[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: The first RHD 10th gen is here
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Honda/GM Fuel Cell specs
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> 2011 CR-V odd smell diagnosis help
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> INDYCAR: Look Back at St. Pete and Forward to COTA
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Future Acura models

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5
Author
  Post New Thread
Vtec_rally
Profile for Vtec_rally
Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 17:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Interesting article, it states that a new ILX will arrive before the revamped MDX. Also, the TYPE S models will be hear within 24 months.

https://www.autonews.com/nada-show/profit-gains-product-talk-buoys-acura-dealers

It would be stellar to see some niche models added to the mix as well, such as a sporty coupe with a manual transmission option.

Vtec_rally
Profile for Vtec_rally
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 17:49
PS to view the article you might need to go incognito.
Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 20:39
I find that very interesting, considering they just did that second face lift for the ILX. However, I figured with all the new premium subcompacts headed to on to the market, that version wouldn't stick around long. There would be too much of an advantage from the other automakers, especially with interior and more cohesive styling. I'm glad to see they are making an effort to push forward with a new model release earlier than expected, this is very exciting news!!!!
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 22:17
MDX in 2020 means new V6 Turbo isn't ready yet.The expansion at the Anna plant will not be done until late 2019 or early 2020.
So TLX will launch with only 2.0T.(I heard a rumour there might be NA V6... J30? too. Hybrid?)
The V6 Turbo delay is probably why they moved up the ILX debut to 2019(private event this summer).

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 22:56
RolledaNsx wrote:

The V6 Turbo delay is probably why they moved up the ILX debut to 2019(private event this summer).

Rolled, you just made life sunshine and roses my friend!!! I can hardly wait to see what they've created for the ILX, especially after seeing and test driving the new RDX. The question is will they use a shrunken version of what's under the 2020 TLX or a variation of the RDX's platform?

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 23:05
Big thumbs up for a NA j30 with hybrid. My kind of car as long as it is a performance hybrid, not the insight kind with a rubber band transmission.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 00:24
RolledaNsx wrote:

Never heard of this being done on a Honda/Acura before
, after such a radical MMC on the ILX for 2019.

Makes no sense.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 00:38
RolledaNsx wrote:

Never heard of this being done on a Honda/Acura before
, after such a radical MMC on the ILX for 2019.

Makes no sense.

urbanglowcam
Profile for urbanglowcam
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 01:46
Assuming the face-lift of the TLX lasts two years (2018-2019) before a full model change in 2020, the ILX could be a 2021 by the same pattern.
Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 09:09
urbanglowcam wrote:
Assuming the face-lift of the TLX lasts two years (2018-2019) before a full model change in 2020, the ILX could be a 2021 by the same pattern.

The next gen TLX debuts this year, probably at Chicago or the NYC Auto Show and according to Rolled the ILX will get an independent event this summer . The article seems to suggest they are accelerating models so that dealer concerns are addressed, so these new versions will hit the market this year as 2020 models.

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 10:17
The ZDX MMC lasted one year. Just saying.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 10:20
Archknight77 wrote:
urbanglowcam wrote:

The next gen TLX debuts this year, probably at Chicago or the NYC Auto Show and according to Rolled the ILX will get an independent event this summer . The article seems to suggest they are accelerating models so that dealer concerns are addressed, so these new versions will hit the market this year as 2020 models.

For a car that only sold 924 units last month, the amount of money that they have already dedicated to an MMC, followed immediately by the cost of an all-new ILX seems ludicrous.

The RDX's sales went from 4,808 to 6,838 in one year with the sold-out success of the new model, but then again it is an SUV.

Maybe Acura knows something about this Sedan's potential that the rest of the World doesn't?

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 10:23
Archknight77 wrote:
urbanglowcam wrote:

For a car that only sold 924 units last month, the amount of money that they have already dedicated to an MMC, followed immediately by the cost of an all-new ILX seems ludicrous.

The RDX's sales went from 4,808 to 6,838 units in one month with the sold-out success of the new model, but then again it is an SUV.

Maybe Acura knows something about this Sedan's potential that the rest of the World doesn't?

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 10:30
Archknight77 wrote:
urbanglowcam wrote:

The RDX's monthly sales went from from 4,808 units in December of 2017 to 6,838 in December of 2018 with the sold-out success of the new model, but then again it is an SUV.

P.S.
Jeff, it would be nice to have an edit feature.

Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 11:16
I have a ton of MDX clients waiting for the new MDX. This is an important vehicle which desperately needs updating. Sedans are cool to forum members and enthusiasts but don’t contribute much to the bottom line. As for the ILX unless it comes with awd which from what I understand is not happening, I’m not excited. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 11:18
Oh man. They’re gonna screw this up. Making the TLX a midsize? Keeping the ILX around as a compact?

Ugh. Why? Which vehicle gets comped against the compact A4, C-Class, 3 Series, G70, Giulia...?

They’re looking at Infiniti and the Q50 - but they’re ignoring how no other Infiniti sedan sells worth a crap. Because the Q50 sucks up all the buyers and there is no reason to move up.

The only reason I can think of to keep the ILX around is if it will be the one Acura with a manual.

Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 11:20
The all new ILX has Likely been in developement for some time. The current ILX is just minor cosmetics. They merely bought some time.
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 11:33
RolledaNsx wrote:
MDX in 2020 means new V6 Turbo isn't ready yet.The expansion at the Anna plant will not be done until late 2019 or early 2020.
So TLX will launch with only 2.0T.(I heard a rumour there might be NA V6... J30? too. Hybrid?)

Why would they shrink the disp size and power of the J series and do another stupid hybrid? They did the same thing with the MDX and it doesn't sell, it is no quicker then the standard 6 cylinder, much heavier, and not much more fuel efficient so it is pointless. It makes no sense, the engine does not get smaller or lighter when you go from 3.5 to 3.0 nor does gas mileage magically go up in any real way, all you get is a lot loss power and disappointing performance. Don't they ever learn? If anything they should either stay at 3.5 or go to 3.6 and get the power up to 315-330hp.

They are going to lose a ton of buyers, interest, and respect if they just debut with a downmarket compromised turbo 4 cylinder with no available 6 cylinder.

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 11:35
Calgarian wrote:
As for the ILX unless it comes with awd which from what I understand is not happening, I’m not excited. Hopefully I’m wrong.

I'm hoping you are as well, but you were dead on with this 2019 model, so I'm inclined to go with your insight. The majority of people here and articles that have pointed to future Acura models having SH-AWD, it wouldn't benefit Acura to not use this as a selling point over Civic and Accord. Besides that, Acura needs to compete with entry models that offer AWD and there are no shortage of them with prestige to back their pricing. With performance as one of their pillars to getting people interested in the brand beyond loyalists, they'll have to do more than offer value. The good news is they bought themselves some time to perfect the model they're introducing instead of just throwing it out there.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 11:39
silverf16 wrote:
Big thumbs up for a NA j30 with hybrid. My kind of car as long as it is a performance hybrid, not the insight kind with a rubber band transmission.

You want a engine that is much less powerful for no reason in a car that is much heavier, complicated, and expensive with no real gains in performance or fuel economy? They did the same thing to the MDX and it is no quicker then the regular 3.5 version, much heavier, more expensive, more complex, and not much more fuel efficient because it weighs more. The hybrid MDX barely sells as a result. Only way it would have been interesting is if they kept the engine size at 3.5 and boosted total output to 400hp or more yet of course they did not do that, they held back. I would take the 3.5 without the hybrid nonsense and save the money and weight.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 11:49
Fitdad wrote:
Oh man. They’re gonna screw this up. Making the TLX a midsize? Keeping the ILX around as a compact?

Ugh. Why? Which vehicle gets comped against the compact A4, C-Class, 3 Series, G70, Giulia...?

They’re looking at Infiniti and the Q50 - but they’re ignoring how no other Infiniti sedan sells worth a crap. Because the Q50 sucks up all the buyers and there is no reason to move up.

The only reason I can think of to keep the ILX around is if it will be the one Acura with a manual.

The TLX needs to go up in size, it needlessly shrunk from the TL and owners have complained about cramped rear seat room and shrunken trunk space. The TLX and sedans in general look better when they are longer but it is a huge mistake if they don't offer a real premium sedan above the TLX that has serious luxury and power.

I have no idea why they would keep the ILX around, it is a dud and they are really stuck if the TLX still gets 4 cylinders what to do with the ILX especially if they share platforms.

Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 11:53
The ILX replacement has likely been in the works for some time. The current ILX is just a cosmetic change so likely little cost involved.
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:07
My educated guess on ILX is a Civic with front DWB suspension, Si engine, RDX interior
LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:16
lexusgs wrote:
Fitdad wrote:

The TLX needs to go up in size, it needlessly shrunk from the TL and owners have complained about cramped rear seat room and shrunken trunk space. The TLX and sedans in general look better when they are longer but it is a huge mistake if they don't offer a real premium sedan above the TLX that has serious luxury and power.

I have no idea why they would keep the ILX around, it is a dud and they are really stuck if the TLX still gets 4 cylinders what to do with the ILX especially if they share platforms.

I agree with you that the TLX should be as big as the 4G TL again... But disagree about the ILX. I love my TSX and would love a newer version (similar size, weight in a 4door 5 passenger vehicle with a Honda+ motor) but with newer tech and design, SHAWD and sporty suspension. If the other poster is correct about the ILX only being FWD then I will be disappointed and perhaps pointless at that point. But if the next ILX offers at least an optional sport model with SHAWD and a manual or worst case Dual clutch I will be very interested. Not everyone wants or needs a larger sedan (see 4G TL-sized or larger) - so while I agree the TLX should grow the ILX can exist and grow slightly as well but offer a compact sport sedan option that is still desirable to a driving enthusiasts like me.

Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:17
You are so wrong! Look at the best selling sedans. They are actually smaller. The world only needs on Lexus ES.
LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:19
RolledaNsx wrote:
My educated guess on ILX is a Civic with front DWB suspension, Si engine, RDX interior

No SHAWD option ? Excuse my French but WTF are they thinking?

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:20
RolledaNsx wrote:

If they put a 1.5T anywhere near Acura's lineup you can announce it DOA. You maybe able to get away with that in a Europe, but Americans aren't going to pay for a lawnmower engine in a premium car. Audi was the last to try it with the A3 and you see how quickly they ditched in the US lineup. They only way they can go with a performance lineup is the 2.0T, as it shouldn't be out performed by any mainstream compact and should at least be mid-pack with a mid-sizer.

Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:22
Sorry guys but the TLX needs to get smaller. The best selling luxury sedans are smaller than the current TLX. If Acura RLX continues it will be the 190 inch plus size. People buy sedans for second vehicles nowadays. They likely have a SUV or Truck as their larger vehicle.
urbanglowcam
Profile for urbanglowcam
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:26
Archknight77 wrote:
urbanglowcam wrote:

The TLX yes. The ILX summer debut is reaching....

Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2019 12:27
2 liter turbo ILX Type S. I can live with that. The 1.5 would be okay for a base engine paired with the dct.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0