[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
NSX --> Re: JB4 Tuning Box from ScienceofSpeed for 2017+ NSX
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX not recommended by Consumer Reports
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: Crank, no start, but runs great with push start. Please read
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Consumer Reports Strikes Again - Tesla Model 3 No Longer Recommended
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: More "ACURA" than "ACURA?"
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CA proposing local autobahn instead of rail
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027 > > Re: Where are the cars to go with it?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Atomic Frog
Profile for Atomic Frog
Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2019 23:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
You know what would be cool? Actual electric cars. You know, to actually go with the batteries...
I don't think Honda has completely missed the boat yet, but the opportunity window is not getting bigger.

I think once these things get going, they will get going rapidly. Everyone I've talked to says once you try an EV, you will never want to go back. (And I concur). Where I work, just in the past year it has gone from almost nothing to the EV chargers being constantly full all day, every day. Where I live, government has already set a deadline for phasing out the old stuff and when you do the math, you already come out ahead just on the fuel savings, never mind the ride quality and real-world performance.

Our community centres, shopping malls, libraries, etc. are all bulking up on EV chargers already, rows and rows of 'em at some places, squeezing out the standard cars.

I'm looking for a replacement for my aging Acura but Honda has nothing for me to look forward to. Nothing even planned, at best just vague rumors.
Mind you, Honda is not alone in this boat but that's not an excuse! There are others which have forged ahead already and they will acquire the experience and mindshare ahead of their competitors.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 08:35
Atomic Frog wrote:
You know what would be cool? Actual electric cars. You know, to actually go with the batteries...
[...]

They have already released a BEV past year in China, and a new one is comming this year.

They also have plans to sell HEV versions of many of the cars they sell in the region (for Europe they've said all of them, and in Japan it's already all but the kei-cars).

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 09:16
I think you are kind of misunderstand what this is. This isn't a "missing the boat" Honda product-development issue for the Western world.

This deal is clearly for the China region; there will be many, many Honda BEVS in that country because Honda has many joint ventures.

That doesn't mean those same cars will be sold elsewhere, since China in particular is probably the most aggressive in the world for fleet switchover to electric vehicles (with a complete switchover taking place by the mid 2000s). This has nothing to do with Honda "missing the boat", Honda is doing this because they can't sell cars in China without meeting this existential regulatory requirement, which would be an extremely terrible thing since China's car market is about 1.5-2x the size of the United States.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 11:45
It is very hard to ship mass amount of lithium batteries so the best route is make them where you sell the model.

CATL. China and Europe
Blue Energy. Japan
GM NA Market

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 14:53
I've been writing letters to Amercan Honda Motor Co., Inc., begging them to bring the Urban EV (or whatever they call it at the Geneva unveiling in early March) to North America.

My first letter went unanswered, but my second letter received a reply that the Urban EV wasn't destined for North America, but rest assured, Honda would be selling a 50-state EV in the US eventually. I assume that will be an HR-V EV, Element EV or some other crossover EV.

After reading that Honda was going to make only 5,000 Urban EVs annually, I realized that Honda's not really serious about EVs yet, despite calling the underpinnings of the Urban EV their new global EV platform.

I wrote another letter, begging Honda to make the Urban EV US-legal so we wouldn't have to wait 25 years to import one on our own. That letter ended up going to Honda's complaint department. The complaint department told me they would let me know if my complaint could be resolved.

So after 34 years as a loyal Honda customer (20 as an electrified Honda car customer--3 Insights and a Clarity PHEV), I'm hoping BMW brings their upcoming electric Mini Cooper S E to my local Mini dealer. The production version of the Mini Cooper S E is also slated for unveiling at the Geneva show.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 16:12
The Urban EV reminds me of the Mini Cooper, so I found their January sales. I wondered if the small iconic Mini was being out done by their new larger Clubman and Countryman. 1,382 for the small, and 1,075 for the larger (which is still small).

Mini Car Sales January 2019
Hardtop 2 door – 512 152″ L x 68″ W x 56″ H
Hardtop 4 door – 473 158″ L x 68″ W x 56″ H
Convertible – 397 151-153″ L x 68″ W x 56″ H

Clubman 204 168″ L x 71″ W x 57″ H
Countryman 871 170″ L x 72″ W x 61″ H

They chose the Countryman to be their only PHEV.

BTW – CTR – 179.4 x 73.9 x 56.5

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 20:28
Insightman wrote:
I've been writing letters to Amercan Honda Motor Co., Inc., begging them to bring the Urban EV (or whatever they call it at the Geneva unveiling in early March) to North America.

My first letter went unanswered, but my second letter received a reply that the Urban EV wasn't destined for North America, but rest assured, Honda would be selling a 50-state EV in the US eventually. I assume that will be an HR-V EV, Element EV or some other crossover EV.

After reading that Honda was going to make only 5,000 Urban EVs annually, I realized that Honda's not really serious about EVs yet, despite calling the underpinnings of the Urban EV their new global EV platform.

I wrote another letter, begging Honda to make the Urban EV US-legal so we wouldn't have to wait 25 years to import one on our own. That letter ended up going to Honda's complaint department. The complaint department told me they would let me know if my complaint could be resolved.

So after 34 years as a loyal Honda customer (20 as an electrified Honda car customer--3 Insights and a Clarity PHEV), I'm hoping BMW brings their upcoming electric Mini Cooper S E to my local Mini dealer. The production version of the Mini Cooper S E is also slated for unveiling at the Geneva show.

You know, the iMMD serial hybrids and the PHEV are BOTH EVs.

So is the Clarity FCEV.

You confuse EV with BEV.

A BEV is an EV, but an EV is not necesarily a BEV.

BTW, the IMA hybrids are NOT EVs.

Capisce?

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2019 00:39
I was confused by Honda naming the car the Urban EV.
None
Profile for None
Re: Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2019 09:52
Atomic Frog wrote:
I don't think Honda has completely missed the boat yet, but the opportunity window is not getting bigger.

I think once these things get going, they will get going rapidly. Everyone I've talked to says once you try an EV, you will never want to go back. (And I concur). Where I work, just in the past year it has gone from almost nothing to the EV chargers being constantly full all day, every day. Where I live, government has already set a deadline for phasing out the old stuff and when you do the math, you already come out ahead just on the fuel savings, never mind the ride quality and real-world performance.

Our community centres, shopping malls, libraries, etc. are all bulking up on EV chargers already, rows and rows of 'em at some places, squeezing out the standard cars.

I'm looking for a replacement for my aging Acura but Honda has nothing for me to look forward to. Nothing even planned, at best just vague rumors.
Mind you, Honda is not alone in this boat but that's not an excuse! There are others which have forged ahead already and they will acquire the experience and mindshare ahead of their competitors.

So the Clarity is NOTHING?

Teamhondaguy
Profile for Teamhondaguy
Re: Where are the cars to go with it? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2019 16:28
What’s interesting Honda sold the first production EV in California over 20 years. Later expanding it to two other states but like the hybrids they never got credit for their efforts because bigger companies with more marketing cash could break the market.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0