested! He gone
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Grinch "Takeover". Thoughts?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Type S Announcment at LA
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Need a good shop in South SF
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Japanese Auto Manufacturers want two rules changes
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Clarity > > Re: Clarity BEV

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
4fc
Profile for 4fc
Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-29-2018 18:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So the short story short. I just wanted to go and test drive Clarity full electric, since it fit's my new commute and obviously I moved to a state when you can have one. But the reality is that you can't. I was told two different things by 2 different dealers. they get one each month and you can't test drive one just reserve online and buy it when it comes in. Or there are no clarity BEV in whole state of California and they don't know when they're going to get more!
A month or so ago I had a friend lend me a HAH 2014/15 and I had a blast after not driving honda for the last 4 years and on top of that electric for the most part of my commute.

I see few post here in the forums from SoCal area about PHEV and I was even thinking about Clarity FC, which have similar leasing terms and they give you credit for the hydrogen, since it's 2x then filling up with gas, but decided against it.

Anyway, honda seems to advertise that but they don't seem to have the cars or the demand is too big. I might go with used honda fit for 2 year lease instead of 3 years for the Clarity electric, but just wanted to have more space on the back with 2 car seats.

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2018 01:43
they had test drive events for the FCEV and BEVs a while back. The BEVS are high in demand because of the $1.5k down $200/m with 20k miles/yr lease deal. The FCEV has a lease deal as well(more expensive but longer range and free hydrogen)
4fc
Profile for 4fc
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 02:20
Well, I missed them both since I was on the marked back then and I assumed by the time I might be in the market they'll have them available. It's crazy. All I got from the dealers is that there are no clarity EVs anywhere in California and they don't know when the'll get more and one dealer told me that the FCEV is on hold till april 2019!
Anybody has any insight information on this?

4fc
Profile for 4fc
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2018 00:52
Got a call from my local dealer and as of then I'm on all 3 lists for Clarity BEV, FCEV and Fit EV, but chances are very slim if at all.
BEV and FCEV seems to be on hold and If I get lucky somebody my get off lease Fit EV.

Well Fit EV is not on honda web site anymore:(

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2018 09:02
4fc wrote:
So the short story short. I just wanted to go and test drive Clarity full electric, since it fit's my new commute and obviously I moved to a state when you can have one. But the reality is that you can't. I was told two different things by 2 different dealers. they get one each month and you can't test drive one just reserve online and buy it when it comes in. Or there are no clarity BEV in whole state of California and they don't know when they're going to get more!
A month or so ago I had a friend lend me a HAH 2014/15 and I had a blast after not driving honda for the last 4 years and on top of that electric for the most part of my commute.

I see few post here in the forums from SoCal area about PHEV and I was even thinking about Clarity FC, which have similar leasing terms and they give you credit for the hydrogen, since it's 2x then filling up with gas, but decided against it.

Anyway, honda seems to advertise that but they don't seem to have the cars or the demand is too big. I might go with used honda fit for 2 year lease instead of 3 years for the Clarity electric, but just wanted to have more space on the back with 2 car seats.

Why don't you just go and test-drive the PhEV, the experience should be pretty close for as long as you remain on the EV mode (which you should be able to do for a dealer test-drive).

From memory the BEV has slightly less power, but I doubt there will be any fundamental differences otherwise. Maybe Jeff can tell you more (I think he had the opportunity to drive test both during his numerous press events).

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2018 16:34
4fc wrote:
Got a call from my local dealer and as of then I'm on all 3 lists for Clarity BEV, FCEV and Fit EV, but chances are very slim if at all.
BEV and FCEV seems to be on hold and If I get lucky somebody my get off lease Fit EV.

Well Fit EV is not on honda web site anymore:(

Fit EV program ended last month :(

4fc
Profile for 4fc
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-25-2018 20:38
I tried to but when asked the dealer if I can keep it only in electric and if it's pretty much the same as BEV he wasn't sure. They were busy on that saturday afternoon and I wanted a car they didn't have. The biggest problem is the later - they just don't have it and tell me it's in in hold.
I know that with my 20 mile commute I can get by with the Plugin but not sure I want to lug around the gas engine on that ride and I don't want to hear and deal with the ICE and it's maintanence if I don't have to:)

4fc
Profile for 4fc
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-25-2018 20:41
Too bad indeed. I should've jump on that deal(as a former 1G fit owner of a blue one) or the clarity BEV.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2018 08:50
4fc wrote:
I tried to but when asked the dealer if I can keep it only in electric and if it's pretty much the same as BEV he wasn't sure. They were busy on that saturday afternoon and I wanted a car they didn't have. The biggest problem is the later - they just don't have it and tell me it's in in hold.
I know that with my 20 mile commute I can get by with the Plugin but not sure I want to lug around the gas engine on that ride and I don't want to hear and deal with the ICE and it's maintanence if I don't have to:)

I don't know in the US, but elsewhere ignorance on the products they sell is the norma at Honda dealers.

That said, the car and drivetrain are pretty close, so it might not be the exact same thing, but you are getting pretty close experience by driving the PHEV on electric.

I can't see however how one could expect a limited production car like the Clarity BEV to be sitting on a lot waiting for you to pick it up, nor what's the issue with ordering one if you so want. If I were you, I'd go see the PHEV, drive it around in electric, check the differences on the catalogue, and then just order mine in my favorite colour.

But maybe I am missing something on the US way.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-27-2018 11:45
4fc wrote:

You can keep the Clarity PHEV in pure electric while driving it for a lot of the driving time as long as you're driving in Econ mode and not asking for max performance. I was told that Honda limits the peak battery output to 100kW. The car is rated at 135kW peak so if you're merging on the freeway or sprinting away from a stoplight at max acceleration, it will fire the engine to supplement the battery's output. But if you drive with it below the threshold of the "click point" of the throttle pedal all the time and you're okay with leisurely acceleration, it should stay in pure electric mode until the system decides the battery needs to be juiced.

This differs from the Volt, which will apparently take max output from the battery at any time, right until the point you deplete the battery to a critical level, at which point the ICE will fire up to start recharging the battery pack. Until you reach that point in the Volt, the engine won't fire under any circumstances.

4fc
Profile for 4fc
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2018 02:30
Well, I understand that Clarity BEV is limited production hence the lease only option. What I don't understand is why they advertise it on the honda usa web site when they don't have it available and I was told by 2 different dealers that it's not available in the 2 states they only have that program. I understand that I'm late to the party but I didn't get on the waiting list back in april, when they have the beast deal on it since I dind't need the car back then, assuming the deal will be still going when I need it at the end of august. I understand that it's in part my fault but as I said I got on all the 3 waiting lists and supposedly they'll call me if they get some in and if it's my turn on the list. I have very little hope for this to happen and unfortunately I might look elsewhere given the time constrain.
I don't like doing leases but given the pace of the battery development I was willing to do that.

I was ready to test drive the PHEV just to check it out and my assumption was that it'll be close to the BEV plus the added weight of the ICE, but dealer wasn't eager to let me drive it and I wasn't pushy enough.

Nissan Leaf has similar deal and their lot is full of leaves(sp) but I kind of didn't like theit implementation if epedal. Guess I can go driving without it. It wasn't adding more regenerative breaking but it was somehow making the acceleration restricted as well. On to of that it was way to agressive - not natural. Assuming it has radar it could use that to slow down the car and stop just when it reaches the car in front. Instead on an empty street it acted as if there was a car in front as soon as I got of the "gas" pedal.

4fc
Profile for 4fc
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2018 02:32
Jeff, thanks for verifying my assumption.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2018 22:51
4fc wrote:

Get the Accord iMMD sedan.

The PHEV loses its car pool access next year. I think the BEV might too ( thanks to Tesla )... only the FCEV keeps it and you can't have one if you don't already have it. In any event, charging your car at home in the Soviet Republik of Calimexistan almost requires that you have solar panels chez vous and that you sign up for the EV time tiered rate.. plus make sure you got that 240V/50A amp line....

The iMMD hybrid is really a great road car... and you don't have to fill it up very often. We sold ours when the FCEV came up, but otherwise we would have upgraded to the new one.

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-04-2018 13:46
TonyEX wrote:
4fc wrote:

Get the Accord iMMD sedan.

The PHEV loses its car pool access next year. I think the BEV might too ( thanks to Tesla )... only the FCEV keeps it and you can't have one if you don't already have it. In any event, charging your car at home in the Soviet Republik of Calimexistan almost requires that you have solar panels chez vous and that you sign up for the EV time tiered rate.. plus make sure you got that 240V/50A amp line....

The iMMD hybrid is really a great road car... and you don't have to fill it up very often. We sold ours when the FCEV came up, but otherwise we would have upgraded to the new one.

TonyEx

The carpool sticker will be good until Jan. 1, 2022 for BEV, PHEV, And FCEV... :)

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-04-2018 16:17

The carpool sticker will be good until Jan. 1, 2022 for BEV, PHEV, And FCEV... :)

About a week ago I received notice from the California DMV that my RED HOV stickers are good until Jan. 1, 2022 for my Clarity PHEV.

4fc
Profile for 4fc
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 01:54
Tony, I think stickers are good for at least 3 years. And we have to thank tesla for pushing evs mainstream.
I got a colleague at work with tesla S 75 and he says that it takes $11 to go 250 miles and he just plugs it overnight in regular 120V outlet, which is quarter of the rate I pay for gas for the same distance. If I get EV I don't plan to go level 2 charger at home. 4 miles per hour is plenty if I plug it every night with my commute. I used to own 2003 HCH and 1G fit(before the kids) but I'm ready for EV and don't want to have a hybrid even if it's PHEV.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 07:34
4fc wrote:
[...]And we have to thank tesla for pushing evs mainstream.[...]

I'm always amazed when I read these kind of quotes... makes me wonder if some US folks live in a parallel reality...

How could one consider Tesla cars "mainstream". I mean, I would actually agree on saying that "Tesla has pushed EV's on the luxury market", but "mainstream"?

Some other manufacturers such as Nissan (who has sold over 300k Leafs), or even GM with their Bolt, have actually "pushed EVs mainstream", though their CEO's don't smoke enough weed publicly to get the credit they should deserve for it.

PS: I still don't think pure EV's belong into the "mainstream" of cars (though would gladly own a small-cheap one for going around town if offered).

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2018 08:24
4fc wrote:
Tony, I think stickers are good for at least 3 years. And we have to thank tesla for pushing evs mainstream.
I got a colleague at work with tesla S 75 and he says that it takes $11 to go 250 miles and he just plugs it overnight in regular 120V outlet, which is quarter of the rate I pay for gas for the same distance. If I get EV I don't plan to go level 2 charger at home. 4 miles per hour is plenty if I plug it every night with my commute. I used to own 2003 HCH and 1G fit(before the kids) but I'm ready for EV and don't want to have a hybrid even if it's PHEV.

I've never heard of a Tesla owner not having at least a 240v charger in their house.. A 120v would take 62hrs to charge that Tesla from an empty battery.. I have a Honda Clarity PHEV and it's dreadful using a 120v.. takes 13hrs to fully charge an empty battery..

Most electric companies offers really cheap electricity from 12-6am, it would be in the best interest of an EV owner to install a 240v charger so get the reduced rate.. here in San Diego, the rate for that 6 hours is 17 cent a kW... Still quite expensive compared to other places... It normally costs me $2.25 to fully charge the battery.. good thing charging at work is free.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 13:42
Twiz wrote:
4fc wrote:

I've never heard of a Tesla owner not having at least a 240v charger in their house.. A 120v would take 62hrs to charge that Tesla from an empty battery.. I have a Honda Clarity PHEV and it's dreadful using a 120v.. takes 13hrs to fully charge an empty battery..

Most electric companies offers really cheap electricity from 12-6am, it would be in the best interest of an EV owner to install a 240v charger so get the reduced rate.. here in San Diego, the rate for that 6 hours is 17 cent a kW... Still quite expensive compared to other places... It normally costs me $2.25 to fully charge the battery.. good thing charging at work is free.

With your SD rates, a 100 KwH battery will run about $17 to charge from empty. In a Tesla S I believe that's about 270 miles.

Charging it from a 120VAC circuit with a 20A circuit breaker (that means you put in the heavy duty, 30A Romex. That would be a custom installation as home builders are cheap and they stick you with the cheap 15A lines.

For a 100KwH battery.

Anyhow, at 120VAC-20A, that means 2.4KwH rate of charge. That would take 42 hours to fully charge -assuming 100% efficiency.

At 240VAC - 40A, that comes to about 11 hours. If you can draw 50A, then it drops to just over 8 hours.

These are the perfect numbers, with AC you got to adjust so it will still take longer.

That's why the people I know with Teslas all have large solar panels and use the EV time tiered program so they can sell Kw's during the day at high rates and then draw huge amounts of power at night for low rates.

A smaller 25KwH battery would naturally take a lot less juice and time. You could conceivably fully charge it at night off a 120VAC circuit.

+++

The stickers are changing.

All white stickers will become obsolete on January 1st 2018.

Only the red stickers will be good.

Stickers are good for three years from then. Since we got our car in 2017, we got the white stickers so we need to apply for the red ones. But, typically for the Calimexistan DMV they still have not released how we can do that. All they wrote is that on 1/1/18 we'll be able to apply... which means there will be sticker gap?

Fools.

Oh, I think the BEVs won't get the red stickers anymore. As I wrote elsewhere, there's too many BEVs on the freeways nowadays. I think only PHEVs and FCEVs get the free pass.

I got the feeling that FCEVs will be extended beyond those three years, unless Toyota does it again and floods the car pool lanes with those crappy Mirai.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 14:19
GoFaster wrote:

About a week ago I received notice from the California DMV that my RED HOV stickers are good until Jan. 1, 2022 for my Clarity PHEV.

The current white ones ALL expire on Jan 1 2018.

I'm waiting to hear from the DMV about how I can apply for the Red Stickers (good to '22) for our '17 Clarity FCEV.

I'm very sure the BEVs won't get red stickers.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 14:38
danielgr wrote:
4fc wrote:
[...]And we have to thank tesla for pushing evs mainstream.[...]

I'm always amazed when I read these kind of quotes... makes me wonder if some US folks live in a parallel reality...

How could one consider Tesla cars "mainstream". I mean, I would actually agree on saying that "Tesla has pushed EV's on the luxury market", but "mainstream"?

Some other manufacturers such as Nissan (who has sold over 300k Leafs), or even GM with their Bolt, have actually "pushed EVs mainstream", though their CEO's don't smoke enough weed publicly to get the credit they should deserve for it.

PS: I still don't think pure EV's belong into the "mainstream" of cars (though would gladly own a small-cheap one for going around town if offered).

Tesla has done a masterful job on intricating itself into the luxury mainstream. This is mostly because the Luxo brands do not have a BEV and Tesla's design is very Jet Jetson in a market that can afford such features.

Indeed, even Tesla's "cheap" car, the 3, will not be as cheap as originally advertised. If you want a steering wheel you'll be paying $65K... in this method, Tesla too the German Pricing Schema and turbocharged it.

At the low end of the scale, BEVs are simply too expensive to buy and run. People looking for a cheap car can get a cheap Nissan with a dinky ICE motor, an AT, AC and Bluetooth for their smart phone for way less than $20K. You just can't do that for a BEV.

To top it off, people looking for cheap cars usually live in rental units with no means of installing 240VAC plug in ports. And gas is pretty cheap.

So, BEVs in the US really are a luxury want thing.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2018 14:47
4fc wrote:
Well, I understand that Clarity BEV is limited production hence the lease only option. What I don't understand is why they advertise it on the honda usa web site when they don't have it available and I was told by 2 different dealers that it's not available in the 2 states they only have that program. I understand that I'm late to the party but I didn't get on the waiting list back in april, when they have the beast deal on it since I dind't need the car back then, assuming the deal will be still going when I need it at the end of august. I understand that it's in part my fault but as I said I got on all the 3 waiting lists and supposedly they'll call me if they get some in and if it's my turn on the list. I have very little hope for this to happen and unfortunately I might look elsewhere given the time constrain.
I don't like doing leases but given the pace of the battery development I was willing to do that.

I was ready to test drive the PHEV just to check it out and my assumption was that it'll be close to the BEV plus the added weight of the ICE, but dealer wasn't eager to let me drive it and I wasn't pushy enough.

Nissan Leaf has similar deal and their lot is full of leaves(sp) but I kind of didn't like theit implementation if epedal. Guess I can go driving without it. It wasn't adding more regenerative breaking but it was somehow making the acceleration restricted as well. On to of that it was way to agressive - not natural. Assuming it has radar it could use that to slow down the car and stop just when it reaches the car in front. Instead on an empty street it acted as if there was a car in front as soon as I got of the "gas" pedal.

The PHEV pretty much drives like the BEV and FCEV. The main difference is that the PHEV and BEV have paddle shifters, the FCEV does not.

OK... the PHEV and BEV felt more powerful than the FCEV to us, but not something that would make a huge difference.

And the interior of the FCEV is the nicest with the HUD, ionizing air cleaner, etc... I believe they all have NAVI and all the doodahs. My wife likes using ACC in her commute.

I like the cream colored leather... avoid the grey interior, IMHO it looks cheap. The Black is very good too.

The dealer should have let you test drive the PHEV. Find another dealer.

4fc
Profile for 4fc
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-15-2018 03:00
Ok. I stand corrected. It's 240V dryer plug, but no need for additional hardware. The on board charger can handle that and you just plug it in the dryer socket. 120V vs 240V -> 4 mph vs 22-25 mph. No phun intended mph is not speed it's miles per hour of charge:)
https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/SMUD_Charge-Times-Chart-20171208_Final_Low-Res.pdf

Have to figure out if I need to add new breaker right under the breaker box or use something like dryer buddy and split the existing plug.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity BEV    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-16-2018 18:29
4fc wrote:
Ok. I stand corrected. It's 240V dryer plug, but no need for additional hardware. The on board charger can handle that and you just plug it in the dryer socket. 120V vs 240V -> 4 mph vs 22-25 mph. No phun intended mph is not speed it's miles per hour of charge:)
https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/SMUD_Charge-Times-Chart-20171208_Final_Low-Res.pdf

Have to figure out if I need to add new breaker right under the breaker box or use something like dryer buddy and split the existing plug.

Aren't you in San Diego? If so, your dryer runs on natural gas, huh?

I pulled out my 240vac plug a long time ago, I wished I hadn't now, oh well, but I have three spare 120VAC and one 240VAC romex circuits in reserve in the attic so I can route them anywhere if I so wish in the future (I strongly advice spending that money when you remodel).

In any event, I would never charge a BEV and run an electric clothes dryer on the same circuit simultaneously.

Breaker wise, that 240 plug should have its own breaker. Those dryer circuits are "homeruns".. meaning one line, one breaker and one plug. You can figure out what the current is by looking at the breaker. Multiply the current rating of the breaker x 240vac and that will give you the AC wattage of the line. If it shows 30A, then that would be 7.2Kw draw at 100% of load.

I believe that home level 2 chargers run 240vac./30A... but that's also the limit of the breaker.. I'd be afraid of two things:

(1) As the charge progresses, everything warms up and the current might tick above 30A, hence tripping the breaker.
(2) I would worry about an old circuit that hasn't been run for a while. For sure I would change the breaker and plug. I would also make sure the Romex can handle at least 45A... and that it was in good shape.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0