[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesisís CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Author
  Post New Thread
sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 04:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Great result and a great drive from Max and VB. To get such a result with a chassis far from refined bodes very well indeed.
All four Honda powered cars home too !
Why do I get the feeling that Gasly may have been more aggressive in his fight with Kvyat if he had not had those two big shunts in pre-season testing ....
Biggest surprise of the day, Ferrari and a lacklustre Leclerc. Early days but a great start

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 05:09
Ps I can see Red bull promoting Kvyat back to the top team pretty damned quick if he continues to impress
They wonít tolerate Gasly being too far behind Max
Having said that it was their poor call that cost him a decent grid position so I think they will give him
Time

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 06:20
tom3690 wrote:
Ps I can see Red bull promoting Kvyat back to the top team pretty damned quick if he continues to impress
They wonít tolerate Gasly being too far behind Max
Having said that it was their poor call that cost him a decent grid position so I think they will give him
Time

Yeah, it was mostly the team's fault for him to fail qualifying, but then again he had a poor race.
Being stuck, not wanting to risk an overtaking over a "friendly rival" could be OK, but he also had plenty of time to undercut him during the pit-stops and he failed to do so.

If you compare his performance with VER, he clearly didn't have a great day. That said, it can't certainly come in a single race, but he will need to get closer to his team-mate during the following races; I hope he does.

rnd
Profile for rnd
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 08:31
Horner said at the end of the race, TR are using less downforce and are a top the speed trap. People forget how difficult it is to overtake at the Albert Park circuit. They still have patience for now as Pierre is still young and adjusting the the car.

If Pierre could stay ahead of Kyviat after his pit, he could have gone for the fastest lap being on the softer tire, such was the plan anyway. IMO the TR and the RB should have worked together to get passed Stroll and company to both finish in the points instead of fighting each other.

I agree that Pierre is lacking the confidence with extra pressure on him since the crash in testing. Perhaps also not knowing what to expect from Daniel K. and not risk taking out each other and towards the end he could have also lost the point for his old team Toro Rosso.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 08:58
There was a comment on the Sky broadcast we get about Gasly being struck from behind during the start. Maybe the chassis of his car was tweaked a little but he looked slow when it counted.

I thought the Ferraris just looked like they lacked power much like Hamilton looked compared to Bottas. That's when I figure the problem isn't as obvious as that so I'd bet the Ferraris had more drag than the Red Bulls. Hamilton could pull away from Verstappen a bit on the long straight but Verstappen was faster than the Ferraris everywhere.

No comments yet about the Sainz McLaren? I'd like to see McLaren and Williams do well. Well, not great. I thought Renault claimed they'd have their hybrid system bugs worked out for the start of 2019. I'm almost to the point where I'm not happy when I see smoke from a McLaren.

It always seems like we see the real Hamilton when he's in second place or lower on the grid and I thought that was true here. I thought he was a bit more humble here though which was nice to see and hear. No safety cars so no complaints on the radio. Maybe he just saw his team mate have a career defining drive ahead of him and he had to admit to himself 2nd was his earned position?

I thought it was another strange Melbourne race which may mean Bahrain will be a disappointment. Or it may just be the start of a great season for Honda. Well done, Honda engineers. More power soon, please. :)

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 10:14
Grace141 wrote:
[...]
No comments yet about the Sainz McLaren? I'd like to see McLaren and Williams do well. Well, not great. I thought Renault claimed they'd have their hybrid system bugs worked out for the start of 2019. I'm almost to the point where I'm not happy when I see smoke from a McLaren.
[...]
To me I just feel we've said everything there was to say about them.

Personally, to me they are just a non-story, don't care no more.
Today's race result was the last time they came to my mind, and I didn't feel like there was anything left to add.

Same for Daniel, racing at home ...
It was his career choice though, and it is too easy to make statements now, but I think saying that things didn't start as he would have hoped to might be an understatement.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 12:15
Well there we have it. The questions have been answered and the Red Bull Honda combination is good enough for a podium on debut! What's more is they seemed to be a legitimate challenge for Ferrari on race pace (including on the straights). Fantastic!

Where I and most others went wrong is underestimating Merc. Their new engine clearly is delivering the goods even better than they realized. For the sake of F1 fans everywhere (even honest Mercedes fans) I hope Ferrari and Red Bull can challenge better on other tracks and through development.

As Will Buxton said, BOT 2.0 is a badass. I'd really like to see another constructor's driver take the WDC title but if it's going to be a Merc. driver let's see BOT have a go.

Interesting situation with GAS and KVY. KVY came in 10th robbing the mother team of a point. GAS just couldn't get by. We'll have to watch this story line as the season unfolds if GAS ever ends up with another out-of-sequence start.

Major bummer for RIC at his home race. I would've liked to see a good result from him. There are probably a lot more questions than answers going through his mind right now.

One of the cleanest drives of the race belongs to MAG at Haas who didn't put a foot wrong and brought home 6th place points to the American team. On the other hand their less-than-stellar pit stop record continues at the expense of GRO and a double-points finish for the team.

I've eluded to this opinion before but kept it close to the vest because it's not popular sentiment but I don't think KUB belongs in a F1 car and I don't think he will be in one after the summer break. Some money and a feel good story will only take you so far in this sport.

And we have McLaren... a fiery end to a Renault power unit and no points. I am still happy about it just because it was in contrast to a podium debut from Honda with another team of McLaren's (once) caliber; however, today marks the period at the end of that sentence. The point has now been proven and I do genuinely feel that the sport is better with a strong McLaren on the grid (perhaps with someone other than Zak Brown at the helm).

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 17:26
Gasly needs some slack for now, but we all know how impatient Red Bull heiracy can be....

I'm happy for Botas, because he seems one of those genuinely "nice" guys, but those types don't generally succeed too far in F1. What he needs to improve on is how he bounces back after adversity strikes.

Dany Ric, what can one say........ Beating Hulkenburg was always problematic and running one wheel on the grass is never a good idea but how many times do you see a driver get away with having just one wheel on the grasses edge? Luck plays such a big part in any sport.

But to his credit, Ricciardo has already acknowledged he could have been better prepared this weekend, having spent far too much time "pleasing others" rather than concentrating on his job. The sad part is apparently they retired his car because it had developed a problem! Ouch, then again if you go bunny hopping an F1 car accross the grass...

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 17:32
If Ricciardo's car was retired due to a mechanical issue, not related to trying to fly, that does not bode well. 50% finish rate, hmmm.
fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2019 23:53
Midi_Amp wrote:

I missed the race!

This is all you need to watch (link is 2 min into video).

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 00:34
I'm not sure if Gasly could have done more in the race. Looking at the 2018 Australian GP, Verstappen started in P4, had a spin, and ended in P6, stuck behind Alonso in the all conquering McLaren. Yup, a freaking McLaren in P5. And who's behind Verstappen in P8 in that race? Bottas in the Mercedes after his Q2 crash caused him to start in P10.

Even Verstappen in a RB or Bottas in a MB had a hard time passing people, so I'd definitely give Gasly a bit of time to prove himself.

On the other hand, Verstappen did a fantastic job on that pass against Vettel. Vettel was really struggling out there...haha.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 02:26
Ferrari's lack of pace was puzzling. Was it chassis, aero or PU???
IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 03:16
And yet he had the 5th fastest lap. In fact all 4 Honda cars ended up in the top 10 in fastest laps. MV was 3rd, DK was 6th (on lap 39, same time as PG) and AA ended 10th. Not at all a bad day. The train in front of Gasly really ruined any chance of points, when there are 3 cars in front of you all with DRS open and the car right in front of you with the same power, but less DF to have a slightly higher top speed, it makes it nearly impossible to pass even being quicker on this shitty circuit known as Albert Park.

I'm not sure why Red Bull didn't pit him like 5 laps earlier than they did, he would of came out in front of both Stroll and Kyvat and then could of been putting the pressure right on KR and NH. I kept saying while watching, "pit, ok now pit, what are you doing, you're throwing points away here, pit this lap, AGAIN!!!, PHUCK!!!"

IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 03:19
I didn't mean the same time, meant on the same lap, Kyvat was just under or just over .2seconds slower than Gasly.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 03:54
It seems it's Red Bull's philosophy to hang out to later in the race, ostensibly to gain a tyre condition advantage.
Often [very often in Ricciardo's case it seems to me] to no actual advantage, the number of times I shouted similar directions to the TV in the past couple of years! :)

They don't listen.

zekohonda
Profile for zekohonda
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 03:54
back to work, back to comp that has saved password for this site. :D

extremly happy with the result. max drove (almost) perfect race.
gasly should do better yesterday. he let kvjat overtook him after the pitstops. he did not undercut him properly and lost the battle. ok, it was on cold tyres, but still. i hope that bahrein will be much better, like last year.
respect to kvjat...great race...like he is fighting for rb position. ;)
albon was ok.
difficult trace to overtake. in next few races there won't be problems with overtaking like gio train (ex trulli train) :) .
ferrari had some pu problems, drove in conservative modes. when they sort it out, i am afraid rb will be third fastest team in the race.

no pu honda problems, that's very important.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 04:14
Yes I was wondering if it maybe PU related issues for the Ferrari as they didn't appear to as far up on the speed trap times as usual.
I think RB is probably the 3rd quickest too in normal circumstances but they haven't got a handle on the chassis quite yet too so it is really hard to know.
Next race should allow for far more overtaking and could be quite an exciting race

rnd
Profile for rnd
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 04:50
Bad luck for GAS to end up behind a train of drivers. Many of them on the hard compound tire. Could it be that the strategy was I influenced by the Fastest Lap Point? They would have wanted a fresh set of the softest tire while low on fuel, so a later pit window would have been in effect.

Although, plowing through the grid in typical RB fashion may not be possible on this narrow-ish street circuit, I don't think they will benefit from the large performance gap that existed in previous years to the top three teams. The midfield is now a lot closer.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 05:21
sadlerau wrote:
It seems it's Red Bull's philosophy to hang out to later in the race, ostensibly to gain a tyre condition advantage.
Often [very often in Ricciardo's case it seems to me] to no actual advantage, the number of times I shouted similar directions to the TV in the past couple of years! :)

They don't listen.

I'm wondering if Gasly's pace because he's reserving the engine for next race? At least that's what I suspect from Ricciardo DNF. Yes his bargeboard might have some irreparable damage, but keeping the engine fresh for the next race probably have some merit as well. After all, blusters and psychological warfare is part of the F1 game. Having Ricciardo and Renault win over Verstappen and Redbull probably a better metric for them than outright winning the championship.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 05:49
Midi_Amp wrote:
Having Ricciardo and Renault win over Verstappen and Redbull probably a better metric for them than outright winning the championship.

I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Latest info is Ricciardo's retirement was chassis related, not PU. Meh, we shall see.

I think we're being a bit premature with Gasly, he was given a rotten hand by Red Bull, and his pit call during the race did seem strangely late, just not that strange for Red Bull. Let's see how he goes at the next race where he performed so well last year?

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 08:42
I can understand Gasly playing it conservative after binning the car twice in testing. The STR also appeared to have a low down force configuration which made it harder to pass.

Ferrari had front grip issues. The thought is they are limited in how much front down force they can create with their wing choice. They'll be better at more conventional race tracks.

I read a Japanese article that stated the Honda PU is at the power level of where Mercedes finished last year.

It was nice to see Honda power on the podium, on pure merit.

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 14:07

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 14:29
sennaFAN wrote:
Yes I was wondering if it maybe PU related issues for the Ferrari as they didn't appear to as far up on the speed trap times as usual.

I found a great article on apron BBC.co.uk, purported to be an F1 aerodynamicist.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47527705

The interesting thing is toward the bottom where he indicates that there are two general philosophies for handling the new regulations vis-a-vis the front wing. The two options are Inboard Loading designs (Ferrari, Alpha and a few others) vs. Outboard Loading (Mercedes and Red Bull).

Inboard loading is more novel, and the author speculates that design results in less maximum downforce than Outboard Loading.

the most interesting thing he says is that inboard loading designs might be harder to develop because of the downforce limitations.

... as the teams develop through the season, putting on more and more downforce at the back of the car, Ferrari might struggle to balance it out at the front. If so, that would give them a car hamstrung with understeer which just won't turn into the corners.

... there are already clues that they might be trying to compensate elsewhere for a lack of downforce generated from the front wing.

Another clue is that after the race, there was mention that Ferrari did not have a good understanding of what the tires were going to do and how long they would last. This could also be due to the new Aero configuration.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2019 14:52
Very interesting read and thank you for posting it. It goes some way to explaining why the Ferrari, despite it lack of pace in this race, always looked really planted and predictable ( which can easily be confused with going faster to the naked eye ).
They will almost certainly get on top of it and may well find tracks that suite there aero concept better.
The Mercedes and to a degree the Red Bull both looked much livelier but were obviously generating a lot of grip in the process.
It all adds to the mystery of F1 and the subtleties of the art of chassis and aero

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2019 01:26
So Ferrari's much vaunted front wing concept has a rather big drawback? So Monaco, Singapore and Hungary to name a few would seem to require a different front wing solution?

Ah the maelstrom that is F1. Love it.

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0