[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: Vivid Racing Tune the NSX MkII
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Type-S caught testing
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: Additional Impressions
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: B16 Heads
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Need Help
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Ridgeline - General Talk > > Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 18:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Impossible Dream wrote:
DCR wrote:
One of the guys on my team showed up last night with his new Cavalry Blue Tacome TRD Pro truck, complete with a 6 speed manual. This is what I would get for sure if I were in the market.

Just looked up what this looks like as I've never seen that colour before... Looks awesome! Way better than the Ridgeline in terms of "truckness". Honda... You have excellent fundamentals, the Ridgeline is an awesome truck, but why did you make it look like watered down Pilot?

vs.

Jesus Christ... that Toyota looks like a Tonka Toy. It's FUGLY!

Not everybody like the truck meets the Monster Tonka Godzilla in Ginza look.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 18:33
Is the Ridgeline good enough to be an Acura "Smart" Truck? Since the styling is more luxury than rugged.
JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 18:35
I prefer the TRD Pro's in tan, even if the shocks blow out on washboard roads.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 15:49
JimmyEats wrote:
Is the Ridgeline good enough to be an Acura "Smart" Truck? Since the styling is more luxury than rugged.

It's a nice truck.

From not too far away it has the looks of the smaller Dodge and Chevy trucks. I often confuses the Dodge and Ridgeline from the rear when in black.

Honestly, I can not stand those fugly huge chrome grilles they're puting in those full side pick up trucks.

Cyisalwayshungry
Profile for Cyisalwayshungry
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 17:45
Really it has to be how itís driven. With Bilsteins (found on the Taco) one has to drive faster so that the shock isnít cycling as much. Iíd rather have Tacoma over Ridgeline any day. At least with the Tacoma the aftermarket is plentiful for shocks. Canít say the same for Ridgeline
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 14:49
Cyisalwayshungry wrote:
Really it has to be how itís driven. With Bilsteins (found on the Taco) one has to drive faster so that the shock isnít cycling as much. Iíd rather have Tacoma over Ridgeline any day. At least with the Tacoma the aftermarket is plentiful for shocks. Canít say the same for Ridgeline

It really depends how you are going to use them.

This morning I followed a TioTaco on the tight loop road at my work's campus. He was taking this right angle turn, right in front of me, and keeling over like crazy.. while I was actually driving flat and held up because I can take that turn a good 10 mph faster with no drama.

All along I was in Eco mode, so that ought to be a hint that I was driving very mellow while the kid in the Tacoma was really pushing his truck.

I figure that as an on the road vehicle the Ridgeline is the far superior vehicle. For carrying stuff, it looks like the Ridgeline is a little bit bigger and for carrying people, the Ridgeline cabin is larger.

If you need to carry very heavy stuff, then you would not go with a Tacoma but go with a bigger truck.

If you need a middle weight truck, are not going to be engaged in Daktari trips, and want something that can carry people and stuff and yet keep the cabin clean, the Ridgeline is likely best.

I suppose the only real good use (other than the 'looks') for the Tacoma is as a technical in the Middle East.

Otherwise it's all the LOOKS.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-17-2018 06:33
The Taco is the better off road vehicle. It also looks more macho. I was planning on buying one at some point until I rode in one for over an hour. If your primary need is off road adventuring, then it's the better truck.

It's pretty tough to beat the V6 J series with SH-AWD. I shouldn't want to push a truck hard through a roundabout, but I do!

Using Eco mode Tony???

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2018 03:39
Dren wrote:
The Taco is the better off road vehicle. It also looks more macho. I was planning on buying one at some point until I rode in one for over an hour. If your primary need is off road adventuring, then it's the better truck.

It's pretty tough to beat the V6 J series with SH-AWD. I shouldn't want to push a truck hard through a roundabout, but I do!

Using Eco mode Tony???

What makes it definitively better offroad?

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2018 06:39
JeffX wrote:
Dren wrote:

Using Eco mode Tony???

Solely basing it on ground clearance and on-frame design. The AWD system in the Ridgeline is arguably better (it's excellent in my opinion) on most surfaces until you get into major potholes and serious undulations. There's videos on youtube with comparisons. I wouldn't take mine on anything worse than dirt roads and small creek bed crossings.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2018 06:44
Dren wrote:
JeffX wrote:
Dren wrote:

Using Eco mode Tony???

Solely basing it on ground clearance and on-frame design. The AWD system in the Ridgeline is arguably better (it's excellent in my opinion) on most surfaces until you get into major potholes and serious undulations. There's videos on youtube with comparisons. I wouldn't take mine on anything worse than dirt roads and small creek bed crossings.

Basically the summary of the article the OP posted. I just went back and reread it.

"This result does not make the Ridgeline a better off-road vehicle. A capable off-roader in the traditional sense still needs abundant ground clearance, steep approach and departure angles, a decent amount of suspension travel, low-range gearing, a full-size spare tire, and maybe a lockable differential or two. The Ridgeline has none of these things. A washout could have easily stopped the Ridgeline in its tracks."

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2018 01:48
Dren wrote:

Using Eco mode Tony???

Yes, I normally use Eco mode around town, no need to go fast. I'm used to its slower throttle response.

When I turn off Eco mode, then I the truck really picks up speed! That baby has power for sure.

The rear torque steering sure is fun in tight turns and long turns. ;-)

DrS2k
Profile for DrS2k
Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2018 13:13
JeffX wrote:
Dren wrote:
That does look pretty sharp. It isn't as boxy as a typical truck, but that doesn't bother me. I think it looks a lot better than the funky G1. As far as trucks go, I think the new Rams look pretty sharp.

I drove a new 2019 RAM 1500 a little over a month ago. That really is a nice truck. I think FCA has done a great job with the infotainment systems and the interior work in general. And for a big ass body on frame truck, the drive was pretty nice. It was cool to see it had USB-C type charge ports standard too.

Drove one too as I am in the market now. The challenge with the RAM is the reliabiity concerns. And one has to get the v6 for decent MPG. Of course, no dealer stocks what you want. This means a 12 week wait for an order. They offer MaxDare warranty for unlimited miles so long as you remain the owner. Wish Honda offered that.

I am going to go check out the RTL-E today and see for myself if I can fit my big 6'3" carcass comfortably in there.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0