[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesis’s CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3] 4
Author
  Post New Thread
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2019 15:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nick GravesX wrote:
Of course, Ms Christensen's NSX doesn't need it and so she employed a far prettier solution.

Hadn't heard she left - now Senior Exterior Design Manager at Faraday Future.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2019 16:17
NealX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
Of course, Ms Christensen's NSX doesn't need it and so she employed a far prettier solution.

Yup, I looked it up myself a few weeks ago when her name came up in a thread.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 10:57
Mikeydred wrote:
NealX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

I think I read it in Autonews or somewhere.

Perhaps it tells us all we need to know...

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 12:22
Nick GravesX wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
NealX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

I think I read it in Autonews or somewhere.

Perhaps it tells us all we need to know...

I don't get this narrative that she "designed the NSX" when I understood that she did the final exterior refinements.

I do get that the former looks better and more "inclusive" but am I mistaken?

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 12:40

Was this designed in Japan or US ? I always assumed Japan, but might be wrong ?

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 12:41
It’s not that hard to see significant changes from the original 2012 Concept and the finished product.

My understanding is that the car was lengthened because of the switch with engine orientation and that changed airflow considerations...

I mean - I get it - she DIDN’T design the original concept. But she did lead final design with what ended up being a much different vehicle given the changes.

I’ll put it this way: if Marek had led final exterior design and we hated it we’d for damn sure give him full credit for the design.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 13:31
You missed a step:

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 13:41
NSX exterior design was fashion to Detroit Muscle Cars from Japan and she was picked to finish it because of her background (grew up with muscle cars) and being a female (political).
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 14:51
Yes indeed - at the time, she was very much being hailed by Acura as their new Design Heroine for doing the air vents. And bits of the ZDX (shoes or something IIRC?).

Then she duly fucked off to Faraday and it all fell silent.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 15:08
What's more likely to be political? The continued employment (and fellating articles) of people who oversaw any number of design fuckups at Acura that lead to a decade of mediocre sales and memes, or the employment of a designer in a single North American vehicle design role who happened to be female? Let's be real here, it doesn't seem that having a dick makes any sort of difference.

NealX wrote:
smArt wrote:
You see, from the headlights to the grille, to the body lines, you can see Acura has a very strong design language, love it or hate it. The Mazda, while attractive, does not read as strongly as the Acura.

You see, however, that Mazda do have an attractive, workable language that right now, that expresses itself very well across ALL of their current lineup.

And not considered a Tier 1 luxury brand.

"Had". The new Mazda 3 hatchback completely destroys any usability that was present in the old car (which had more space, visibility, and an actual rear suspension along with a 'strong design' element, the weakest point of that design being the insane front overhang). The Mazda 3 hatchback seems to demonstrate Mazda's tendency to over exaggerate and jump the shark on a good design every other generation.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 15:08
Nick GravesX wrote:
Yes indeed - at the time, she was very much being hailed by Acura as their new Design Heroine for doing the air vents. And bits of the ZDX (shoes or something IIRC?).

Then she duly fucked off to Faraday and it all fell silent.

Well dang, I had no idea she left Acura...lol.
Now, if only Marek could pull such a disappearing act. I fear he may be too deeply rooted in the company now though.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 16:17
CarPhreakD wrote:
What's more likely to be political? The continued employment (and fellating articles) of people who oversaw any number of design fuckups at Acura that lead to a decade of mediocre sales and memes, or the employment of a designer in a single North American vehicle design role who happened to be female? Let's be real here, it doesn't seem that having a dick makes any sort of difference.

NealX wrote:
smArt wrote:
You see, from the headlights to the grille, to the body lines, you can see Acura has a very strong design language, love it or hate it. The Mazda, while attractive, does not read as strongly as the Acura.

You see, however, that Mazda do have an attractive, workable language that right now, that expresses itself very well across ALL of their current lineup.

And not considered a Tier 1 luxury brand.

"Had". The new Mazda 3 hatchback completely destroys any usability that was present in the old car (which had more space, visibility, and an actual rear suspension along with a 'strong design' element, the weakest point of that design being the insane front overhang). The Mazda 3 hatchback seems to demonstrate Mazda's tendency to over exaggerate and jump the shark on a good design every other generation.

No one is saying anything about gender anatomy, here. I think you know that...

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2019 17:13
You obviously missed rolled's comment, though to be fair, I have no idea what he's saying half the time.
honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2019 13:12
Saw the new Mazda 3 hatch on the road in a “Dolphin Gray”-like color. The rear is evokes a Alfa Brera. Looks good.
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2019 16:23
NealX wrote:
You missed a step:

There was actually a previous step, the Avengers convertible Acura NSX which basically spurred the whole thing/design. Whoever designed that is more or less the person who first designed the NSX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1zBZKlqtzs

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2019 19:40
The Stark roadster came after the prototype reveal.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2019 20:43
No I think it was before, I recall that was what sparked the rumors about the return of the NSX. I remember Andrews post that basically said after Ito seen the reaction from the media he had no choice but to greenlight the project.
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2019 21:19
DCR wrote:

You are right even though I totally don't remember it being that way.

I remember seeing the NSX/Stark convertible first in "The Avengers" and it caused a bunch of people to talk about the new NSX but the dates line up with the concept coming out first.

Avengers came out in early May of 2012 but the Detroit auto show came out in Jan 2012 where the NSX concept was shown so the concept would have been shown first, that is so weird because I could have swore I saw the design in The Avengers first.

Maybe it was because Honda was not fully confirming the mid engine NSX was going to be built and then seeing it in the movie and seeing it moving and more people talking about it basically confirmed it or gave it a lot more credibility they would be building it.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2019 21:49

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2019 22:50
If I remember correctly [and at this stage of life I probably don't], there were some photos and videos of "behind the scenes" released long before the movie came out? I think these pre-date the Motor Show. Regardless, they choped up a MkI to make the movie car, and obviously it was designed with the MkII in mind.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 05:25
Looks a bit 981-Boxster-like now, doesn't it?

Hmmm....

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 10:51
Nick GravesX wrote:

Hmmm....

Without the brand cachet, for those concerned about the badge on the car.

When I take our MDX in for service and sit in the waiting area of the dealership, I usally pick a table next to the showroom so I can discreetly stare at the new NSX which is usually placed nearby. The grille and tailamps of the car are a letdown for the price range otherwise it's a wonderfully styled car and smaller when viewed in person, like the original NSX. It does have that obsolete sense of blandness about it though like a McLaren F1 does today.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 11:54
Grace141 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Hmmm....

When I take our MDX in for service and sit in the waiting area of the dealership, I usally pick a table next to the showroom so I can discreetly stare at the new NSX which is usually placed nearby. The grille and tailamps of the car are a letdown for the price range otherwise it's a wonderfully styled car and smaller when viewed in person, like the original NSX. It does have that obsolete sense of blandness about it though like a McLaren F1 does today.

The F1 was one of the most advanced road cars ever built and I'm not sure that obsolete is an appropriate term for it.
And bringing over $15,000,000 at auction.
https://autoweek.com/article/auctions/mclaren-f1-brings-1562-million-bonhams-quail-lodge-auction-limit

"Brilliance takes time. It took four years to meticulously plan, design and build the all-conquering F1. Beautifully engineered and exceptionally quick, the F1 broke numerous world records during the ‘90s, and it remains the fastest naturally aspirated road car ever built. Only 106 cars were made in a limited production run, making the F1 one of the most exclusive cars in the world today."

https://cars.mclaren.com/F1-the-story

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 12:13
Grace141 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Hmmm....

You are the only person I have ever heard that thinks the NSX looks bland/obsolete. Sounds like you just don't like exotics and look for reasons to attack them. Do you think your MDX is attractive?

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 13:14
lexusgs wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Hmmm....

You are the only person I have ever heard that thinks the NSX looks bland/obsolete. Sounds like you just don't like exotics and look for reasons to attack them. Do you think your MDX is attractive?

Good call. Anyone who considers the F1 “obsolete” should get their head examined.

There is no greater icon for “supercar.”

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 13:22
lexusgs wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Hmmm....

NSX bland no, but I do agree the rear end needs some work, doesnt scream exoctic. I actually think the MDX is classy with its soft lines that seems to project at the rear. I am seeing a lot of shiny 14-16 lately with the hidden exhaust and even those look premium.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 13:24
NealX wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Hmmm....

Good call. Anyone who considers the F1 “obsolete” should get their head examined.

There is no greater icon for “supercar.”

and the orignal NSX was a benchmark for the F1 in many ways 😀

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 13:31
lexusgs wrote:
DCR wrote:

You are right even though I totally don't remember it being that way.

I remember seeing the NSX/Stark convertible first in "The Avengers" and it caused a bunch of people to talk about the new NSX but the dates line up with the concept coming out first.

Avengers came out in early May of 2012 but the Detroit auto show came out in Jan 2012 where the NSX concept was shown so the concept would have been shown first, that is so weird because I could have swore I saw the design in The Avengers first.

Maybe it was because Honda was not fully confirming the mid engine NSX was going to be built and then seeing it in the movie and seeing it moving and more people talking about it basically confirmed it or gave it a lot more credibility they would be building it.

The stark car showed up at a premiere for Avengers with RDJ and Acura had not commited to the NSX at the time, we had a long discussion about it on TOV, damn cant believe that was 7 years ago, but yes official concept was at Detroit 2012 and then the revised with the long engine was 2013 I believe.

nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 19:20
https://carbuzz.com/news/iron-man-opts-for-acura-instead-of-audi-in-the-avengers

The Stark roadster was reported Sept 5, 2011.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 19:48
nightflow wrote:
https://carbuzz.com/news/iron-man-opts-for-acura-instead-of-audi-in-the-avengers

The Stark roadster was reported Sept 5, 2011.

Yes, I remeber it being in the fall and thats the shot I was referring to with RDJ.

Thread Page - 1 2 [3] 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0