[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
NSX --> Re: JB4 Tuning Box from ScienceofSpeed for 2017+ NSX
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX not recommended by Consumer Reports
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: Crank, no start, but runs great with push start. Please read
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Consumer Reports Strikes Again - Tesla Model 3 No Longer Recommended
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: More "ACURA" than "ACURA?"
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CA proposing local autobahn instead of rail
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar > > Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring...

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2019 20:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I recall reading, I don't know if it was R&T or C&D, but in the first Full Review of the NSX, the writer commented that as he was doing exceptionally FAST laps around the Ring he had time to change the radio stations and listen to the radio.

He was amazed how FAST the thing was going and how EASY it was to haul ass. He was going faster than the contemporary Porsches, Ferraris, etc... you name it.

It took a while for the status driven snobs to realize that a mid engined Japanese V6 could beat the living crap out of their "pedigreed brands"... and it was reliable too.

(Note: I think that to that date, the only better review of a Honda had been Paul Frere's Letter From Europe where he drove his CRX SiR from Paris to his home in the South of France -I believe he kept the car. Faster and more exhilarating than his Porsche! )

I don't know about the NSX-2. The World has changed and a lightweight car like the NSX is no longer possible due to safety regulations.

I suppose the eSH-AWD is a tour de force. What AHM needs to do is (a) put in a two speed differential in the TMU to allow EV power into higher speeds and (b) weight trimming.

Could they use a KERS like system?

And a RWD model might be fine for entry level, like the 911's different trims, but it must have AWD for the top.... Now, having that electric motor torque must be one real fun slingshot out of the corners, but yeah, they must find a way to keep the Electric motor torque in play at high speeds as well. Right now, they start to fade away and become boat anchors.

Otherwise, just go SH-AWD. On a racecar it's main limitation: need power output from the engine to do torque steering, should not matter much as in such an environment the driver must keep the car at the perimeter of the traction circle..

..hmm.. still might need a small electric motor in the back end under computer control, huh? Like when the driver is braking sharply INTO the turn. Which mean... do ALL YOUR BRAKING before the turn and then power through and out the turn.

SH-AWD 101: Drive Like Ayrton and you'll be a car hero like Fangio!

That said, a two box, Group B like, ILX-R with SH-AWD, 370 bhp 2.2T, 8DCT and Big Wing would satisfy my late-life crisis. ;-)

And the World has changed so much.

Recall how we loved our GSRs.... 0-60 in what... 6.7 secs? That was fast THEN. Today, a family sedan like an Accord can put down times that blow the GSR. Sure, sure, they don't feel the same. The ITR my wife drove a few times and missed out on had a direct feeling that you don't have in our Super Duper Cars today.

Heck, even our 02 OTR, with it's 240bhp and 5AT (while healthy) would break 0-60 in under 7 seconds! A minivan for chrissakes!

(Note: I think minivans have gotten slothier or maybe we just don't feel it anymore... my current Ridgeline is quite quick when you put your foot at it, and it's a truck for crying out loud. A truck! )

Even the EVs, with all their linerarity and great instant acceleration don't have that rip roaring sound of a B18 buzz bomb reaching for a redline previously reserved for motorcycles... (Yes, we LOVED our GSR...).

Things change.

Only cigars and cognac get better, everything else gets nostalgic.

96civicEX
Profile for 96civicEX
Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 14:56
TonyEX wrote:
I don't know about the NSX-2. The World has changed and a lightweight car like the NSX is no longer possible due to safety regulations.

McLaren and Koeniggseg have supercars weighting the same or even a bit less than the 1st NSX.

But I get you. I still have a 5th gen Prelude, and it's not as quick as many newer family sedans or even some compact cars, but I enjoy every bit of driving in that car and can't see my self letting it go for a new Civic Si.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 17:35
96civicEX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

McLaren and Koeniggseg have supercars weighting the same or even a bit less than the 1st NSX.

But I get you. I still have a 5th gen Prelude, and it's not as quick as many newer family sedans or even some compact cars, but I enjoy every bit of driving in that car and can't see my self letting it go for a new Civic Si.

And, HOW MUCH do they cost?

That's the rub you see.... if you're willing to throw enough money at it, the trick is to get it done at a reasonable cost and complexity.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2019 12:36
TonyEX wrote:
96civicEX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

That's the rub you see.... if you're willing to throw enough money at it, the trick is to get it done at a reasonable cost and complexity.

There are still some relatively light weight sports cars that don't cost a fortune like Pagani's available now. It is not really safety regs that increase weight but the luxury/features/sound deadening buyers demand in sports cars, hybrids increase weight exponentially for not much gains if any in performance. NSX would be about 500lbs lighter without the hybrid hardware even with a 8 or 10 cylinder making more power.

Corvette 3347lbs
Ferrari 488 3241lbs
Porsche 911 GT3 3280lbs
BMW M4 3466lbs
Dodge Viper 3415lbs
McLaren 570S 3201lbs

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-10-2019 09:50
96civicEX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

When I had a 5G 'Lude, I got irritated by modern BMWs and stuff holding me up on wet, sweeping bends and round roundabouts.

It doesn't require stupid power to make quick journey times, just a brilliant chassis.

Actually, I have the same problem with the Leg End...

The NSX better scares them out of the way.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 17:09
Nick GravesX wrote:
96civicEX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

When I had a 5G 'Lude, I got irritated by modern BMWs and stuff holding me up on wet, sweeping bends and round roundabouts.

It doesn't require stupid power to make quick journey times, just a brilliant chassis.

Actually, I have the same problem with the Leg End...

The NSX better scares them out of the way.

The SH was a very neutral handling car, with a nutsoid VTEC engagement threshold and an easy to use clutch. It felt like a well tuned GT until you hit the turns, then it became a sport car.

The hood to cabin to trunk proportions were classic.

But, taking off our rose colored glasses, the shifter in the RSX-S and later simply made the SH's feel loose.

Time passes on. AHM/HMC/HoE have not build a proper successor to the SH. The SiRs are all FWD with an LSD and the TLX SHAWD MT6 was much heavier... besides the TLX SHAWD doesn't have a proper sequential or manual transmission either.

The true follower to the Prelude SH would be an SH-AWD lightweight vehicle... something under 3200 lbs... with either a 6MT or 8DCT. Hopefully with a 2.0T or 2.2T.

I burn incense to the family altar for an ILX-R. They can call it ILX, PRLX, CraPx... I don't care, just gimme that powertrain with a nice cabin, red paint and dual rear wings and I'm set.

My driving record has been clean for way too long.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 17:10
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
96civicEX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

There are still some relatively light weight sports cars that don't cost a fortune like Pagani's available now. It is not really safety regs that increase weight but the luxury/features/sound deadening buyers demand in sports cars, hybrids increase weight exponentially for not much gains if any in performance. NSX would be about 500lbs lighter without the hybrid hardware even with a 8 or 10 cylinder making more power.

Corvette 3347lbs
Ferrari 488 3241lbs
Porsche 911 GT3 3280lbs
BMW M4 3466lbs
Dodge Viper 3415lbs
McLaren 570S 3201lbs

To me, these cars cost a fortune.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 11:14
TonyEX wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
96civicEX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

Corvette 3347lbs
Ferrari 488 3241lbs
Porsche 911 GT3 3280lbs
BMW M4 3466lbs
Dodge Viper 3415lbs
McLaren 570S 3201lbs

To me, these cars cost a fortune.

A base Corvette does not cost much more then your A spec TLX or top line loaded Ridgeline. You can get a pretty lightly used base 911 or M4 for the price of a Corvette, even less if you look for deals. Some of the cars mentioned can be obtained by the middle class if they really want them, don't mind buying used.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2019 17:01
Just picked up a 2017 NSX. It really doesn't feel like it's almost as heavy as my RDX.
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: First NSX road tests at the Nurbugring... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2019 18:51
I might buy a used 911, but I doubt I'd feel too comfortable buying that I got a "deal" on.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0