[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesisís CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Solar Panel Splits Water To Produce Hydrogen

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Solar Panel Splits Water To Produce Hydrogen    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2019 12:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Solar Panel Splits Water To Produce Hydrogen
https://science.slashdot.org/story/19/03/16/0649220/solar-panel-splits-water-to-produce-hydrogen

"A team at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, or KU Leuven, says it has developed a solar panel that converts sunlight directly into hydrogen using moisture in the air. The prototype takes the water vapor and splits it into hydrogen and oxygen molecules. If it scales successfully, the technology could help address a major challenge facing the hydrogen economy. A small but growing number of facilities are producing "green" hydrogen using electrolysis, which splits water molecules using electricity -- ideally from renewable sources such as wind and solar. Other researchers, including the team in Belgium, are developing what's called direct solar water-splitting technologies. These use chemical and biological components to split water directly on the solar panel, forgoing the need for large, expensive electrolysis plants.

KU Leuven sits on a grassy campus in Flanders, the Dutch-speaking northern region of Belgium. Earlier this month, professor Johan Martens and his team at the Center for Surface Chemistry and Catalysis announced their prototype could produce 250 liters of hydrogen per day on average over a full year, which they claim is a world record. A family living in a well-insulated Belgian house could use about 20 of these panels to meet their power and heating needs during an entire year, they predict. The solar panel measures 1.65 meters long -- roughly the height of a kitchen refrigerator, or this reporter -- and has a rated power output of about 210 watts. The system can convert 15 percent of the solar energy it receives into hydrogen, the team says. That's a significant leap from 0.1 percent efficiency they first achieved 10 years ago."

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Solar Panel Splits Water To Produce Hydrogen    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2019 20:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
nightflow wrote:
Solar Panel Splits Water To Produce Hydrogen
https://science.slashdot.org/story/19/03/16/0649220/solar-panel-splits-water-to-produce-hydrogen

"A team at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, or KU Leuven, says it has developed a solar panel that converts sunlight directly into hydrogen using moisture in the air. The prototype takes the water vapor and splits it into hydrogen and oxygen molecules. If it scales successfully, the technology could help address a major challenge facing the hydrogen economy. A small but growing number of facilities are producing "green" hydrogen using electrolysis, which splits water molecules using electricity -- ideally from renewable sources such as wind and solar. Other researchers, including the team in Belgium, are developing what's called direct solar water-splitting technologies. These use chemical and biological components to split water directly on the solar panel, forgoing the need for large, expensive electrolysis plants.

KU Leuven sits on a grassy campus in Flanders, the Dutch-speaking northern region of Belgium. Earlier this month, professor Johan Martens and his team at the Center for Surface Chemistry and Catalysis announced their prototype could produce 250 liters of hydrogen per day on average over a full year, which they claim is a world record. A family living in a well-insulated Belgian house could use about 20 of these panels to meet their power and heating needs during an entire year, they predict. The solar panel measures 1.65 meters long -- roughly the height of a kitchen refrigerator, or this reporter -- and has a rated power output of about 210 watts. The system can convert 15 percent of the solar energy it receives into hydrogen, the team says. That's a significant leap from 0.1 percent efficiency they first achieved 10 years ago."

I don't think that's a lot of hydrogen. Cars use up a lot more energy than houses, that's why the JDM only home adaptor for the Honda FC could power a japanese sized home for almost two weeks with the FCEV.

I've been looking for the energy in a Kg of H2 when run through a Fuel Cell (not burnt as in ICE or a steam generator). Also, need to know the efficiency of the Honda and Toyota fuel cells.

Also, for automotive use, you have to take into account the energy required to compress the H2 to H70.

Here is something:

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/MichelleFung.shtml

So, the claim is that Kg has 33.3 Kw. ( forget the Kwh number, that is a rate, not an absolute energy number... and likely is affected by the tool used to turn the latent energy into electricity)

So, a 5.75 Kg car has ~192 Kw in its tanks.

My house uses, in the winter, 800 Kwh.... 800 kw. So my Clarity could power my American sized home for a week in the winter.

In the summer, with the AC, we use 1200 Kwh... so my car holds about 1/6 of my needs.

Hmm... one fill up is about $92, times 6, it comes out to $552.

The Calizuelans running our grid charge us almost $500 bucks for 1200 kwh.... so, I guess I need to get me one of them JDM power converters and use all that free H2 we get in the lease terms...

In the winter it doesn't pay so much as our electric rate is progressive: the more you use, the more they charge. Until, of course, the day the entire state pulls a Caracas and goes dark... then I'll need my car to keep a couple of lights on and the fridge/freezer going.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0