[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: More "ACURA" than "ACURA?"
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2019 Type R in Canada
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Consumer Reports Strikes Again - Tesla Model 3 No Longer Recommended
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CA proposing local autobahn instead of rail
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: Crank, no start, but runs great with push start. Please read
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX not recommended by Consumer Reports
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: JB4 Tuning Box from ScienceofSpeed for 2017+ NSX
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Photoshops > > Re: 2022 TLX FR plank

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 13:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
rev2damoon wrote:
I hear what you are saying with regard to the majority of shoppers wanting nice design and a comfortable drive, etc. However, if I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times. Acura needs proper 'aspirational models'. When we talk about aspirational models we're talking about those upper trim models that showcase the brand to its highest potential. These are the models that offer no compromises whatsoever. Be it styling-wise or performance-wise.

I've been making this same point about the ILX. If the only next-gen ILX is a FWD 1.5T model then Acura has failed wholly because that isn't aspirational in ANY WAY.

I also think that Volvo is showing that aspiration can be FWD driven as long as the engineering and design live hand in hand and make each other better. The current ILX, TLX, RLX and MDX...they were and are basically just re-skins of Honda models and that doesn't cut it. The engineering wasn't rooted in the design and the design wasn't rooted in the engineering. The RDX brought some of that back - things like the work they did to integrate the Pano roof and keep body stiffness up, making room for the bigger/more powerful SHAWD unit, putting True Touch in place - all that engineering work depends upon the design and vice versa.

But it's also possible to believe that Acura can find ways to be successful without RWD while also saying that if Acura really wants to go up against models like the C43 AMG they will be hopeless without RWD. Acura, at their best, has found ways to compete against the Germans in the past - but the performance envelope has grown significantly and there just doesn't seem to be any way for Acura to have a transverse FF platform go up against the higher end models being offered.

I guess we'll see. I think the RDX shows that Acura is going to find ways to elevate their design and engineering - and we KNOW that that platform underneath is going under other models. The MDX and TLX seem like pretty damned obvious candidates...I guess we'll see what happens.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2018 04:17
I've been saying it for over ten years, Honda CAN compete dynamically with zee Germans, all they have to do is build a genuine Sports Sedan, just like the CTR is a genuine and indeed the best "Hot Hatch". SH-AWD set up properly, in the right chassis will excel. Shit the non-USA Legend was within a bee's dick of being able to out-handle real sports sedan, all it needed was an up to date transmission and an extra dollop of power and torque. That was 12 years ago..........
None
Profile for None
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2018 12:26
sadlerau wrote:
I've been saying it for over ten years, Honda CAN compete dynamically with zee Germans, all they have to do is build a genuine Sports Sedan, just like the CTR is a genuine and indeed the best "Hot Hatch". SH-AWD set up properly, in the right chassis will excel. Shit the non-USA Legend was within a bee's dick of being able to out-handle real sports sedan, all it needed was an up to date transmission and an extra dollop of power and torque. That was 12 years ago..........

Agree, Acura can use their current SH-AWD, but build competitors to the Audi RS3 RS4...

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 09:08
Fitdad wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:
I hear what you are saying with regard to the majority of shoppers wanting nice design and a comfortable drive, etc. However, if I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times. Acura needs proper 'aspirational models'. When we talk about aspirational models we're talking about those upper trim models that showcase the brand to its highest potential. These are the models that offer no compromises whatsoever. Be it styling-wise or performance-wise.

I've been making this same point about the ILX. If the only next-gen ILX is a FWD 1.5T model then Acura has failed wholly because that isn't aspirational in ANY WAY.

I also think that Volvo is showing that aspiration can be FWD driven as long as the engineering and design live hand in hand and make each other better. The current ILX, TLX, RLX and MDX...they were and are basically just re-skins of Honda models and that doesn't cut it. The engineering wasn't rooted in the design and the design wasn't rooted in the engineering.
The RDX brought some of that back - things like the work they did to integrate the Pano roof and keep body stiffness up, making room for the bigger/more powerful SHAWD unit, putting True Touch in place - all that engineering work depends upon the design and vice versa.

But it's also possible to believe that Acura can find ways to be successful without RWD while also saying that if Acura really wants to go up against models like the C43 AMG they will be hopeless without RWD. Acura, at their best, has found ways to compete against the Germans in the past - but the performance envelope has grown significantly and there just doesn't seem to be any way for Acura to have a transverse FF platform go up against the higher end models being offered.

I guess we'll see. I think the RDX shows that Acura is going to find ways to elevate their design and engineering - and we KNOW that that platform underneath is going under other models. The MDX and TLX seem like pretty damned obvious candidates...I guess we'll see what happens.

These are very valid points and I agree. Also, regarding the ILX, I remember when it debuted how Acura was touting it as the answer to the Lexus IS. I couldn't and still don't understand how they could even consider pushing that angle. It really shows just how lost Acura was at that point. I never agreed with the decision to cut the TSX either.

In the early days of the ILX, I visited an Acura dealership and saw one on the lot with a price approaching 40k on the sticker. Look where we are today. Its certainly been interesting watching Acura evolve over the past decade+. Needless to say they've had some failures with the sedans which I can't really say that I didn't see coming.

They are really pushing the ILX as the basic, introductory gateway to the brand now while dropping the price. That's all well and good, but they need to tread carefully with newcomers to the brand. First impressions are very important. If these folks somehow decide to stick with the brand, are there compelling models for them to aspire to beyond the basic introductory ILX? A-spec is nice and all, but a Type S line of models is badly needed, and these models cannot compromise and be conservative. Every single component on these models should be pushed to the limit, right down to the wheels. Seriously, put the widest set of wheels you can find on these things...lol

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2018 20:10
Design or styling will always be the other half of the equation.. The 2004 Acura TL hit that Goldilock's Just Right spot.

For some time I have been eyeing at Mazda. They're hitting the peak of their design language; their latest concepts are gorgeous: they're going after minimalism-yet-cohesive look. It's working. Their current CX5 and CX3 are really good-looking and I am eagerly waiting for the 2019 Mazda 3's reveal.

I am still a fan of Honda/Acura though but up to now I am not sold on their current design language. It's taking too long..

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-26-2018 01:47
New environment and wheels + cut away.

Silly me forgot about the drivers side view mirror... it's white on all the colors. Oops.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-26-2018 07:38
Looking good! Some suggestions - Your image size is super high and all the variations take a while to load; background complexity could be simplified to put the emphasis on your work; a watermark that lives in the lower shadows are would be helpful in not obscuring the beauty you've made.
Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-26-2018 19:53
I am feeling competitive now haha. You're getting really good at photomanipulation - great job Hondatalover!

My comments about the styling remains the same though - not a fan of the black/dark bar near the side skirts and I still find the headlamps too large. I am into minimalist styling but overall I like it plus good wheel choice. And NO CHROME thank yooooou!

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-26-2018 21:19
Fantastic job as always Hondatalover, I could wish for the skills and creativity you have.

My only point to make on the design front is I feel the lower side bodyline rises too much, which leave me with the impression the body has had it's back broken? Perhaps a shallower angle from the front might help?

But I'm not with Jesse on the lower chrome, I think it looks appropriate for a car in this class, even though I'm all for the minimalist styling. :)

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2019 18:42

Finally getting around to making a rear end for this and boom can't unsee a Buick Lacross. Posting anyway but the final probably will have different taillights.

s2ktaxi
Profile for s2ktaxi
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2019 19:30
Somehow, I missed this the first time. WOW!

Can we get a custom build with 2" less front overhang to exaggerate the FR layout? Maybe a 1" smaller wheel arch and wheel size will make it to production :)

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 05:24
Yup, a bit long up front, but otherwise really nice. Rear renders with angles, exhausts, wheels are in danger of linking one of Acura's saloons to the NSX in a coherent range, so I'm afraid that's totally unrealistic ;-)
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 11:55
Are you saying front over hang (before front axle) or axle to dash ratio is too long?? Because in my opinion neither are an issue.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 13:07
I couldn't upload the full quality image. Apparently even with a Pro account, flickr limits the size to 50mb (was 97mb) so I had to save it as a ugly JPG file

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 18:18
I think axle to dash. Maybe a bit of both, I dunno, just a feeling something is just very slightly off at the front, it's hard to put my finger on it without a whole bunch of options because I'm not a designer ! But the overall feel is really nice.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2022 TLX FR plank    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 00:26
Hondatalover wrote:
Are you saying front over hang (before front axle) or axle to dash ratio is too long?? Because in my opinion neither are an issue.

That is actually probably pretty close to the proper proportion up front with current impact standards...

Looks great. If only Honda had as much imagination.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0