[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesisís CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
NealX
Profile for NealX
Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 11:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Would very much enjoy:

Love this view:

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 11:26
I was gonna post a thread about this vid today. But I'll add it here.

I would very VERY much like a product like this in Canada/North America. Veloster N is fine, but this has more practicality for my needs. Either this or the i30 N Hatch would be great. Excellent products I think.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 11:28
KaySee wrote:

I would very VERY much like a product like this in Canada/North America. Veloster N is fine, but this has more practicality for my needs. Either this or the i30 N Hatch would be great. Excellent products I think.

Not sure why the vid is not showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54U7o7WgP7s

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 14:16
KaySee wrote:
KaySee wrote:

Not sure why the vid is not showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54U7o7WgP7s

Here ya go.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 14:29
Thank you sir.
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 14:38
To each his own. It looks like a gray egg on wheels to me.
Cory
Profile for Cory
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 15:19
according2kev wrote:

I'm with you. This thing looks awful.

Profiler
Profile for Profiler
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 15:39
it looks like a "tarted up" Dodge Dart
chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 15:42
Looks good from the front, back, even 3/4 front. The side profile looks bizarre to me. I already hate the GLC/GLE Coupe look. This is just a mini form of that. Also, the C-Class coupe rear...Hyundai uses a lot of MB styling cues here.

Not a bad looking car overall, but Hyundais are starting to look very generic again.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 16:14
LOL for me it's truly what's on the inside that counts. I am a big fan of what Hyundai has done with their N products. There is also the i30 N Hatchback if this one doesn't float your boat.

Either way. Seems to be a really fun FWD platform. I look forward to trying the Veloster N and will continue to pine for a 5 door version to make it to Canada.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 17:18
i30N hatch on dyno and track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTGCkQ1ehTE

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 17:31
Cory wrote:
according2kev wrote:

Perhaps this design is too sophisticated for some? While the car's size may make it look a bit plump (not everyone wants or needs a large car) the overall style and attention to detail leaves anything Honda has done recently, design wise, in the dust!

An example, this i30 has the very popular "nostrils" in the lower front fascia, but unlike Honda's Civic, which has matching stupidity big and useless nostrils in the rear fascia, Hyundai has just the merest hint, a deft line in the rear fascia to give a balance to this cars design.

But you can think it ugly if you wish.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 17:43
sadlerau wrote:
Cory wrote:
according2kev wrote:

Perhaps this design is too sophisticated for some? While the car's size may make it look a bit plump (not everyone wants or needs a large car) the overall style and attention to detail leaves anything Honda has done recently, design wise, in the dust!

An example, this i30 has the very popular "nostrils" in the lower front fascia, but unlike Honda's Civic, which has matching stupidity big and useless nostrils in the rear fascia, Hyundai has just the merest hint, a deft line in the rear fascia to give a balance to this cars design.

The color might not be doing it justice, but this thing certainly evokes a more "timeless" styling vibe vs. flash in the pan stuff - something I've always lauded Honda for (with certain notable exceptions).

Love the rear end and rear 3/4 views too. I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a Hyundai just yet, but they've come a long way and don't seem to be slowing down.

SC

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 18:47
sadlerau wrote:
Cory wrote:
according2kev wrote:

Nah, I don't think it's that sophisticated but I do like the taillight design. It's interesting that the last few times I've given a critique of Hyundai, someone has brought up Honda as if I've defended them. Aside from the HRV, CRV, and RL, I actually find most of the current Honda lineup to be overwrought and weird.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2018 20:50
notyper wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
Cory wrote:
according2kev wrote:

The color might not be doing it justice, but this thing certainly evokes a more "timeless" styling vibe vs. flash in the pan stuff - something I've always lauded Honda for (with certain notable exceptions).

Love the rear end and rear 3/4 views too. I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a Hyundai just yet, but they've come a long way and don't seem to be slowing down.

SC

Have you had a chance to tune any of the latest Hyundaiís? Curious to know how their latest powertains fare in terms durability and withstanding mods.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2018 00:45
honduh wrote:
Have you had a chance to tune any of the latest Hyundaiís? Curious to know how their latest powertains fare in terms durability and withstanding mods.

No, but I just spent a lot of $$$ that will allow me to tune virtually any modern OBD2 car. I was more focused on Ferraris and McLarens, but it will support a lot of the Hyundai stuff too.

In particular the new twin turbo V6s look promising. Base maps before custom tuning are supposed to generate another 60 hp and 80 lbs-ft with no mods.

SC

Last edited by notyper on 09-27-2018 00:47
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2018 01:30
I'd probably fall into the more conventional hatchback buyer group, but IMO this is an attention getting car and in a GOOD way.

The only thing I can't warm to with the latest crop of turbo performance cars (applies to everything from the i30 to the BMW's) is this stupid popping exhaust trend. OK, I get that the engines don't have a lot of character compared to a high winding NA engine and a LITTLE crackle is sort of cool, but to hear a $100+K M5 or 340i, or this pop endlessly every time you let off the gas is as stupid as fart cans IMO.

Hopefully, that could be tuned out of the car because it would drive me crazy.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2018 07:49
notyper wrote:
honduh wrote:

No, but I just spent a lot of $$$ that will allow me to tune virtually any modern OBD2 car. I was more focused on Ferraris and McLarens, but it will support a lot of the Hyundai stuff too.

In particular the new twin turbo V6s look promising. Base maps before custom tuning are supposed to generate another 60 hp and 80 lbs-ft with no mods.

SC

Wow. Well donít I feel like I just asked you about cold cuts, when youíre cooking with Wagyu beef. Your outfit sounds sweet.

By the way, I enjoy the balanced perspectives you bring in performance discussions across brands. Itís refreshingly no b.s.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2018 08:25
It's not a bad-looking ride. I like what they did with the tail lights.
KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2018 09:26
owequitit wrote:
I'd probably fall into the more conventional hatchback buyer group, but IMO this is an attention getting car and in a GOOD way.

The only thing I can't warm to with the latest crop of turbo performance cars (applies to everything from the i30 to the BMW's) is this stupid popping exhaust trend. OK, I get that the engines don't have a lot of character compared to a high winding NA engine and a LITTLE crackle is sort of cool, but to hear a $100+K M5 or 340i, or this pop endlessly every time you let off the gas is as stupid as fart cans IMO.

From what I've seen so far all of the N cars have multiple exhaust modes. So there is a normal mode you can switch it too which doesn't have all the pops but keeps a nice tone to it. I think the exhaust has at least three exhaust systems it can switch between for different tastes.

It's fully customizable so you can have the toned down exhaust with whatever suspension, throttle, TC aggressiveness you want.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2018 09:38
I meant exhaust "settings" not systems. Also, I'll add that I like how Hyundai does their drive modes with giving the user the option to mix and match settings to their liking. The modes in the Si and Type R are great to have but it would be nice if you could go beyond factory settings for certain things. Like comfort suspension with more aggressive throttle for example. A lot of companies already let you do this so maybe for the next run Honda will put that in.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2018 10:01
KaySee wrote:
I meant exhaust "settings" not systems. Also, I'll add that I like how Hyundai does their drive modes with giving the user the option to mix and match settings to their liking. The modes in the Si and Type R are great to have but it would be nice if you could go beyond factory settings for certain things. Like comfort suspension with more aggressive throttle for example. A lot of companies already let you do this so maybe for the next run Honda will put that in.

I agree - it would be nice if you could dive into the menu and create a "custom" preference. For now you can sort of achieve that with a Hondata reflash. With the flashpro you can dial up the throttle response however you want in any of the 3 modes on the Type R. Of course, it's set once you flash it, so you'll have to reflash it again if you decide you want something different.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2018 01:04
KaySee wrote:
owequitit wrote:

From what I've seen so far all of the N cars have multiple exhaust modes. So there is a normal mode you can switch it too which doesn't have all the pops but keeps a nice tone to it. I think the exhaust has at least three exhaust systems it can switch between for different tastes.

It's fully customizable so you can have the toned down exhaust with whatever suspension, throttle, TC aggressiveness you want.

Yeah, but what if I want the higher noise level without the stupid popping?

Like I said, hopefully it can be tuned out because it is dumb at the level they are going to now. My 2009 Si used to do it a little bit if I let off above a certain RPM, but it was like 3 quiet pops related to pressure change. These are just dumb and obnoxious. If I go on a fun mountain ride, I want to HEAR the exhaust, but not with lame sound effects.

They took the NA tendency to crackle a little bit on overrun and turned it up to 13. LOL.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2018 07:19
owequitit wrote:
KaySee wrote:
owequitit wrote:

Yeah, but what if I want the higher noise level without the stupid popping?

Like I said, hopefully it can be tuned out because it is dumb at the level they are going to now. My 2009 Si used to do it a little bit if I let off above a certain RPM, but it was like 3 quiet pops related to pressure change. These are just dumb and obnoxious. If I go on a fun mountain ride, I want to HEAR the exhaust, but not with lame sound effects.

They took the NA tendency to crackle a little bit on overrun and turned it up to 13. LOL.

That's the Sport mode, at least according to the videos I've seen. Same exhaust tone/volume but the ignition timing and other parameters are changed so there's no popping. All that from factory! Very thoughtful of them.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2018 15:01
I actually don't mind the pops but that is because I've heard them in passing and I haven't had the experience of living with them. If I ever got an N car it might end up being too obnoxious to me as well.

Some cars like the Focus ST and GTI have some sound piped in through various means. I don't mind it from these cars but some people might not like it. For the Focus I think you have to disconnect the sound symposer and the VW I think you need to have an ECU module software to disconnect the soundaktor or it can be done physically as well. This is just to reiterate that I think Hyundai did a decent job with their system to allow factors like exhaust sound to be tailored to the user without the need of external tunes at such a reasonable price range. Hopefully other brands with similar products take notice.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-29-2018 00:31
KaySee wrote:
I actually don't mind the pops but that is because I've heard them in passing and I haven't had the experience of living with them. If I ever got an N car it might end up being too obnoxious to me as well.

Some cars like the Focus ST and GTI have some sound piped in through various means. I don't mind it from these cars but some people might not like it. For the Focus I think you have to disconnect the sound symposer and the VW I think you need to have an ECU module software to disconnect the soundaktor or it can be done physically as well. This is just to reiterate that I think Hyundai did a decent job with their system to allow factors like exhaust sound to be tailored to the user without the need of external tunes at such a reasonable price range. Hopefully other brands with similar products take notice.

I heard an F30 M3 with aftermarket exhaust and an E92 M3 with aftermarket exhaust literally right next to each other today. The endless banging pops of the F30 were sort of annoying. The E92 sounded magnificent. Other than the popping, the F30 sounded really good (which was surprising, because they normally sound like garbage with exhaust).

That said, as long as Hyundai provides a means to get the sound and not the popping, I would be OK with it, and yes, it is nice that they at least give the driver the option to mix and match their settings. A very "high end" feature, IMO, which will make the car that much more desirable to the enthusiast crowd. Between the N cars and the Genesis cars, Hyundai might just be the new Honda in a lot of ways.

I was pretty stunned to see how well the stock Stinger (G70) makes power and I am excited to see what these latest Hyundai 4 bangers do.

rcon
Profile for rcon
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-30-2018 20:41
The only thing it needs is a hatch. It'd be nice if Honda would do away with the Civic coupe, and make a CRX like fastback 3-door instead.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2019 14:55
Looks like the Tucson is getting the "N" treatment next:

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2019 15:22
sadlerau wrote:

Too sophisticated? Not to me, I think it looks like a sported up Yaris.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2019 21:47
KaySee wrote:
LOL for me it's truly what's on the inside that counts. I am a big fan of what Hyundai has done with their N products. There is also the i30 N Hatchback if this one doesn't float your boat.

Either way. Seems to be a really fun FWD platform. I look forward to trying the Veloster N and will continue to pine for a 5 door version to make it to Canada.

You mean like the terrible seats and the Playschool plastics used on the dash and switch gear? ?

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0