[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesis’s CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Odyssey > > Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Profile for A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 00:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My wife is getting an Odyssey and prefers the G3 body (‘05-‘10). Any concerns about VCM models? Does it matter?
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 00:48
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:
My wife is getting an Odyssey and prefers the G3 body (‘05-‘10). Any concerns about VCM models? Does it matter?

I have 200k on my 06 EX-L. No VCM issues with mine.

Gets about 18 mpg mixed city/highway. About 22-23 open road.

Maxtierney
Profile for Maxtierney
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 01:11
I have 280k+ miles on my 06 Touring with VCM. No issues except for some random cylinder misfires that were fixed by the dealer with new plugs and valve adjustments. If VCM concerns you, just install a muzzler or buy non-vcm models.
ldvknight
Profile for ldvknight
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 02:03
We brought our 2005 with 92k on it. Now it has about 140k, still no issues with VCM or anything else. Only problem we ever had was mouse chewing the knock sensor wires in the vee of the V6. We did test drive 3 different vans. Most shocking thing to me was how different each vans brakes felt. Some felt terrifyingly weak. Ours felt strong.
Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 03:04
https://www.svcmcontroller.com/
trexdoc
Profile for trexdoc
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 06:23
we had a '07 Odyssey EX-L bought new - died at about 160K
sunk a LOT of money into it after 100K
weird engine/transmissions vibrations at certain speeds that I attribute to the VCM integration
I will NEVER buy another Honda with a timing belt/VCM
the '05-'10 Odyssey body style is the best - has the most interior volume and adequate ground clearance
the new generation Odyssey is AWFUL - less interior room, very low to the ground, terrible HVAC system (no ceiling vents anymore and no rear A/C unit)
I now have a '15 Sienna with a timing chain/no VCM - no unusual vibrations

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 12:17
ldvknight wrote:
We brought our 2005 with 92k on it. Now it has about 140k, still no issues with VCM or anything else. Only problem we ever had was mouse chewing the knock sensor wires in the vee of the V6. We did test drive 3 different vans. Most shocking thing to me was how different each vans brakes felt. Some felt terrifyingly weak. Ours felt strong.

Had this happen too. Took me a few hours but I was able to "thread the needle" and get the knock sensor and wire changed myself.

I know it was a mouse or rat too as they decided to jettison their digestive cargo on the engine cover before going in for a wire snack.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 12:25
trexdoc wrote:
we had a '07 Odyssey EX-L bought new - died at about 160K
sunk a LOT of money into it after 100K
weird engine/transmissions vibrations at certain speeds that I attribute to the VCM integration
I will NEVER buy another Honda with a timing belt/VCM
the '05-'10 Odyssey body style is the best - has the most interior volume and adequate ground clearance
the new generation Odyssey is AWFUL - less interior room, very low to the ground, terrible HVAC system (no ceiling vents anymore and no rear A/C unit)
I now have a '15 Sienna with a timing chain/no VCM - no unusual vibrations

Surely you would agree that with the gazillion J-series engines on the road, your experience of having an engine only go 160k was an anomaly? No?

Timing chains go bad too.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 12:55
230k on our 05 Touring and she drives better most new cars. I find the interior far superior to the latest generations; this one feels like an Acura should. Leather everywhere, very good attention to detail even on the rear seating areas.

VCMuzzler is a must. I replaced all the torn engine mounts then installed it. Makes the driving experience sooooo much more pleasant.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2019 21:01
Had a 2012 and loved it up to the point it had 112k and just about left me and my family on the side of the road out of town due to the piston issue. Needless to say I dumped it the same day it went to the shop. This was 7k miles after dumping quite a bit of money in it for timing belt etc... The first Honda I have ever owned to do this. Disappointed to say the least. As far as the '05-'10 I can say that my father drove one for 167k miles with zero issues. Just regular maintenance.

A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Profile for A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2019 17:14
Thanks for all the insight. Much appreciated!

We're just waiting now for the right one to come up for sale here in PDX metro (Portland, Oregon). Looks like $9-$12k for a nice one (under 80k miles) -- a couple grand less from private party.

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2019 18:31
We have a 2005 EX-L with 190k miles.

Don't really have VCM issues perse, but the engine mounts do crap out fast and are very expensive. I ended up installing an "S-VCM" and then swapped out the dead mounts to OEM non-VCM mounts.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0