[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Driveô
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: More "ACURA" than "ACURA?"
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2019 Type R in Canada
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Consumer Reports Strikes Again - Tesla Model 3 No Longer Recommended
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CA proposing local autobahn instead of rail
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: Crank, no start, but runs great with push start. Please read
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX not recommended by Consumer Reports
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: JB4 Tuning Box from ScienceofSpeed for 2017+ NSX
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TLX > > Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2019 21:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'm biased but.... I'd take the lesser interior, with better, sweeter sounding V6 and sportier handling over - the more expensive Luxo-cruiser.

You all can watch and decide for yourselves.

PS: I'm surprised to say I find the TLX's exterior in red in ASpec trim to be pretty appealing... dare I say "sporty" or "sexy". Have I gone scenile in my old (middle-ish) age??https://youtu.be/FlO_6Cy8EFA

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 09:53
The TLX is a better car than a lot of folks give credit. When my last lease was finished I looked at the C300, 328, A4, Q50 and still went back to Acura. The TLX isn't significantly better than any of the above but it strikes a great balance. It also isn't worse than any of the above. If you are a badge snob the others might appeal more to you.
technica
Profile for technica
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 16:55
I didn't realize the weight was that high. I can understand their grips on the interior. Still have to give credit to the TLX. Hopefully Acura has a major re-work in place for the next gen.
Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 22:13
99SI wrote:
The TLX is a better car than a lot of folks give credit. When my last lease was finished I looked at the C300, 328, A4, Q50 and still went back to Acura. The TLX isn't significantly better than any of the above but it strikes a great balance. It also isn't worse than any of the above. If you are a badge snob the others might appeal more to you.

The interior materials and design were the largest disappointments to me along with the ZF9.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 22:15
Civicb18 wrote:
99SI wrote:

The interior materials and design were the largest disappointments to me along with the ZF9.

Along with I just didnít feel it was a major upgrade from my 4G SH-AWD. Actually my suspension felt more aggressive.

TLXer
Profile for TLXer
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 23:12
Iíve owned a 2014 TSX 6SPD, a 2014 TL 6SPD, a 2010 TL 6SPD, and a 2016 TLX. Maybe I am also getting old, but the 2016 is my favourite by far.

Ok, the transmission does have issues in that it occasionally pauses way too long to shift. Cars in this class really shouldnít have this issue. But if you shift manually when you want to have some fun then this isnít an issue. The MDX has the same issues and yet doesnít seem as maligned. Maybe we just donít expect as much from an SUV? Yes, I would prefer an MT and the 2010 seats and tires were better, but other than that the 2016 is the superior car to my mind.

Put in into sport mode, turn off the traction control, and manually shift and you get more than enough performance. After that, the other features are superior to the Acura cars I mentioned above.

In particular, the quietness of the cabin and the driving assist features make it a great highway car. Plus anyone who lives in a cold climate will love the remote start and how that integrates with the heated steering wheel and winshield, climate control, heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. And the two-way remote start communication leaves me smiling at my poor coworkers running to the window to see if their car actually started.

Pauly123
Profile for Pauly123
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 07:56
Thanks for posting. I lease my cars and my ILX is going back in the fall (thank God). I know it's hard to say without knowing exactly what the 2020 TLX will offer, but I think we have a pretty good idea on what the interior will look like (new RDX) and the engine options will be the RDX for the base trims, and a new turbo 6cyl for the type S. That said, if you could get a new 2020 TLX with the 4ycl turbo and tech package, or a really great deal on a leftover 2019 6cy, SH-AWD and tech/Advance, which way would you go? I suspect I could save well over $100 a month on a 2019 when compared to the 2020.
LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 11:16
Civicb18 wrote:
99SI wrote:

I have yet to drive one but yes - these seem to be the major weaknesses from what I've read.

As a person who came up from Civics to Accords to a Prelude to a TSX and wife's MDX (not Mercedes) I suspect the interior wouldn't bother me but the tranny quite possibly would. Im assuming interior would offer more than enough tech and that comfort and quality falls somewhere between my TSX and MDX - I'd be OK with with that.

I find my 2nd gen MDX to be a very comfortable place to be and great highway cruiser - it's a "luxo" as I or any driving enthusiasts would need. Maybe when I'm elderly luxurious, supple ridequality is all I will prioritize and then the Merc wins - but for now that's not the case.

Funny or concerning behavior from the ZF however, might scare me away (Is the latest ZF basically all right?). Another reason to #SaveTheManuals ! If the car in the video offered a 6 speed manual (like my TSX) and a sweet sounding V6 and SHAWD (like my MDX) - I'd be all over this latest car and researching to buy.

Hopefully, the next gen is more compelling and offers a true 6 speed in Type S form - if so - I'll stop mulling around the idea of a 4G TL 6speed SHAWD - and start saving my pennies for the next gen!

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 04:35
Pauly123 wrote:
Thanks for posting. I lease my cars and my ILX is going back in the fall (thank God). I know it's hard to say without knowing exactly what the 2020 TLX will offer, but I think we have a pretty good idea on what the interior will look like (new RDX) and the engine options will be the RDX for the base trims, and a new turbo 6cyl for the type S. That said, if you could get a new 2020 TLX with the 4ycl turbo and tech package, or a really great deal on a leftover 2019 6cy, SH-AWD and tech/Advance, which way would you go? I suspect I could save well over $100 a month on a 2019 when compared to the 2020.

The 2020 TLX interior will be a mix of RDX and the Precision Cockpit dash.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 11:54
Civicb18 wrote:
Pauly123 wrote:

The 2020 TLX interior will be a mix of RDX and the Precision Cockpit dash.

The precision cockpit was rather dull and not luxurious at all.

madddog
Profile for madddog
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:47
I have a 2018 TLX V-6. The transmission, once you get the feel of it, is fine. You have to coordinate the accelerator pedal to the transmission, similar to getting the feel of a clutch with a manual transmission.
madddog
Profile for madddog
Re: Somewhat entertaining comparo vs. C Class (Vid)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:48
I have a 2018 TLX V-6. The transmission, once you get the feel of it, is fine. You have to coordinate the accelerator pedal to the transmission, similar to getting the feel of a clutch with a manual transmission.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0