[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
More.......................
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
More.......................
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
More.......................
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesisís CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 00:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
That is a big rumor from Japan.

Is this the beginning of the end of Acura?

Replaced by a new sub-brand?
EV(e)and Sports (Type-S and R) brands but sold by Honda dealers?

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 01:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Why should Acura pulling out of China mean the end of the Acura brand? Why is Honda so hung up on China that they kill sports cars and maybe an entire brand because they don't work in China?

Acura did not sell in China for 2 decades, they entered the Chinese market in 2006 and never had much success there, Lexus does not have much success in China or Europe either. Lexus, Infiniti, Acura are US brands first and foremost, that is what they were created for.

Would Honda really throw in the towel from Acura because it is not working out in China where they have only been in the market for a little over a decade compared to over 3 decades in the US? They must be dumber and more stubborn then anyone thought. Who cares about China? Honda/Acura never needed China for decades but suddenly now China dictates everything they do and don't do especially considering both countries are adversaries.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 01:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
China has replaced USA as number 1 market in the World(that is all that matters) Acura has always been a USA brand, rest of the world hates the name and it's Star trek symbol on the hood.


Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 02:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RolledaNsx wrote:
China has replaced USA as number 1 market in the World(that is all that matters) Acura has always been a USA brand, rest of the world hates the name and it's Star trek symbol on the hood.




It made me laugh when the very Japanese gen-1 NSX and ITR were considered "American" cars in Gran Turismo because Acura was purportedly an American brand.

I can't see Honda discontinuing Acura altogether at least in the United States because of dealer franchise laws. However, I remember Acura doing well in Hong Kong back in the 1990's, the only other market outside North America where it was sold. Though it might have just been on the strength of the NSX and Legend alone.

Honda used to import the CA Accord Coupe LHD from Ohio to Japan and the TL as the Inspire/Saber. What the hell is stopping them from doing this again?! As an HMC shareholder, I'm kinda pissed off that they aren't exporting Acuras to Europe (it's so bad there it can't hurt) or Japan (where Honda's lineup looks like a premium version of Suzuki's with the odd Accord and Legend). Why all this money just to keep these cars in North America? If the Acura name is flailing in China, either stick an "H" on the TLX, MDX or RDX. Or double down on the American aspect of the brand and put the American engineers at Acura in the ads.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 02:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What you write makes such good sense Power of Dreams, a commodity Honda's leaders often seem to lack!
MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 16:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Power Of Dreams wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
China has replaced USA as number 1 market in the World(that is all that matters) Acura has always been a USA brand, rest of the world hates the name and it's Star trek symbol on the hood.




It made me laugh when the very Japanese gen-1 NSX and ITR were considered "American" cars in Gran Turismo because Acura was purportedly an American brand.

I can't see Honda discontinuing Acura altogether at least in the United States because of dealer franchise laws. However, I remember Acura doing well in Hong Kong back in the 1990's, the only other market outside North America where it was sold. Though it might have just been on the strength of the NSX and Legend alone.

Honda used to import the CA Accord Coupe LHD from Ohio to Japan and the TL as the Inspire/Saber. What the hell is stopping them from doing this again?! As an HMC shareholder, I'm kinda pissed off that they aren't exporting Acuras to Europe (it's so bad there it can't hurt) or Japan (where Honda's lineup looks like a premium version of Suzuki's with the odd Accord and Legend). Why all this money just to keep these cars in North America? If the Acura name is flailing in China, either stick an "H" on the TLX, MDX or RDX. Or double down on the American aspect of the brand and put the American engineers at Acura in the ads.



Acura entered the HK market because Lexus did so in 1990. They did ok for a little more than a decade. Once Tokyo decided they weren't going to bring Acura to Japan, the HK market was no longer doable in any business senses because that is a RHD market, and RL was the only car remaining in the lineup.

revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 17:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Power Of Dreams wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
China has replaced USA as number 1 market in the World(that is all that matters) Acura has always been a USA brand, rest of the world hates the name and it's Star trek symbol on the hood.




It made me laugh when the very Japanese gen-1 NSX and ITR were considered "American" cars in Gran Turismo because Acura was purportedly an American brand.

I can't see Honda discontinuing Acura altogether at least in the United States because of dealer franchise laws. However, I remember Acura doing well in Hong Kong back in the 1990's, the only other market outside North America where it was sold. Though it might have just been on the strength of the NSX and Legend alone.

Honda used to import the CA Accord Coupe LHD from Ohio to Japan and the TL as the Inspire/Saber. What the hell is stopping them from doing this again?! As an HMC shareholder, I'm kinda pissed off that they aren't exporting Acuras to Europe (it's so bad there it can't hurt) or Japan (where Honda's lineup looks like a premium version of Suzuki's with the odd Accord and Legend). Why all this money just to keep these cars in North America? If the Acura name is flailing in China, either stick an "H" on the TLX, MDX or RDX. Or double down on the American aspect of the brand and put the American engineers at Acura in the ads.



Why not use Acura as an avant garde American style brand to push premium electric vehicles?

It seems like we're in a limbo state before fuel cell vehicles take off and Honda is shying away from investing in gas platforms until then. Once things are in full swing were gonna be a step behind again just like after the recession.

No balls.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 21:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RolledaNsx wrote:
rest of the world hates the name and it's Star trek symbol on the hood.


Haha not sure if that is true, we just don't see the point of it, we recognizie most of them as Hondas.

The symbol and the name is actually quite nice. Also the Acura-only cars are not bad, but there are too few of them.


IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2019 21:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
fishchan wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
rest of the world hates the name and it's Star trek symbol on the hood.


Haha not sure if that is true, we just don't see the point of it, we recognizie most of them as Hondas.

The symbol and the name is actually quite nice. Also the Acura-only cars are not bad, but there are too few of them.




I'm an American, but have lived outside the country for the past 26 years. I never liked the name or symbol and wished it never was even made, but they were the first to do it out of the big 3 Japanese brands and then basically let it rot in its own feces. If they killed the brand completely, I wouldn't be shedding any tears. What I think Honda should do, let the owner decide what symbol is placed on their vehicle since they're a Honda deep down anyways. Especially the NSX, looks so much better with a H on it in my opinion (see Super GT), compared to the upside down H with crooked legs.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2019 00:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RolledaNsx wrote:
China has replaced USA as number 1 market in the World(that is all that matters) Acura has always been a USA brand, rest of the world hates the name and it's Star trek symbol on the hood.



China has never been big into sports/performance cars. Why are all other auto companies continuing with their sports cars, building new ones, doing more performance cars, not killing off brands except Honda?

Just sounds like China is the new "08 economic collapse/Fannie Freddie" excuse to kill off any performance/luxury cars Honda brass does not want to bother building.

The rest of the world hates the half assed vehicles that came from Honda for the Acura brand, it was not the brand, it was the FWD, 6 cylinder only Accord/civic based cars they were trying to pawn off as BMW/Mercedes competitors.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2019 03:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
IntegraDC5R wrote:

I'm an American, but have lived outside the country for the past 26 years. I never liked the name or symbol and wished it never was even made, but they were the first to do it out of the big 3 Japanese brands and then basically let it rot in its own feces. If they killed the brand completely, I wouldn't be shedding any tears. What I think Honda should do, let the owner decide what symbol is placed on their vehicle since they're a Honda deep down anyways. Especially the NSX, looks so much better with a H on it in my opinion (see Super GT),



Exactly, threre is no point to it. The NSX need a 'H' on it.

However, I can think of 2 good points about the name:

1. At the top of list alphabet
2. Better than "Lexus"

If the brand is completely different from Honda I can see that but it started out as Honda, only recently introduce original models and then even failing at it.

So... no point.

Maybe as a EV and FCV-only luxury brand that make good looking and high tech cars. But they probably won't do it.

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2019 21:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Acura sales in China is reaching it's all time low.

All three locally assembled models are sitting at the dealer lots collecting dust.

In February, they moved 287 CDXs, 104 TLX-Ls and 358 RDXs(which is brand new!)

I would pull Acura out from that market asap if I'm in charge too.


 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0