[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesis’s CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Car time again

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2019 14:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
OK, the Ridgeline is going away in three months, so we got to start thinking about the replacement.

The first option is to buy our Daughter of the Confederacy off lease. But I won't because she has three issues: (1) rear doors don't open wide enough (*); (2) tailgate won't lock (**) and (3) the hard bed tonneau cover design blocks the in bed lights and the in bed trunk lid. (***)

So, the options are:

(1) Another Ridgeline BE
(2) Pilot Touring AWD
(3) RDX Tech (with LED foglights)
(4) Passport (AWD)
(5) MDX eSH-AWD (Tech)

(Hmm... come to think about it... aren't they all Daughters Of The Confederacy in good standing? Born in Lincoln, Talladega Cty, Alabama?)

(1) Boring. Great truck, underbraked, used to it, but the neighbors won't notice we got a new one. Bad for our status amongst my neighbors who are into cars: "What, you got the same thing again?". OTOH, it's an excellent price, nicely loaded for about $45K (with roof rack). We should add the roof rack if we go with another one, sometimes you want to attach lumber to the roof rack since the bed is sort of short.

(2) Pilot... Jesus Christ! Have you seen the price? I priced one, actually I started with the Elite only to see it was fimly in MDX price levels... Turns out that a nicely turned out Pilot Touring AWD, etc, etc... runs almost $50K. At that point, I stopped looking. It makes no sense to me.

(3) RDX AWD Tech... latest version of SH-AWD should make it fun, more aggressive that Honda's own iVTM4 -which works fine in our Ridgeline. Few options needed on the tech, except for the LED foglights. But the interior sort of sucks. That big knob for AWD mode wastes a lot of valuable dash real state that will seldom get used. Price is in line with Ridgeline, but the vehicle is kind of small for carrying stuff. ELS is a very good thing. LED headlights are awesome.

(4) Passport.... I think we'd rather go for the RDX, which is cheaper. For two rows, I'd rather go Acura and get the better interior and AWD tuning and ELS. A non starter for us.

(5) MDX eSH-AWD... OK, you'll say: "But Tony, this one is expensive...". Yes, it will run almost $54K... but this is not much more than a nicely loaded Pilot and since it's a lease, the monthly payment is not a hit. At this point we get the very cool hybrid platform with AWD and the full boat Acura 3 row (meaning good storage behind the 2nd row) set up. It's equivalent to the Tech so it's nicely loaded with NAVI, ELS, etc.. It's definitely a step up from any Honda badged car.

So there... my wife thinks the MDX "hybrid" is cool, although it will ticket a cool $9K more than the Ridgeline BE. Do we need all that stuff when my commute is 3.3 miles one way? Well, no, but this will be our long trip vehicle so she wants AWD for the "safety" of driving the mountain passes on Christmas trips (****)

Also, the hybrid has better mileage.. about 500 miles per tank so that becomes very handy on long trips... non stop to Bay Area and Vegas, two stops to Seattle... the trick to making good time is to keep a good speed, hold your piss and not stop very often.

(*) Turns out this is an esay fix after all.

(**) The "fix" is not good enough, it should be integrated with the power door locks.

(***) I think it needs a metal, rolling, locking cover.

(****) We've started to go to the Puget Sound on Christmas every year now because of family circumstances. Flying and renting a car for 10 days is a hassle, so we drive and stop at the Bay Area for a couple of days -my son lives there now. This means we have to deal with the possibility -likelyhood- of snowy mountain passes on the I5, so AWD does come handy. Although, FWD and a more careful foot are sufficient. But, happy wife, happy me, so AWD it is.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2019 14:49
We just put new Conti's on our 2000 Accord and we are all set!
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2019 22:18
superchg2 wrote:

Wow... how many times did you have to change the wipers on that car?

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2019 22:44
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

Wow... how many times did you have to change the wipers on that car?

Maybe 4 times.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 02:08
I feel like the RDX has the best interior out of all the cars you've listed. That knob I understand it would take up space, but then there's also quite a bit of space underneath it. Also, the knob is for controlling the dynamics of the car, not just the AWD system. For sure out of the cars you've listed, it's got the smallest cargo capacity.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 08:20
To me the most appealing vehicles on your list are the new RDX or another Ridgeline. The former being a real step forward for the brand and the latter offering the smartest take on a truck that exists today.
CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 09:12
Re: snooty neighbors: This would get their attention to show how prudent you are with your money and you must be “The Millionaire Next Door” or the next Warren Buffett. A Civic LX with CVT in white. Economical, reliable, has nifty handling, perfect for that ‘long” commute.
xman
Profile for xman
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 16:05
CanTeX wrote:
Re: snooty neighbors: This would get their attention to show how prudent you are with your money and you must be “The Millionaire Next Door” or the next Warren Buffett. A Civic LX with CVT in white. Economical, reliable, has nifty handling, perfect for that ‘long” commute.

I 2nd that! Seriously the only thing the vehicles you listed have in common is that they all belong to AHMC. Surprised you didn't throw in the Odyssey in to the list.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 17:12
CanTeX wrote:

They know where my better half lives. They just want to see me get new cars so they can check them out.

Not so much "status", it's more of a game.

They lease their Bimmers and Benzes but they have to change the wipers before they return them. Not so with us, we keep the OEM wipers.

Only when we buy a car off lease do we change the wipers.. and then we usually get the dealer to do it before we turn the car back in... ;-)

Civic LX... you gotta be kidding. Hmm.. we did have one once upon a time, four door, black, AC, '99. it was our 3rd car so the housekeeper could bus the kids around. It got 2600 miles in one year!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2019 17:17
xman wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

I 2nd that! Seriously the only thing the vehicles you listed have in common is that they all belong to AHMC. Surprised you didn't throw in the Odyssey in to the list.

Hmm... where have you been all these years?

Besides, does the Odyssey have AWD? Not that I know off. All of our Odysseys, including both OTRs, were FWD only.

BTW: It's known as AHM. All divisions go by three letter acronyms.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 07:50
I thought of suggesting the Odyssey. It's a medium sized, comfortable car. It's priced such that it has the top tier Honda platform meaning it's built to a higher price level. Ten speed automatic with what may be the best version ever of the Honda 6, the current 3.5L. Moderate ride height with good handling. And a cavernous interior which makes a great sound stage for music listening.

The top tier Honda platform concept makes me want to drive an RLX to see if it's truly an Accord Plus like so many complain. I've never sat in one let alone ride in one.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 08:21
All 5 options from same company. Are you open to at least test driving other brands?

If not, go for hybrid MDX. it has all the right powertrain hardware. The only thing I despise is having to use the touch screen for hvac functions.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 08:59
Honda Passport! I just downloaded my iPad copy of Car and Driver and found the Passport beat some pretty heady competition.

Whenever one of our kids needs to buy our car (the ‘13 RDX went to one son, the other one’s car is showing signs. And that parental discount, can’t forget that.), we’d have to consider the Passport right along with the RDX. The Honda would be a step down from our now-minimum-standard luxury we’ve come to enjoy in the RDX, though.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 10:28
CanTeX wrote:
Honda Passport! I just downloaded my iPad copy of Car and Driver and found the Passport beat some pretty heady competition.

Whenever one of our kids needs to buy our car (the ‘13 RDX went to one son, the other one’s car is showing signs. And that parental discount, can’t forget that.), we’d have to consider the Passport right along with the RDX. The Honda would be a step down from our now-minimum-standard luxury we’ve come to enjoy in the RDX, though.

It sounds like your kids have some pretty nice parents!

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 10:54
superchg2 wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

They have their mother’s eyes and learned long ago how to say “Pleeease!” I’m doomed.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 11:19
CanTeX wrote:

Despite the somewhat awkward styling, I was very close to buying a Passport. But then my wife took it on a test drive and I can tell she wasn't comfortable with the bulkiness of it. It's WIDE. The LDW kept beeping at her because she was hugging the right shoulder on the 2 lanes we drove and she was crossing over the white line. She just wasn't comfortable moving more to the left with oncoming traffic. It's WIDE. It drives really well and I prefer the chassis tuning to the Pilot. The 9AT gives me a little bit of pause but my wife doesn't care and she's the one who would be driving it 95% of the time. The kicker for me ultimately was that the load floor is pretty high off the ground. We have 2 dogs, and one of them is going to be 12 years old later this year. He's in great physical condition for his age, but he's a 100lb dog and fairly tall. Getting in wouldn't be much of a problem for him, but climbing down from such a high perch could be painful for him, meaning I'd have to lift him down every time. My wife couldn't manage it. We ended up saving a bunch of money and going with a CR-V for now.

I had a blast offroad with the Passport though. When the next generation model comes along, I'll give it another hard look.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 11:32
JeffX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

Despite the somewhat awkward styling, I was very close to buying a Passport. But then my wife took it on a test drive and I can tell she wasn't comfortable with the bulkiness of it. It's WIDE. The LDW kept beeping at her because she was hugging the right shoulder on the 2 lanes we drove and she was crossing over the white line. She just wasn't comfortable moving more to the left with oncoming traffic. It's WIDE. It drives really well and I prefer the chassis tuning to the Pilot. The 9AT gives me a little bit of pause but my wife doesn't care and she's the one who would be driving it 95% of the time. The kicker for me ultimately was that the load floor is pretty high off the ground. We have 2 dogs, and one of them is going to be 12 years old later this year. He's in great physical condition for his age, but he's a 100lb dog and fairly tall. Getting in wouldn't be much of a problem for him, but climbing down from such a high perch could be painful for him, meaning I'd have to lift him down every time. My wife couldn't manage it. We ended up saving a bunch of money and going with a CR-V for now.

I had a blast offroad with the Passport though. When the next generation model comes along, I'll give it another hard look.

Jeff, good observations. Others have mentioned ride and handling issues. We need a tall car but maybe not that tall. I’m sure it’ll be back to “entry-level luxury” for us next time. Bummer. 😉

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 11:35
CanTeX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

They have their mother’s eyes and learned long ago how to say “Pleeease!” I’m doomed.

My Dad had a 1965 Red Corvette Coupe when I was growing up, and which would have been a nice car for a teenager to drive, but he sold it when he inherited Grandpa's Olds 88.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 11:53
CanTeX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

Jeff, good observations. Others have mentioned ride and handling issues. We need a tall car but maybe not that tall. I’m sure it’ll be back to “entry-level luxury” for us next time. Bummer. 😉

Weather tech has a dog ramp but that’s just one more thing to carry around. One nice thing about the Passport is that it does have a touch screen. I was somewhat unimpressed with the swipe and click system on the RDX we drove.

With all this talk about the Passport there almost needs to be a sub-forum on here.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 13:37
CanTeX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

Weather tech has a dog ramp but that’s just one more thing to carry around. One nice thing about the Passport is that it does have a touch screen. I was somewhat unimpressed with the swipe and click system on the RDX we drove.

With all this talk about the Passport there almost needs to be a sub-forum on here.

Wow, how embarrassing. We launched this forum system a LONG time ago. In the initial launch we had a Passport forum. I just now noticed that it has never been opened up until now, so there is only one message in there at this moment.

Fire away!
https://www.vtec.net/forums/forum?forum_id=84145

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 16:15
silverf16 wrote:
All 5 options from same company. Are you open to at least test driving other brands?

If not, go for hybrid MDX. it has all the right powertrain hardware. The only thing I despise is having to use the touch screen for hvac functions.

(1) No.
(2) I'm used to it.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2019 18:15
JeffX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

My concern with the Passport and Pilot is their price.

I can not justify their price, so much higher than the Ridgeline and RDX. I mean, I can get ELS and a nicer interior and the RDX now has real SH-AWD.

So, at that point, facing the fact that we've had three RDXs in the near past and currently the truck, it sort of like we might jump up to the MDX Sport Hybrid AWD. Which is a NEW thing.

And we do have a history of Honda hybrids, IMA, iMMC and FCEV, so might as well give it a try.

Oh, yeah, the things are wide. My wife thinks the Ridgeline is very wide too but after 40 miles on the freeway she sort of gets used to it. She always thought the Odyssey was fine because the ends of the car fall close to the base of the windows, whereas the Pilot/Ridgeline do extend a little bit past.

The RDX is smaller so it fits better. The MDX too is a bit smaller.

We've had two CRVs. The top of the line CRV AWD is too close in price to the RDX Tech AWD. The latter gives you more power, ELS and, now, much better SH-AWD. Plus a better trimmed interior.

When a top of the line Honda is priced within 10% of an Acura Tech trim you know which way to go.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 14:23
JeffX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

He fits into a CRV?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2019 14:49
longhorn wrote:
JeffX wrote:
CanTeX wrote:

He fits into a CRV?

The CRV's cargo area is more than three feet tall.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Car time again    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2019 12:21
You need a Citroen CX Safari for dawg like that; they can just walk in with the suspension on depressurised setting.

Will he walk up a ramp?

Otherwise, it's another reason for the 'Useless' in SUV...

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0