[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
More.......................
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
More.......................
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
NSX --> Re: JB4 Tuning Box from ScienceofSpeed for 2017+ NSX
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX not recommended by Consumer Reports
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: Crank, no start, but runs great with push start. Please read
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Consumer Reports Strikes Again - Tesla Model 3 No Longer Recommended
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: More "ACURA" than "ACURA?"
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CA proposing local autobahn instead of rail
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Future Acura models

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author
  Post New Thread
Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2019 23:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Acura has just posted an Instagram stating a “New era coming 2.5.19”. Any guesses?

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 00:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
When is Chinese New Year?
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 00:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Calgarian wrote:
Acura has just posted an Instagram stating a “New era coming 2.5.19”. Any guesses?


Long Beach GP sponsor

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 08:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Calgarian wrote:
Acura has just posted an Instagram stating a “New era coming 2.5.19”. Any guesses?



Sneak peek at the TLX.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 09:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Acura mattered when it launched because it introduced value into the premium mass-market range.

Not value as in buy our stuff because it’s cheap but badged as if it were expensive. Rather value as in quality product that is not overpriced. To an extent, when Acura launched followed soon after by other aspiring brands, there was a significant premium charged that was about marketing considerations. It was not that established upmarket brands had to charge that hefty premium to deliver quality but rather it was deemed necessary for brand image to charge extra. The reasoning is that a product seems more significant if it costs more.

Honda went another route with its Acura initiative. To me, that came across as a real game-changing approach though we’ll never see the end of exploiting higher pricing to enhance product image. It’s very much what manufacturers do across the board. No doubt even Honda with Acura is doing it to an extent but Acura, I think, has done it far less than competitors and it is something that is good for consumers.

If Honda were to increase MSRP of Acura product mainly to imply that the product was of a higher caliber, it would undo the good that had been accomplished by launching the brand in the first place. This does not mean that it would be a bad thing if Acura were to put higher quality into its cars and charge accordingly. It’s just that adding the quality at excessive cost as a marketing approach has never been what Acura has been about. We as consumers shouldn’t want that. There are consumers who want their product to cost more to seem more successful by virtue of acquiring said product. To such a consumer, there is value in paying extra in the sense that for the extra cost they gain some degree of exclusivity. That’s not what Acura has been about and I hope it never is.

Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 09:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Archknight77 wrote:
Calgarian wrote:
Acura has just posted an Instagram stating a “New era coming 2.5.19”. Any guesses?



Sneak peek at the TLX.


Maybe an announcement of their electrification strategy.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 10:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't want to type what it is, but it ends in an S is my guess.
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 13:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RolledaNsx wrote:
Calgarian wrote:
Acura has just posted an Instagram stating a “New era coming 2.5.19”. Any guesses?


Long Beach GP sponsor



Yeah the video has the ARX in it. And a bunch of what looks like SoCal.

Archknight77
Profile for Archknight77
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 18:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Calgarian wrote:
Acura has just posted an Instagram stating a “New era coming 2.5.19”. Any guesses?


Long Beach GP sponsor



Yeah the video has the ARX in it. And a bunch of what looks like SoCal.



Crap, its nothing to get excited about then.

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 22:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CarmB wrote:


If Honda were to increase MSRP of Acura product mainly to imply that the product was of a higher caliber, it would undo the good that had been accomplished by launching the brand in the first place.



All that good will that that Acura is completely undone and today's Acura so far away from that one I don't see your argument as valid.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2019 15:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Did what's the news?
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2019 15:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
lexusgs wrote:
silverf16 wrote:
Big thumbs up for a NA j30 with hybrid. My kind of car as long as it is a performance hybrid, not the insight kind with a rubber band transmission.


You want a engine that is much less powerful for no reason in a car that is much heavier, complicated, and expensive with no real gains in performance or fuel economy? They did the same thing to the MDX and it is no quicker then the regular 3.5 version, much heavier, more expensive, more complex, and not much more fuel efficient because it weighs more. The hybrid MDX barely sells as a result. Only way it would have been interesting is if they kept the engine size at 3.5 and boosted total output to 400hp or more yet of course they did not do that, they held back. I would take the 3.5 without the hybrid nonsense and save the money and weight.



Jeez, have you ever driven an EV? Because an iMMD or eSH-AWD hybrid is ab EV (OK, the latter sort of)....

Having an electric motor drive your wheels directly removes the delay of the transmission downshifting and the ICE spooling up. It's an instant ON.

The hybrid may have less (or the same horsepower) but it has MUCH more torque, right off the line, where it matters.

So, yes, I'll take the Honda iMMD like hybrid anyday, because I've owned them.

You, OTOH, are an armchair quarterback.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2019 17:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CarmB wrote:
Acura mattered when it launched because it introduced value into the premium mass-market range.

Not value as in buy our stuff because it’s cheap but badged as if it were expensive. Rather value as in quality product that is not overpriced. To an extent, when Acura launched followed soon after by other aspiring brands, there was a significant premium charged that was about marketing considerations. It was not that established upmarket brands had to charge that hefty premium to deliver quality but rather it was deemed necessary for brand image to charge extra. The reasoning is that a product seems more significant if it costs more.

Honda went another route with its Acura initiative. To me, that came across as a real game-changing approach though we’ll never see the end of exploiting higher pricing to enhance product image. It’s very much what manufacturers do across the board. No doubt even Honda with Acura is doing it to an extent but Acura, I think, has done it far less than competitors and it is something that is good for consumers.

If Honda were to increase MSRP of Acura product mainly to imply that the product was of a higher caliber, it would undo the good that had been accomplished by launching the brand in the first place. This does not mean that it would be a bad thing if Acura were to put higher quality into its cars and charge accordingly. It’s just that adding the quality at excessive cost as a marketing approach has never been what Acura has been about. We as consumers shouldn’t want that. There are consumers who want their product to cost more to seem more successful by virtue of acquiring said product. To such a consumer, there is value in paying extra in the sense that for the extra cost they gain some degree of exclusivity. That’s not what Acura has been about and I hope it never is.



You are risking of drowning in Nick's Circular Acura Argument....

IMHO, there have been quite a few missteps in Acura's managements, ever since '93.

But, IMHO, the worst has been keeping the Legend/RL/RoLeX and the Vigor/TL the same size.

They need to move the RoLeX a little up market. Ideally there should be a sedan with a base MSRP of $30K, $36K, $42K and $50K. With options and trim levels...

And all should be SH-AWD.

It you look at the MDX and RDX they are well thought out vehicles, although I'm a bit worried about the RDX not offering a V6/6AT, a powertrain that suited it very well.


Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2019 21:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hopefully the info provided to me today is incorrect but I have been informed no new models will be arriving at the dealership this year. Again it could be a ploy to take the focus off the pending new arrivals and focus more on the existing vehicles.
The New York show will be telling.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2019 21:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Calgarian wrote:
Hopefully the info provided to me today is incorrect but I have been informed no new models will be arriving at the dealership this year. Again it could be a ploy to take the focus off the pending new arrivals and focus more on the existing vehicles.
The New York show will be telling.



TLX FMC 2019
MDX FMC 2020
Type-S within 24 months



Last edited by JeffX on 02-07-2019 13:55
MASTERNC
Profile for MASTERNC
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2019 21:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
You want a engine that is much less powerful for no reason in a car that is much heavier, complicated, and expensive with no real gains in performance or fuel economy? They did the same thing to the MDX and it is no quicker then the regular 3.5 version, much heavier, more expensive, more complex, and not much more fuel efficient because it weighs more. The hybrid MDX barely sells as a result. Only way it would have been interesting is if they kept the engine size at 3.5 and boosted total output to 400hp or more yet of course they did not do that, they held back. I would take the 3.5 without the hybrid nonsense and save the money and weight.


Jeez, have you ever driven an EV? Because an iMMD or eSH-AWD hybrid is ab EV (OK, the latter sort of)....

Having an electric motor drive your wheels directly removes the delay of the transmission downshifting and the ICE spooling up. It's an instant ON.

The hybrid may have less (or the same horsepower) but it has MUCH more torque, right off the line, where it matters.

So, yes, I'll take the Honda iMMD like hybrid anyday, because I've owned them.

You, OTOH, are an armchair quarterback.



FWIW, the major automobile magazines seemed to like the MDX Sport Hybrid better than the gas model, especially given the $1,500 price difference. They sell well enough they are hard to find (they were for my parents last year).

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2019 23:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RolledaNsx wrote:
Calgarian wrote:
Hopefully the info provided to me today is incorrect but I have been informed no new models will be arriving at the dealership this year. Again it could be a ploy to take the focus off the pending new arrivals and focus more on the existing vehicles.
The New York show will be telling.



TLX FMC 2019
MDX FMC 2020
Type-S within 24 months




Suureee. Someone also said there will be a TLX prototype or concept thing at the Chicago Auto Show in the next few days........

If there is one thing to give credit to Honda and Acura, they sure have kept the whole next generation stuff on a tight seal for a long time.


sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 01:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Which doesn't give me any confidence...

Remember the last time they were so secretive about a new model?

2009 TL it was, and they kept telling us the new design was going to "knock our socks off".

It sure did, but not in a nice way. :( :(

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 10:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Calgarian wrote:
Hopefully the info provided to me today is incorrect but I have been informed no new models will be arriving at the dealership this year. Again it could be a ploy to take the focus off the pending new arrivals and focus more on the existing vehicles.
The New York show will be telling.



Makes sense if you think about how we’ve only seen Powertrain mules and not any new sheet metal in spy shots. Unless Acura has a total “concept” and not a “prototype” to show at New York - I mean sure they can hide stuff - but why? They’ve already told us the turbo 6 is coming along with the Type-s and we’ve seen those mules running around.

However the Autonews article, which would seem to be sourced directly from dealer meetings, says that a new TLX is coming this year.

A semantics question: did they mean no “all-new” models? Like no...CDX? Technically someone could say “no new models” and there could still be an FMC coming for an existing model.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 10:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hondatalover wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Calgarian wrote:
Hopefully the info provided to me today is incorrect but I have been informed no new models will be arriving at the dealership this year. Again it could be a ploy to take the focus off the pending new arrivals and focus more on the existing vehicles.
The New York show will be telling.



TLX FMC 2019
MDX FMC 2020
Type-S within 24 months




Suureee. Someone also said there will be a TLX prototype or concept thing at the Chicago Auto Show in the next few days........

If there is one thing to give credit to Honda and Acura, they sure have kept the whole next generation stuff on a tight seal for a long time.



Considering the rumors point to just another compromised FWD trans TLX like the current one, dropping the one great thing about it, the J series V6 for mostly less refined turbo 4's there is probably not much they want to talk about or can get anyone excited about so they are just keeping quiet.

Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 12:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
Calgarian wrote:
Hopefully the info provided to me today is incorrect but I have been informed no new models will be arriving at the dealership this year. Again it could be a ploy to take the focus off the pending new arrivals and focus more on the existing vehicles.
The New York show will be telling.



Makes sense if you think about how we’ve only seen Powertrain mules and not any new sheet metal in spy shots. Unless Acura has a total “concept” and not a “prototype” to show at New York - I mean sure they can hide stuff - but why? They’ve already told us the turbo 6 is coming along with the Type-s and we’ve seen those mules running around.

However the Autonews article, which would seem to be sourced directly from dealer meetings, says that a new TLX is coming this year.

A semantics question: did they mean no “all-new” models? Like no...CDX? Technically someone could say “no new models” and there could still be an FMC coming for an existing model.



Good question. A fully re-designed TLX is not a "new" model, but an updated existing model.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 13:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
Which doesn't give me any confidence...

Remember the last time they were so secretive about a new model?

2009 TL it was, and they kept telling us the new design was going to "knock our socks off".

It sure did, but not in a nice way. :( :(


TBH exterior design is the thing I am not confident Acura will get right. TBF the current Accord or the Accord which the 09 TL was based on wasnt revealed at any auto shows either I believe. The 09 TL is everywhere now in the second hand market and still looks good IMO and as a complete package as compared to similar competition it's still better than the prior smart luxury products. INTERIOR and EXTERIOR must be a home run. Considering Christensen left for a second time maybe she wasnt liking the direction Merek was forcing( her concepts were interesting). My fear is they will take the worst of the PCC such as the rear and force it on another FWD platform with stretch wheelbase and we will end up with a odd looking design like the current Accord.If the mules with the covered front ends is hiding new sheet metal than we are getting more of the same with the v shape front ends that exaggerate overhands, hopefully we will know a little bit more at NY in about 2 months.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 13:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hondatalover wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Calgarian wrote:
Hopefully the info provided to me today is incorrect but I have been informed no new models will be arriving at the dealership this year. Again it could be a ploy to take the focus off the pending new arrivals and focus more on the existing vehicles.
The New York show will be telling.



TLX FMC 2019
MDX FMC 2020
Type-S within 24 months




Suureee. Someone also said there will be a TLX prototype or concept thing at the Chicago Auto Show in the next few days........

If there is one thing to give credit to Honda and Acura, they sure have kept the whole next generation stuff on a tight seal for a long time.




To my knowledge, there's no TLX prototype at Chicago. The "big news" from Acura was the NSX 30th celebration.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 13:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
MASTERNC wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
You want a engine that is much less powerful for no reason in a car that is much heavier, complicated, and expensive with no real gains in performance or fuel economy? They did the same thing to the MDX and it is no quicker then the regular 3.5 version, much heavier, more expensive, more complex, and not much more fuel efficient because it weighs more. The hybrid MDX barely sells as a result. Only way it would have been interesting is if they kept the engine size at 3.5 and boosted total output to 400hp or more yet of course they did not do that, they held back. I would take the 3.5 without the hybrid nonsense and save the money and weight.


Jeez, have you ever driven an EV? Because an iMMD or eSH-AWD hybrid is ab EV (OK, the latter sort of)....

Having an electric motor drive your wheels directly removes the delay of the transmission downshifting and the ICE spooling up. It's an instant ON.

The hybrid may have less (or the same horsepower) but it has MUCH more torque, right off the line, where it matters.

So, yes, I'll take the Honda iMMD like hybrid anyday, because I've owned them.

You, OTOH, are an armchair quarterback.



FWIW, the major automobile magazines seemed to like the MDX Sport Hybrid better than the gas model, especially given the $1,500 price difference. They sell well enough they are hard to find (they were for my parents last year).



I prefer the Sport Hybrid MDX though I wish it had the 3.5 instead of the 3.0, just for the added torque.

The MDX sport hybrid feels quicker nearly all the time and it's quite a hoot to whip around the twisties. The one notable shortcoming is when it's fully burdened with passengers and you're dealing with mountain inclines - you can then easily sense the torque deficit of the smaller engine and the additional weight of the batteries and electric AWD system.

urbanglowcam
Profile for urbanglowcam
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 14:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hondatalover wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Calgarian wrote:
Hopefully the info provided to me today is incorrect but I have been informed no new models will be arriving at the dealership this year. Again it could be a ploy to take the focus off the pending new arrivals and focus more on the existing vehicles.
The New York show will be telling.



TLX FMC 2019
MDX FMC 2020
Type-S within 24 months




Suureee. Someone also said there will be a TLX prototype or concept thing at the Chicago Auto Show in the next few days........

If there is one thing to give credit to Honda and Acura, they sure have kept the whole next generation stuff on a tight seal for a long time.




When has the Chicago Auto Show ever been a venue for a major reveal let alone an Acura unveiling? I was more surprised that Detroit didn't have anything. Fortunately, New York has become a bigger auto show and the press release points to Acura having an upcoming debut. If it's not the TLX, what would be next in line? https://carbuzz.com/news/2019-new-york-auto-show-is-gonna-be-a-big-one

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 14:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Calgarian wrote:
Hopefully the info provided to me today is incorrect but I have been informed no new models will be arriving at the dealership this year. Again it could be a ploy to take the focus off the pending new arrivals and focus more on the existing vehicles.
The New York show will be telling.



TLX FMC 2019
MDX FMC 2020
Type-S within 24 months




Suureee. Someone also said there will be a TLX prototype or concept thing at the Chicago Auto Show in the next few days........

If there is one thing to give credit to Honda and Acura, they sure have kept the whole next generation stuff on a tight seal for a long time.




To my knowledge, there's no TLX prototype at Chicago. The "big news" from Acura was the NSX 30th celebration.


And there was much rejoicing...

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 14:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
A 2.0t Sport Hybrid - IMO - makes the most sense moving forward if Acura wants to position the Sport Hybrid as more to the "middle" of the lineup. And with the new Turbo-6 coming I don't know why anything else would make sense. An engine hierarchy something like:

272 hp 2.0t
320 hp 2.0t Sport Hybrid
350+ hp 3.0t

The 3.0L V6 in the MDX Sport Hybrid has 257 hp and 218 lb-ft of torque.

The 2.0t from the Accord has 252 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque.

Makes all the sense in the world to this person - but who knows what Acura has planned.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 14:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
MASTERNC wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
You want a engine that is much less powerful for no reason in a car that is much heavier, complicated, and expensive with no real gains in performance or fuel economy? They did the same thing to the MDX and it is no quicker then the regular 3.5 version, much heavier, more expensive, more complex, and not much more fuel efficient because it weighs more. The hybrid MDX barely sells as a result. Only way it would have been interesting is if they kept the engine size at 3.5 and boosted total output to 400hp or more yet of course they did not do that, they held back. I would take the 3.5 without the hybrid nonsense and save the money and weight.


Jeez, have you ever driven an EV? Because an iMMD or eSH-AWD hybrid is ab EV (OK, the latter sort of)....

Having an electric motor drive your wheels directly removes the delay of the transmission downshifting and the ICE spooling up. It's an instant ON.

The hybrid may have less (or the same horsepower) but it has MUCH more torque, right off the line, where it matters.

So, yes, I'll take the Honda iMMD like hybrid anyday, because I've owned them.

You, OTOH, are an armchair quarterback.



FWIW, the major automobile magazines seemed to like the MDX Sport Hybrid better than the gas model, especially given the $1,500 price difference. They sell well enough they are hard to find (they were for my parents last year).



I prefer the Sport Hybrid MDX though I wish it had the 3.5 instead of the 3.0, just for the added torque.

The MDX sport hybrid feels quicker nearly all the time and it's quite a hoot to whip around the twisties. The one notable shortcoming is when it's fully burdened with passengers and you're dealing with mountain inclines - you can then easily sense the torque deficit of the smaller engine and the additional weight of the batteries and electric AWD system.


Before it was even reviewed and I found out they were going with the antiquated J30 from China I knew that it was going to be an issue. There is no reason why the MDX should not have gotten the 3.5 with sport hybrid. The combined rated power would have looked better on paper and when the e motors went off line you wouldnt be at a HP disadvantage over the regular. They were likely catering to China with displacement or knew they couldnt charge a premium for the sport hybrid so went with the lesser engine.

TL_Guy
Profile for TL_Guy
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 18:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Any word on the FMC RLX?
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Future Acura models    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 21:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The pricing, performance and positioning of the MDX Sport Hybrid is just right. I don't think the Sport Hybrid should be the top performer when it comes to Acura models (I feel that way about the NSX too BTW) but they should rather be in the middle. The MDX Tech Sport Hybrid is $1500 more than the mechanical SHAWD Tech model and gives, I think, $1500 worth of speed and economy upgrades over that model.

I don't know what future hybrids Acura has planned - but with the 3.0t coming it makes all kinds of sense to keep the hybrids positioned in the middle - as a solid upgrade to the SHAWD models - but not at the level of the Type-S/3.0t models.


 
Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4] 5
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0