[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: More "ACURA" than "ACURA?"
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2019 Type R in Canada
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Consumer Reports Strikes Again - Tesla Model 3 No Longer Recommended
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CA proposing local autobahn instead of rail
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: Crank, no start, but runs great with push start. Please read
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX not recommended by Consumer Reports
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: JB4 Tuning Box from ScienceofSpeed for 2017+ NSX
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports December Sales > > Re: CRV is the compact SUV King!

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Cannondale18
Profile for Cannondale18
CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 14:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wow, the CRV is killing it still! No surprise there.
TL_06
Profile for TL_06
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 14:26
There may be a lot of fleet sales in there but RAV4 outsold CR-V by nearly 50K units.
Cannondale18
Profile for Cannondale18
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 14:35
That's one reason I hate Toyota. If Honda ever offered their vehicles as rentals, I would disown the brand.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 15:43
Cannondale18 wrote:
That's one reason I hate Toyota. If Honda ever offered their vehicles as rentals, I would disown the brand.

...and buy what?

40mpg
Profile for 40mpg
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 16:41
DCR wrote:
Cannondale18 wrote:

...and buy what?

If I see a lot of Honda rentals, I would never be a Honda enthusiast, and hence not a fan of Honda. We are probably not going to be here either if Honda decided to do so.
To make a selling rental car, the car will be just cheap without much fun for us enthusiasts.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 17:00
That is sound logic.
HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 17:12
DCR wrote:
Cannondale18 wrote:

...and buy what?

...and buy Acura?

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 18:21
Can't do that, still a brand of Honda.
Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 18:50
DCR wrote:
That is sound logic.

The only logical reason you don't want your brand to be in rental fleet is impact on resale value.

And if RAV4 are sold to fleets and resale is no worse than CR-V, then isn't RAV4 is a better car?

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 19:01
Cannondale18 wrote:

I am constantly amazed at how people keep buying RAV4s and Rogues. They wouldn’t know “better” if it was thrown in their face. I’m reminded of that recent Honda commercial where everybody is driving beige boxes while the Honda whizzes around them.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 19:38
I think the CR-V is the only one of those that comes in beige at the moment. I would be more amazed if people didn't have different tastes in automobiles.
Profiler
Profile for Profiler
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 01:18
A friend took her niece to buy a new CRV around the 20th, and drove home with a new CRV EX-L too
Two sales!
In Maui

Cannondale18
Profile for Cannondale18
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 08:41
Not sure. I bought my wife a Subaru in July because she likes small cars and still have AWD. She loves it. It is loaded with everything Subaru makes.

For me, I would never buy an American car, that is for sure!

trexdoc
Profile for trexdoc
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 09:33
IMO, the current gen of CR-V is great with the glaring exception of its 1.5L DI/Turbo; (significant?) concerns for oil dilution (and poor cabin heat) - I wouldn't touch this engine until this design flaw is "fixed"/resolved

on paper, the new RAV-4 blows away the CR-V (IMO); I haven't test driven the '19 RAV-4, but multiple test drives by the automotive press are disappointing; it's amazing that the Honda CR-V excels against the new Toyota RAV-4 in NVH (esp with a 3 year old design)

the updated, '19 hybrid RAV-4 is compelling but I need to test drive; awaiting for the 2020 hybrid CR-V - will it have a stellar reputation for reliability/durability like Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive?

where can I get a smallish SUV with a (timing-chain based) V-6 that doesn't blow your ears away with awful NVH AND is (somewhat) enjoyable to drive? the 3rd gen RAV-4's with the V-6 are amazing vehicles with awful highway NVH...I do like the prior gen RX350's but, my goodness, they are boring...

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 09:35
it would be interesting to see the sales without fleet. Small SUVs are not my preference but I have driven the CR-V, Rogue and RAV4 and the CR-V wins by a landslide. The RAV4 is a distant 2nd and I for the life of me can't understand why someone would buy a Rogue (maybe it is a low transaction price that drives sales.) As someone above said I guess it would be someone who wouldn't know good if it slapped them in the face.
Cannondale18
Profile for Cannondale18
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 10:11
RAV4 is the same old disappointing SUV with the same old slow 4 Cyl. I don't know why they're so popular. Then again, the loyal Toyota buyer is someone who knows nothing about cars and just want something to go from point A to B.

Once the CRV Hybrid hits for 2020 and also the refresh, the CRV will continue to dominate sales in the compact segment and probably win another MT SUV of the year.

I had a 2015 and now a 2017 and love them both. I will be getting a Passport though as soon as they are released.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 10:54
trexdoc wrote:
IMO, the current gen of CR-V is great with the glaring exception of its 1.5L DI/Turbo; (significant?) concerns for oil dilution (and poor cabin heat) - I wouldn't touch this engine until this design flaw is "fixed"/resolved

on paper, the new RAV-4 blows away the CR-V (IMO); I haven't test driven the '19 RAV-4, but multiple test drives by the automotive press are disappointing; it's amazing that the Honda CR-V excels against the new Toyota RAV-4 in NVH (esp with a 3 year old design)

the updated, '19 hybrid RAV-4 is compelling but I need to test drive; awaiting for the 2020 hybrid CR-V - will it have a stellar reputation for reliability/durability like Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive?

where can I get a smallish SUV with a (timing-chain based) V-6 that doesn't blow your ears away with awful NVH AND is (somewhat) enjoyable to drive? the 3rd gen RAV-4's with the V-6 are amazing vehicles with awful highway NVH...I do like the prior gen RX350's but, my goodness, they are boring...

Not to mention the new RAV4 is hideous, IMO. Toyota's attempt at "masculine-ing" the exterior of the RAV went way wrong. The interior isn't much better with that HUGE, square screen in the middle of the dash. I'm not necessarily opposed to those screens, most are doing it, but the Toyota's is a gigantic square with little design finesse.

After driving a bunch of smallish SUV's in the last month to replace our aging MDX, I'd probably put a CPO 2018 or older RDX towards the top if looking for "premium value". Priced right around the new loaded CRV, RAV, Rogue, etc. even in Advance trim on the RDX. Gets you a V6 and decent NVH comparatively speaking.

None
Profile for None
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 11:35
99SI wrote:
it would be interesting to see the sales without fleet. Small SUVs are not my preference but I have driven the CR-V, Rogue and RAV4 and the CR-V wins by a landslide. The RAV4 is a distant 2nd and I for the life of me can't understand why someone would buy a Rogue (maybe it is a low transaction price that drives sales.) As someone above said I guess it would be someone who wouldn't know good if it slapped them in the face.

Nissan fleet sales are HUGE, and in 2019 with GM dropping sedans, I predict Nissan will grab even more fleet sales.

I can't think of a single Nissan I'd buy.

Brutus
Profile for Brutus
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 11:39
No surprise, the CRV is really a home run. I was this close to buying one, but needed the 3rd row. It feels and looks so much better then the Pilot IMO.

There are no glaring issues with the vehicle whatsoever. Nitpicks would be more comfortable seats, maybe a pano roof option, maybe a sport package with a tweak to the engine/tranny/look detailing.

I think of it as the new American Accord for families. Back in the 90->s the Accord I think was the go to do everything family vehicle, now it is the CRV.

It does everything well, looks good, runs well, packaged in a way to cover most bases, and is a good value all around it is hard to justify looking elsewhere.

I think if you are looking at an Accord or high content Civic I would be hard pressed to not just buy CRV instead, especially for those of us who live in northern climates.

B.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 12:04
None wrote:
99SI wrote:

Nissan fleet sales are HUGE, and in 2019 with GM dropping sedans, I predict Nissan will grab even more fleet sales.

I can't think of a single Nissan I'd buy.

Me either... Maybe a GTR or 370Z

Cannondale18
Profile for Cannondale18
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2019 12:06
and the new RAV4 adventure has Subaru Crosstrek wheels. I know they are comingled companies but come on!
Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-21-2019 17:00
Cannondale18 wrote:
RAV4 is the same old disappointing SUV with the same old slow 4 Cyl. I don't know why they're so popular. Then again, the loyal Toyota buyer is someone who knows nothing about cars and just want something to go from point A to B.

Once the CRV Hybrid hits for 2020 and also the refresh, the CRV will continue to dominate sales in the compact segment and probably win another MT SUV of the year.

I had a 2015 and now a 2017 and love them both. I will be getting a Passport though as soon as they are released.

The 2019 Rav got the new 4cyl and TNGA. It’s quicker vs the CRV 1.5t and the Rav Hybrid is even faster. The CRV however is still superior dynamically but they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2019 13:22
Honestly, I don't understand the fuss between the RAV4 and CR-V "rivalry". This is probably the most vanilla of car battles I've ever seen, and to most people does it matter? They're both the modern day equivalent of the 1998 Gold Toyota Camry.

95% of the people shopping in this space is not going to care about driving dynamics, or how much power the engine creates at WOT.

Beyond the features that people in this segment do care about (infotainment, safety, fuel economy, resale), the only thing that is going to matter is whether they can cut a deal with the dealership; I don't think most buyers care whether they go home with a CRV or a RAV4.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: CRV is the compact SUV King! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2019 18:28
CarPhreakD wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand the fuss between the RAV4 and CR-V "rivalry". This is probably the most vanilla of car battles I've ever seen, and to most people does it matter? They're both the modern day equivalent of the 1998 Gold Toyota Camry.

95% of the people shopping in this space is not going to care about driving dynamics, or how much power the engine creates at WOT.

Beyond the features that people in this segment do care about (infotainment, safety, fuel economy, resale), the only thing that is going to matter is whether they can cut a deal with the dealership; I don't think most buyers care whether they go home with a CRV or a RAV4.

One of my coworkers has a '14 RAV4. He says it's a demonstration of how cheap Toyota got. Wants to get rid of it.

The CRV doesn't feel cheap.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0