[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesisís CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Type R > > Re: DC-R

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Author
  Post New Thread
The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2019 21:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I found CTR where I can get it within msrp...

But before I pull the trigger... I want to know if the transmission grind issue (1-2 shift or 2-1 shift) is really widespread. They say this grind randomly occurs but to me thatís one too many.

s2ktaxi
Profile for s2ktaxi
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2019 11:24
The Legend wrote:
I found CTR where I can get it within msrp...

But before I pull the trigger... I want to know if the transmission grind issue (1-2 shift or 2-1 shift) is really widespread. They say this grind randomly occurs but to me thatís one too many.

There are many factors that cause the grind...
- there's a slave valve that slows down the clutch motion that can cause shift timing issues which could then result in synchro issues. Many say they have many decades of driving manual transmissions but this makes it worse if they are not used to the delayed clutch action caused by the slave valve. when done enough times, this can cause enough wear with the synchros/gears where the grind is then caused by a permanent issue.
- some people skip gears on upshifts which can put a lot of stress on synchros if they don't double-clutch or at least wait a moment for the shift. when done enough times, this can cause enough wear with the synchros/gears where the grind is then caused by a permanent issue.
- transmission fluid also needs to warm up like engine oil. fast shifts when cold, done enough times can cause the same wear with the synchros/gears where the grind is then caused by a permanent issue
- less common is the situation where the clutch fluid boils because of heat an effectively causes a similar problem as with the delay valve and a clutch that's not full disengaged when shifting (this happened to me in a different car 20 years ago on the track). I've not seen/heard it on a CTR.

without taking the transmission apart, it's hard to say if there's a permanent problem with any given car.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2019 15:33
I experienced the 1st to 2nd gear grind several times in the first few months of ownership. However, in the past year, I haven't had any grind. Not sure if it's because i changed my shifting style without even knowing it lol.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2019 07:01
S2000s do that, too.

The AP2s had a triple-synchro ring on 2nd to alleviate it.

You just have to remember to pause longer in neutral 1-2.

A lot of people just 'jam' the lever from one gear slot to the next. That is bad technique, not a bad gearbox. Momentum is a law of Physics.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2019 12:20
I have only had the grind from 1-2 a few times when I was really shifting aggressively, and usually when I had traction break before the shift. This is also the same grind I have had in pretty much every Honda when I shift that way. Other than that, no issues and certainly no grind in any other scenario, essentially making it my own fault.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0