[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesisís CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4]
Author
  Post New Thread
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2019 22:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
nightflow wrote:
https://carbuzz.com/news/iron-man-opts-for-acura-instead-of-audi-in-the-avengers

The Stark roadster was reported Sept 5, 2011.

Shoot, the old brain cells are still firing, occasionally. :)

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 09:43
Minami was promoted in Sept 2011:

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012/06/acura-went-overboard-says-new-design-chief/

Someone drew it before it became a prototype, and it was him, likely before he was even promoted. Chicken or the egg.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 10:25
And "Beak" origin from 2005:

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 10:36
NealX wrote:
And "Beak" origin from 2005:

The beak did not look so bad when it had the chrome detailing on the bottom like in that concept, what really made it look bad was the empty space under the Acura badge. The shield grill on the 2nd Gen MDX was pretty nice looking, if they integrated that grill into cars it would have been a lot better then the beak.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 11:57
2005 - Christ, I'm old...
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 17:27
Nick GravesX wrote:

Yes, we are.

But of course, I also recall when The Ultimate Driving Machine was an Isetta.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 18:26
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Yes, we are.

Maybe you should have your head examined. It's what all the young Turks are recommending these days. ;)

You're getting older if you know what connects The Ultimate Driving Machine to the Ford Granada to the Pontiac Solstice.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 23:10
Grace141 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Yes, we are.

Maybe you should have your head examined. It's what all the young Turks are recommending these days. ;)

You're getting older if you know what connects The Ultimate Driving Machine to the Ford Granada to the Pontiac Solstice.

Let me guess, the Brits bought a Bimmer engine for the English Fords.

But they got their current Royals from Germany too... so nothing really changed, eh?

ciwai08
Profile for ciwai08
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 01:27
Bob Lutz?
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 07:20
ciwai08 wrote:
Bob Lutz?

Yes indeed, Maximum Bob! As in a car guy having a good understanding of good taste in car design, a solid foundation in auto business common sense, and the willingness and authority to focus his employees on a consistent vision for the product. Someone Honda hasn't had since Old Man Honda passed away. The story of Lutz visiting the design studio on his first day back at GM for his last gig and canceling the tarted-up Buick concept having the Aztek body cladding is the stuff of legend.

The talk in another thread here about the new Sonata and my thoughts that it looks like a Chinese copy of a Ford Fusion prompted me to go back to look at the Granada Scorpio which is my #1 Ford sedan design of all time just ahead of our current Mondeo/Fusion. It was a shame the Scorpio failed in the US because I thought it made our Taurus/Sable look like the horrible blob of a car it was.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 08:13
Interesting, I appreciated the Merkur Scorpio. I was thinking about it the other day thinking about some parallels between the fate of the Mercury brand and rumors on Acura in the dealership sales force talk.

They never did make that Grand Marquis de Sade edition. Could have been a real stimulating Q-ship.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 08:57
honduh wrote:
Interesting, I appreciated the Merkur Scorpio. I was thinking about it the other day thinking about some parallels between the fate of the Mercury brand and rumors on Acura in the dealership sales force talk.

They never did make that Grand Marquis de Sade edition. Could have been a real stimulating Q-ship.

Yes, the XR4Ti was pretty slick, though I love anything having a bi-wing spoiler...

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 11:04
Grace141 wrote:
ciwai08 wrote:
Bob Lutz?

Yes indeed, Maximum Bob! As in a car guy having a good understanding of good taste in car design, a solid foundation in auto business common sense, and the willingness and authority to focus his employees on a consistent vision for the product. Someone Honda hasn't had since Old Man Honda passed away. The story of Lutz visiting the design studio on his first day back at GM for his last gig and canceling the tarted-up Buick concept having the Aztek body cladding is the stuff of legend.

The talk in another thread here about the new Sonata and my thoughts that it looks like a Chinese copy of a Ford Fusion prompted me to go back to look at the Granada Scorpio which is my #1 Ford sedan design of all time just ahead of our current Mondeo/Fusion. It was a shame the Scorpio failed in the US because I thought it made our Taurus/Sable look like the horrible blob of a car it was.

I was about to say Bob Lutz but I don't think he had anything major to do with the Ford Granada.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 12:50
NealX wrote:
honduh wrote:

Yes, the XR4Ti was pretty slick, though I love anything having a bi-wing spoiler...

That's the Sierra which was the RWD platform sport-luxury car which practically no one in the US bought. The Granada/Scorpio was the more upscale RWD platform sport-luxury car which was sold as the Merkur Scorpio in the US and practically no one bought. It's fascinating that the Acura Legend, the Merkur Scorpio, and the Rover/Sterling 825 series were launched within the same time frame in the mid-'80s. Honda's new car was a hit because it was the Honda of entry-luxury sedans while the Rover car had the misfortune of being made by Rover and the kind of buyers Ford sought with the Scorpio would never step into a Lincoln-Mercury dealership.

During the span of a few months in 1988, I drove an '87 XR4Ti, an '84 1/2 Mustang Anniversary 3dr with the 2.3L Turbo/5spd manual, and an '83 280ZX Turbo 2+2. Similar cars when you boiled it down with the XR4Ti actually having doo-wop-do floaty rear suspension damping similar to that of the Z-car. I wanted to like the Z-car but didn't, the Merkur was already a dead end, and I chickened out on buying the Mustang due to people at the time saying Ford's turbos had a 30k mile lifespan. Bah humbug. The Ford dealer couldn't give the XR4Ti away. I think they offered it to me for $7500 with a year and about 15K miles on the clock.

saitamahonda
Profile for saitamahonda
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 19:14
This article is pretty misleading.

Honda Japan design has always been cleaner and sophisticated compared to the American Honda/Acura design team.

Honda does not suffer corporate design issues, it suffers from amateur designers getting assigned to core models.

Honda Japan and Honda China concept cars have ALWAYS looked better. Just like the original Honda Japan designed 2nd Gen NSX before it was altered by the Acura team.

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 19:39
saitamahonda wrote:

Honda Japan design has always been cleaner and sophisticated compared to the American Honda/Acura design team.

Honda does not suffer corporate design issues, it suffers from amateur designers getting assigned to core models.

Honda Japan and Honda China concept cars have ALWAYS looked better. Just like the original Honda Japan designed 2nd Gen NSX before it was altered by the Acura team.

I disagree:

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 20:22
saitamahonda wrote:

The final NSX V2 looks better than the concept IMO, the larger rear vents and increase lenght really sharpened up the design.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 20:42
^Where did you see that itís longer?
MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 21:10
NealX wrote:

They switched the engine position from transverse to longitudinal during development, the rear axle had to be pushed backward to make room for the new engine.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 22:15
NealX wrote:

Come on Neal, you are suppose to be paying attention to these things! I pay attention to everything, even so the original concept that I seen in person NY 2012 was tiny, dont even think it had an interior at the time...

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 22:16
NealX wrote:

Come on Neal, you are suppose catch these details! I pay attention to everything, even so the original concept that I seen in person NY 2012 was tiny, dont even think it had an interior at the time...

HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2019 01:22
I love the new design..The precision concept is sexy! nice job Ikeda and team! My fear is the forthcoming recession, if it comes, will derail this turnaround..I sure hope not!
Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2019 18:24
NealX wrote:
honduh wrote:

That's the car that made me fall in love with cars as a kid.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0