[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: Vivid Racing Tune the NSX MkII
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Type-S caught testing
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: Additional Impressions
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: B16 Heads
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Need Help
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Amateur Racing & Driving > > Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-15-2018 11:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-15-2018 21:25

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-15-2018 22:57

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-17-2018 00:39
Quickest lap, 1:49.94

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-18-2018 13:24
Re checked the oil level today (about 350 miles after the track event) and the level is right under the full dot, still touching the full line. Before the track event I had it slightly over filled, just a little over the full dot/ line.

So for all that hard driving (a whole 109.2 miles of redlining and WOT) the oil consumption was pretty minor, and the oil color is still almost a golden clear, just a tad darker.

Pretty good for a Honda with some miles on it. I'm averaging 24mpg combined with mostly around town driving as well.

My consistent lap times not only proved the car performed consistently but also my driving was consistent. I'm most satisfied with those two results.

I'm looking at maybe two more events before I swap wheels and tires for winter but I'm not too sure. I'd like to start on the Vigor engine replacement. So saving fornthe labor, setting up appointments, taking off of work tonget it all done. Etc etc.

The events are Atlanta Motor Park Nov 1st and then Touge fest down the Tail of the Dragon Nov 2nd - 4th.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-18-2018 13:31
Hondatalover wrote:
Re checked the oil level today (about 350 miles after the track event) and the level is right under the full dot, still touching the full line. Before the track event I had it slightly over filled, just a little over the full dot/ line.

So for all that hard driving (a whole 109.2 miles of redlining and WOT) the oil consumption was pretty minor, and the oil color is still almost a golden clear, just a tad darker.

Pretty good for a Honda with some miles on it. I'm averaging 24mpg combined with mostly around town driving as well.

My consistent lap times not only proved the car performed consistently but also my driving was consistent. I'm most satisfied with those two results.

I'm looking at maybe two more events before I swap wheels and tires for winter but I'm not too sure. I'd like to start on the Vigor engine replacement. So saving fornthe labor, setting up appointments, taking off of work tonget it all done. Etc etc.

The events are Atlanta Motor Park Nov 1st and then Touge fest down the Tail of the Dragon Nov 2nd - 4th.

Wait, which event is at AMP?

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-18-2018 13:59
JeffX wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

Wait, which event is at AMP?

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/jzilla-pretouge-presented-by-atlanta-speed-company-motorsports-park-trackdays-903622

What did you think about my overall results, Jeff?

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 07:00
Hondatalover wrote:

Good deal. It looks liked you had a great time too.

My co-worker who tracks his Mustang once suggested I take my Accord and I responded with my best Lamont Sanford "are you crazy?!" I think I'd do a real springs and dampers swap because of how sloppy the car feels. And then stick with the novice group.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 00:02
Continental Extreme Contact Sports. Grip for ages. Don't over heat. Warm up kind of slow. Very comfortable tire as a daily. Decent amount of feed back. Had the tires put on around 149,xxx, something closer to around 150K. Car now has 152,1something miles. Tires with about 2,000 miles. Most of that with aggressive daily driving and some track use.

Front tires are down to the wear bars!

Read tires are fine.

People told me (now after of course) that these are a softer tire and scrub easily. I would benefit from some negative front camber to help keep the tire from rolling and the wheel gaining positive camber in the corners.

Pic and video of the car on the Tail of The Dragon on U.S HWY 129 last week at Tougefest. An extremely fun event. First time ever being up there and my first run up it to the damn/ scenic look out was midnight saturday. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. But after a few more passes that night I rewarded myself with glowing and popping rotors! Really cool to see. my friend in the 1LE was follwing me and said he could see them glowing when I would exit and corner ahead of him. Never had any brake fade the entire time and ABS functioned properly.

Sunday evening after I've had many passes heading down from the over look.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 00:55
It looks like guard rails are optional on Tail of the Dragon.

"In the last 11 years there have been a total
29 deaths on the 11 mile section of roadway known as "The Dragon". 28 of these deaths were on motorcycles"
http://www.dragonawareness.com/

Last edited by JeffX on 11-09-2018 01:11
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 01:33
superchg2 wrote:

29 deaths on the 11 mile section of roadway known as "The Dragon". 28 of these deaths were on motorcycles"

The Dragon is pretty easily accessible within a day's drive of a LARGE portion of the US population, and on any given day you can go there and see virtually zero traffic, or a MASSIVE amount of cars/bikes. If you happen to get there on one of the days where there's very light traffic, you won't find a better road in the country. It's insane.

So, lots of people go there and have to experience it. It's worth the trip. Unfortunately, out of the population of people who make that trip, you're going to have a good number of folks who push things too far, because it just begs for it. And particularly on a bike, this could lead to SERIOUS injuries. I have been there when the helicopters have flown in to rescue somebody who's gone off. It's a terrible thing to witness.

In all of the cars that I've taken there, I've actually never experienced any "moments" that have left me sweating and thinking about what could have happened. There are other far less travelled roads where I have had my share of "moments". The way it's configured, you'd have to be pretty dim to get into so much trouble that you can't get your way out of it in an average car. But even below average bikes have way more acceleration than an average car, and gaining speed on one of these bikes is easy and thrilling. But transitioning a bike at speed takes a lot more skill than standing on the brakes and simply whipping the steering wheel around and letting VSA sort the rest.

Anyhow, this is an extremely long-winded way for me to opine that the Dragon isn't inherently unsafe for cars, but if you're on a bike, you better be sure to fully calibrate yourself before you try to tame it, because the sudden camber changes and quick transitions can catch you out in a real hurry (and launch you into the trees if you can't figure out how to scrub that speed).

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 01:35
superchg2 wrote:

Make it 30/29

https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/news/local/motorcyclist-dies-in-crash-on-the-dragon/275-602772963

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 07:36
JeffX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

The Dragon is pretty easily accessible within a day's drive of a LARGE portion of the US population, and on any given day you can go there and see virtually zero traffic, or a MASSIVE amount of cars/bikes. If you happen to get there on one of the days where there's very light traffic, you won't find a better road in the country. It's insane.

So, lots of people go there and have to experience it. It's worth the trip. Unfortunately, out of the population of people who make that trip, you're going to have a good number of folks who push things too far, because it just begs for it. And particularly on a bike, this could lead to SERIOUS injuries. I have been there when the helicopters have flown in to rescue somebody who's gone off. It's a terrible thing to witness.

In all of the cars that I've taken there, I've actually never experienced any "moments" that have left me sweating and thinking about what could have happened. There are other far less travelled roads where I have had my share of "moments". The way it's configured, you'd have to be pretty dim to get into so much trouble that you can't get your way out of it in an average car. But even below average bikes have way more acceleration than an average car, and gaining speed on one of these bikes is easy and thrilling. But transitioning a bike at speed takes a lot more skill than standing on the brakes and simply whipping the steering wheel around and letting VSA sort the rest.

Anyhow, this is an extremely long-winded way for me to opine that the Dragon isn't inherently unsafe for cars, but if you're on a bike, you better be sure to fully calibrate yourself before you try to tame it, because the sudden camber changes and quick transitions can catch you out in a real hurry (and launch you into the trees if you can't figure out how to scrub that speed).

We drove the route on a weekday while on vacation but we still got caught in traffic before Deals Gap with the last mile or so at maybe 25mph. When we started the drive, we had a sport bike guy come flying up behind us just after getting into the curves so I popped over to a pull-out to let him by. I'd seen the videos of the bikers passing in the curves.

The surprising part may be the mix of bikers who crash on the road with many being Harley riders. It seems so easy to drag a foot peg or exhaust in the curves.

My advice is a Google search for car club trips to the area and then avoid those days on the calendar if you can. I guess there was a Mini Cooper club trip to the area when we were there but our timing was good for the day.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 09:25
Grace141 wrote:
JeffX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

We drove the route on a weekday while on vacation but we still got caught in traffic before Deals Gap with the last mile or so at maybe 25mph. When we started the drive, we had a sport bike guy come flying up behind us just after getting into the curves so I popped over to a pull-out to let him by. I'd seen the videos of the bikers passing in the curves.

The surprising part may be the mix of bikers who crash on the road with many being Harley riders. It seems so easy to drag a foot peg or exhaust in the curves.

My advice is a Google search for car club trips to the area and then avoid those days on the calendar if you can. I guess there was a Mini Cooper club trip to the area when we were there but our timing was good for the day.

a lot of the Harley riders I see there are there for the cruise and go really slowly. A lot of them still manage to peg-jack their bikes on some of the super tight turns.

It's like they're sight seeing but there's not much to see through much of the dragon besides a sinewy ribbon of asphalt and a lot of trees. There are a few gaps where you can catch a view, but if you're looking for a really scenic ride the Cherohola skyway is where you want to be.

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0