[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesis’s CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 19:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Holy shitballs, is that Still Night Pearl a looker!!! (Enough that I’ll consider Obsidian Blue Pearl for my 2019 Touring 2.0T, if that shade isn’t the dark one I saw today on a previous-generation, post-MMC Pilot, which is just too dark.)

And the car is awesome, too!

Dropped off my 2013 Accord Touring for a spa (detail) treatment this past Thursday, and took a 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT as a loaner, with around 6,700 miles on the clock.

As I’m sure Jeff and Shawn are aware (along with others), I’ve been crying in my beer over the seemingly “me-too” decision to drop-kick the V6 from the Accord, and substitute seemingly underpowered turbocharged four-bangers in their place, in several places on this board for the last year or so, beginning when the first-drive Camry impressions were disembargoed: recall that Honda dropped the prototype drives from Tochigi—and the powertrain news—for the Accord, the bread and butter of the lineup, a day later—Friday, June 10th, 2017!

Since then, I’ve driven a CR-V EX-L 1.5T, which left a favorable impression: TORQUE is a definite plus! Something that the prior-generation, post-MMC CR-V lacked; the CVT and engine were fighting each other in that vehicle, whereas in the new one, “arrest me, please” speeds were in the offing with a stab of the pedal! (Of course, the reports of fuel blow-by into the crankcase—and Honda’s seeming reticence in finding a solution—are of concern!)

Cut to the Toledo Auto Show, February, 2018: I got to tinker around with the interior appointments in a Touring 2.0T, and came away impressed! A cut above the 9th-Gen, and damn close to the Acuras elsewhere on the floor! (I started a thread about it here.)

Herewith my impressions, from a twenty mile drive home, state highway, two lanes each way, 60mph limit, ACC at 63mph, plus my Friday work commute (I-75 into downtown Toledo, OH and back), and a return to the dealer through a driving rain:

First off, the ride is head-and-shoulders above the 9th-Gen, in every measure! Very planted, very solid, dare I say almost better than the 4th-Gen Accord which has been my benchmark to date! (And this is on the chassis setup with the 19” wheels—and the Goodyears, not Michelins! After arriving home Thursday, I headed over to my parents’ house to cut their grass (my Dad being one week into his six-week recovery from a broken ankle), and my Mom couldn’t believe the size of the wheels, with hardly any tire! My guess is that the adaptive dampers on the Touring smooth things out more! No wonder folks are finding their Sports on blocks with the wheels gone—they really look awesome in person—pictures don’t do them justice! (The Touring wheels are OK, if a bit overstyled for my taste.) This is probably the best-riding car I’ve ever experienced! (That said, I’ve never ridden in any of Germany’s finest, nor any other premium brand, so my experience may be, and likely is, somewhat limited.) Only one bump that I hit broke the car’s composure, with a kick to the steering and a “ka-blam” noise through the structure, one which my 2013 takes with much more drama (expected for a car with 41K miles and tires which will need replacement soon); imperfections which elicited a “clipetty-clop” through my 2013’s structure when new were nicely absorbed in the new car. My 2013 went for almost a year before any annoying rattles made their way into the cabin (and the horrible winter of 2013-4, complete with ruts everywhere, as my area came within an inch of breaking the all-time record seasonal snowfall, didn’t help). This new one will go further!

The steering is just right!! Nicely weighted, with decent feedback, and a nice track on-center, and unlike the 2017 EX-L Hybrid I’ve driven a couple times, there were no ping-pong motions between lane markers with LKAS; despite my dinking with the menus on the left screen (tachometer) while in motion, I only set the LKAS off once on the drive home, and maybe noticed a touch of drift between the lane markers driving to work. Contrary to someone else’s experience, on here or elsewhere, I was able to drive comfortably with my hand flopped over the top of the wheel, with enough knee room around the center console; there is less knee room, but you might be able to work around it by moving the seat back a little and not reclining as much; as it was, I didn’t have the seat back in the 2018 as much as I do in my 2013, and I didn’t realize it until I was back in my car. (I could probably do six hours behind the wheel without complaint in this car!) BTW, the ACC response to surrounding traffic is much improved over the implementation in the post-MMC 9th-Gens, and makes the v1.0 implementation in my 2013 seem prehistoric; even with ECO mode engaged in order to attempt to make it back to the dealer without dropping a segment on the gas gauge (requiring a top-off, and which didn’t succeed), the ACC briskly resumed to the set speed without needing a throttle blip to “wake it up!” On a two-lane road with a center turn lane, posted 25mph, I let the car stop itself at a red light while following traffic (and with my foot covering the brake pedal, which moves with the car actuating the brakes—not sure if my 2013 Touring does the same), and the car used maybe a little more brake than I would have used, but it didn’t feel like an emergency stop, either; my 2013 is much more abrupt in that regard—at least until ACC drops at 22mph—and the driver of the S-Class behind me at the light, following at a normal distance, didn’t look fazed.) With loaners, etc., that I’ve had, I’ve spent a week+ driving HondaSensing-equipped cars total, and have yet to have had a false CMBS activation, so kudos to Honda for that! I tried the Brake Hold thing, and can see where it would be helpful in stop-and-go (if the full-stop ACC isn’t engaged), or in a drive-thru line. (I did see something about the tuning of the EPS in the Sports having a bit more feel, and I hope the difference in the Touring isn’t evident, because the Sport is damn good!)

The brakes have a nice “heft,” with a substantial feel, which would be easy to modulate. Actually, that describes the Accord in general: SUBSTANTIAL! A heft missing from all Accords to date! Save..you guessed it..the 1990-1993 4th-Gens! General handling seems to punch above the Accord’s weight class, with maybe a better balance due to less mass in front.

Other good stuff: a real horn; dark green—not lime-green—turn signal indicators in the IP; ample interior storage; a butter-smooth engine at idle without vibration through the wheel, pedals, or interior bits; a cavernous trunk (albeit too much of a “mail-slot”—a degree or two more slant to the vertical in the rear window would make a difference); non-intrusive seat headrests; and a halfway decent 6-speaker stereo (IIRC, previous Sports had the LX’s four-speaker unit). No Levinson unit this, but plain old AM/FM was adequate—the HD Radio capability in the higher trims probably helps. Didn’t have a chance to try any of the phone-based options or need to make or receive phone calls, but my iPhone X paired to the car with no glitches; iOS 11.3 seemed to have fixed the problem with the Bluetooth stack and importing of Contacts with pictures to the car from Apple devices.

So any niggling niggles? I presented a list of interior observations in this forum from the auto show in February of this year (link further up this post—stuff like the feel of the climate buttons), but after actually driving an Accord, I do have other observations:
1. Honda, you put the electronics onboard for the keyless ignition (including the proximity antenna) in the 1.5T Sport (and LX, I trust), but yet I stood there for a few seconds grabbing the door handle at the dealer and nothing happened! Does it REALLY cost that much more to add the one-touch entry across the entire range? (I assume EX and above models get the full SmartKey treatment?) Having to reach into your pocket to unlock the car almost defeats the purpose of the keyless ignition.
2. Why do I have to hold the trunk release button down for a half-second to open the trunk? What’s wrong with a simple button press? (On the fob, too, along with the inside button! Better yet, just make it a cable release in the usual floor spot, as I’ve never had issues with those mechanisms, and in fact, I thought the fuel-door releases have more problems.) Hopefully you can’t use the release button on the decklid while the fob is in the car, the engine is running, and the car in gear, like you can with the 9th-Gens—whenever I have purchases in the trunk, I always have to remember to flip the switch in the glovebox to disable the button; that should only work if the car is in “Park,” or with the parking brake engaged on sticks. Otherwise, a thief could pop your trunk while you’re waiting to turn out of the mall and help themselves!
3. LED indicators at the front, but not in back?! C’mon, Honda! (Hopefully there are plug-‘n-play LED replacements, with a built-in resistor to prevent rapid-blink, available!)
4. Likely because of the weirdness of the CAFE 2025 footprint statues plus the pedestrian regulations, it seems like not only that the Accord’s H-point has been lowered (which doesn’t seem bothersome), but the front of the car has been raised, big-time! The hood seems higher relative to the H-point, and the sides over the fenders appear higher than the center of the hood! It’s disorienting at the least, and makes the car seem twice as wide as it actually is! The Touring parking beepers are going to come in handy, and Honda, if you’re listening, put a 360-degree camera on the Accord! It’d make life easier! (Caught just a touch of hood flutter, but even with my OCD, I was able to ignore it most of the time; I think the car I had was a January, 2018 build. Also found that rough pavement brought out the buzz from the package shelf that I believe is addressed by a TSB.) Even with that, visibility is good, though not as good as the last-generation, particularly out the window immediately in back of each rear door; unlike the previous Chevy Impala, which presents a similar view, there’s enough vestigial window to not create a total blind spot. (This was especially good, given that I’ve become accustomed to the LaneWatch camera in my 2013, and am trying to wean myself off of it in anticipation of my next Accord, as I’ll still look over my shoulder, even with BSI!)
5. Speaking of visibility, the side mirrors are almost to the point of form following function. Perhaps the higher belt line versus the last Accord has something to do with it, especially with the large expanse of plastic on the side, where an extra inch of glass could have gone. The shape is from the 4th-Gen, run through a taffy puller! The mirrors with signal repeaters don’t look much different.
6. Just like in the pre-MMC 8th-Gens, the front Defrost button seems to be in the wrong place! It should be the last button on the right, next to the passenger temperature adjustment.
7. WTF is with the “welcome” noises after you close the driver’s door without locking the doors? Can we upload a selection of random sound files for that function?! Darth Vader saying “Luke, I am your car,” or a VW Beetle or Road Runner “beep-beep,” would be perfect! (Didn’t want to go through the manual—maybe there’s a setup option to shut it off, if desired?)
8. The prop rod on the hood wasn’t the easiest thing in the world to detach when closing—it got stuck in the receptacle, and it took a little wiggling of the hood itself, repeatedly, to dislodge it. It also felt flimsier than the prop rod on my 1994 Civic, which snapped in on the side of the engine bay—thankfully, the only crappy piece I found on the new Accord. (Fortunately, it looks like most of it is away from the turbocharger, and I carefully felt the steel part to see how hot it would get—not bad, but best to grab the foam piece, and let things cool for a couple minutes with the hood up while you pump your gas, then check the oil while you finish pumping. Capless fueling seemed to work OK.)
9. I’m used to the simpler three-button MID on the 9th-Gen Touring/HondaSensing-equipped car, so scrolling through two separate screens on the reconfigurable display for average fuel mileage and other trip computer functionality is challenging at first. The scroll wheel for the menu selection is also the reverse of what seems logical.
10. Styling: the new Accord looks a little weird, but not objectionable; my biggest problem will be choosing the right background chrome piece to go with the Sport Grille accessory. It’s an acquired taste, admittedly, but one drive, and you’ll feel the “Honda-ness” of the car, and the styling will grow on you. This as I’m finally starting to see more Accords around, I’m sure because of the new dealer incentives.

None of these are deal-breakers by any stretch.

As I alluded to above, I did pop the hood after I got the car home Thursday evening, and as expected, there was a little more heat radiating off the engine, and the oil smelled hotter on the dipstick than in other cars (though not of gasoline, as in the CR-V, which is why I pulled it in the first place); I thought I might have heard a whirring noise from an electric water pump circulating coolant through the turbo, but I wasn’t sure.

So my biggest misgiving about this car still stands: things are running hotter under the hood from a smaller engine! Unlike my last four Hondas, I may wish to pick a HondaCare up at some point, unless I find that a replacement turbocharger is less than a timing belt and water pump, in which case I’ll budget it as a maintenance item, if needed. Will this be a 300,000-mile engine? Nobody knows! Jeff has stated that somebody at a dealer or at Honda corporate told him that the L15T and K20T meet Honda’s usual durability targets. With every cent being scrutinized by the bean counters throughout the industry, however, I cannot help but be a little skeptical. Especially when the simpler solution of normally-aspirated engines did well enough from a fuel-mileage perspective: 35mpg on the highway from my V6 at the ACC Vmax of 90mph with the cabin becoming a meat locker from the A/C was good enough, even without DI and a 10-speed automatic kicking the numbers higher. (That said, over three days and 50 mixed-driving miles, I averaged 30mpg without altering my somewhat aggressive driving style; my 2013 Touring yields 24mpg or so under the same driving conditions.)

In sum, this new Accord clearly punches above its class! It’s even closer to my benchmark 4th-Gen than ever! Hopefully, I’ll have an opportunity to take a 2.0T out for a spin soon, and post my opinions.

Best car in the (dying?) midsize segment? Still the Accord!

CivicSi99
Profile for CivicSi99
Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 01:36
What's keeping you from buying an 18? The deals are good right now probably due to high inventory. I saw someone got a 2.0T Touring for $30.9K before TTL. A 2.0T Sport for 26K plus TTL.
Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 02:36
CivicSi99 wrote:
What's keeping you from buying an 18? The deals are good right now probably due to high inventory. I saw someone got a 2.0T Touring for $30.9K before TTL. A 2.0T Sport for 26K plus TTL.

I want to wait a model-year for any major first-year bugs to be resolved, to see if any problems surface with the turbo poweplants in the vein of the CR-V issues (and how Honda responds), and if any tweaks are done to the styling, as happened on the 2013 Civics.

Unlike the last-generation, when I was willing to buy a later-build of the first year, the re-think of the engines was the first thing that put me off from a first-year purchase from the outset, while with the retention of conventional engines, the infotainment teething problems in the rollout of the Civic and Oddy were enough for me to not want to be a beta-tester this time around! With both of these eventualities in-play, the decision was a no-brainer!

Besides, the extra $400 or so in my wallet each month is adding up!

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
LX Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2018 21:15
I managed to snap the driver’s wiper arm off near the base while struggling to get the wiper off to change the refill, and my 2013 Touring has been dinging at me at startup for the past month to have her oil changed, so it was off to the dealer for those items plus a fall detail. I had attempted to arrange to borrow a Touring 2.0T for an “extended” test drive, but communication breakdown between me, the salesman, and the service department nixed it (no bigs—it happens), so I got the original arrangement of a loaner from the service fleet, a Platinum White LX.

Not much more that I can add that I haven’t addressed, at least on the 1.5T/CVT side of the house. What impressed me most is just how good the base Accord really is! Not a bad place to spend time, certainly no penalty box! The non-leather wheel has a nice, beefy rim, and even the base four-speaker stereo is a cut above what I remember from my test-drive of a 9th-Gen Sport CVT the day after they went on sale in 2012! (Don’t know if the seat position was funny, but I somehow managed to knock the car out of gear at speed while moving my arm—the shift lever sits higher in this Accord, for sure!)

As expected, handling is a little less buttoned-down than the Sport, but it’s still quite good. And after getting home from work, I checked my MPGs: 34.5mpg, where my Touring would see mid-20s with the cold weather on the same drives.

I forgot to reset one of the tripmeters before I pulled away from the dealership, so a half-mile down the road, I pulled off to do so (since the scroll-wheel is a little awkward to use on the move until one gets used to it). When I pulled back out into traffic, I experienced some rubber-banding from the CVT which I hadn’t on the Sport I reviewed up-top. What I didn’t realize is just how fast the car was gaining speed once the tachometer locked at 4,000 rpms (and maybe one-third throttle); after only a few seconds, I was passing 75mph (in a 60)! Whoops! Perhaps the CVT programming is different on the Sport versus the LX and EX variants. Whatever! In classic Honda fashion, until you become acclimated to the vehicle, better watch your speed, because you WILL catch yourself going faster than you think!

Now to get my hands on a 2.0T. Who knows, if College Hills has a Yuletide free-shipping deal, I might just grab a trunk tray and windshield sunshade for a future car, just as I did several months before my current car arrived! I’m still going to wait a few months before I start car payments again—I made the mistake of taking delivery of my second new car on the day before Thanksgiving of 1999, and after the first winter without some sort of protection on the paint, I could never get it to shine properly! Never again—I can’t subject a brand-new car to salt and muck with a clear conscience!

Merry Christmas!

DannyB
Profile for DannyB
Re: LX Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2018 10:37
Gfn8r wrote:
I managed to snap the driver’s wiper arm off near the base while struggling to get the wiper off to change the refill, and my 2013 Touring has been dinging at me at startup for the past month to have her oil changed, so it was off to the dealer for those items plus a fall detail. I had attempted to arrange to borrow a Touring 2.0T for an “extended” test drive, but communication breakdown between me, the salesman, and the service department nixed it (no bigs—it happens), so I got the original arrangement of a loaner from the service fleet, a Platinum White LX.

Not much more that I can add that I haven’t addressed, at least on the 1.5T/CVT side of the house. What impressed me most is just how good the base Accord really is! Not a bad place to spend time, certainly no penalty box! The non-leather wheel has a nice, beefy rim, and even the base four-speaker stereo is a cut above what I remember from my test-drive of a 9th-Gen Sport CVT the day after they went on sale in 2012! (Don’t know if the seat position was funny, but I somehow managed to knock the car out of gear at speed while moving my arm—the shift lever sits higher in this Accord, for sure!)

As expected, handling is a little less buttoned-down than the Sport, but it’s still quite good. And after getting home from work, I checked my MPGs: 34.5mpg, where my Touring would see mid-20s with the cold weather on the same drives.

I forgot to reset one of the tripmeters before I pulled away from the dealership, so a half-mile down the road, I pulled off to do so (since the scroll-wheel is a little awkward to use on the move until one gets used to it). When I pulled back out into traffic, I experienced some rubber-banding from the CVT which I hadn’t on the Sport I reviewed up-top. What I didn’t realize is just how fast the car was gaining speed once the tachometer locked at 4,000 rpms (and maybe one-third throttle); after only a few seconds, I was passing 75mph (in a 60)! Whoops! Perhaps the CVT programming is different on the Sport versus the LX and EX variants. Whatever! In classic Honda fashion, until you become acclimated to the vehicle, better watch your speed, because you WILL catch yourself going faster than you think!

Now to get my hands on a 2.0T. Who knows, if College Hills has a Yuletide free-shipping deal, I might just grab a trunk tray and windshield sunshade for a future car, just as I did several months before my current car arrived! I’m still going to wait a few months before I start car payments again—I made the mistake of taking delivery of my second new car on the day before Thanksgiving of 1999, and after the first winter without some sort of protection on the paint, I could never get it to shine properly! Never again—I can’t subject a brand-new car to salt and muck with a clear conscience!

Merry Christmas!

What kind of paint protection do you recommend? I just bought a 2018 Accord Sport 1.5L. ;)

FYI, small correction on your initial Sport impressions. The Sport model has an 8 speaker setup. It sounds quite good IMO.

Love the car and mirror your overall impressions.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2018 12:58
Just now reading this. I’m pretty sure the delay between the button press and the trunk opening is so it doesn’t get opened accidentally...?

My odyssey is the same way with the rear hatch - you have to hold the button down inside the car and on the fob.

I’m already used to it.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: LX Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2018 15:13
Gfn8r wrote:
.... What I didn’t realize is just how fast the car was gaining speed once the tachometer locked at 4,000 rpms (and maybe one-third throttle); after only a few seconds, I was passing 75mph (in a 60)! Whoops! Perhaps the CVT programming is different on the Sport versus the LX and EX variants. Whatever! In classic Honda fashion, until you become acclimated to the vehicle, better watch your speed, because you WILL catch yourself going faster than you think!

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas (Mele Kalikimaka) and Happy New Year to you too.

Good comments on the Accord. In the past, since the late 90s, the Accords got a too soft suspension for my taste. Perhaps they are going back to the setting from the olden days. When they had double wishbones.

Did you try the power modes for the transmission? If you want to slow down but not hit the brakes, using the sport mode will kick in some more engine braking. And the engine will rev more on the upside. ( Notes from our '16 Civic Coupe Cake Touring ).

As far as going too fast... Heck, you ought to try the Ridgeline. On the Interstate, on Eco mode, there is NO difference from 75 to 85. So, if you try to drive it by ear and feel, you find yourself doing 86!

The Accord iMMDs were like too. Once the ICE engaged, you could do 80 mph all day long. For 560 miles or until your bladder(s) burst.

What amazes me though, is the current Civic platform. It rides very well and is pretty fast too. Our Coupe Cake Touring, even with its 1.5T/CVT, has a ride that no Civic ever before had.

What will I do the day I convince my wife to get a CTR then? That sucker likely goes 110 before you notice? Specially with its programmable suspension.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: LX Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-22-2018 21:49
I could only imagine you with a CTR, based on your enthusiasm for all things Honda!

Watched a “HondaPro Jason” YouTube video today of the Honda Collection in California (presumably in Torrance). Pretty neat!

Am actually going to ask the salesman with whom I’ll probably be dealing at my dealer if they could arrange a Marysville factory tour for me if I order an Accord through the factory, in order to get the Michelin tires (which they managed to do last time). Only stupid question, and all that! (He was the fleet guy when my former broker (who unfortunately died from pancreatic cancer a couple years ago) got me the deal on my current car, and hopefully they’ll do the same type of deal this time (and I’ll spot them the amount the broker would have made); probably a few hundred over someone haggling over every penny and managing to get it without F&I screwing them over completely, but worth it for “no BS!” Hell, if they’ll come to an understanding with me, and their available plan will fix inevitable curb-rash for a modest deductible every so-often, I’ll even buy a wheel/tire protection package from ‘em!)

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: LX Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-22-2018 22:17
I’ve got VentureShield Ultimate paint-protection film on the hood, front clip, rockers, front fender leading-edges, mirrors and rear bumper. Before I got lazy and started having the dealer do details twice a year, I used Zaino products. Expensive, but very good! (I still use their final topcoat product after the dealer is finished with the car.) My dealer had a guy who was thirty years in the detailing business before he retired, and this year, the dealer group opened a detail shop which does almost as good a job. Very satisfied! (True story: for my first oil change on my current Touring, I had the car detailed for the first time at the dealer after wearing myself out doing it myself in the spring, and the car came out so good that despite being a year old (and in 2014, Tourings weren’t as common), the sales manager wanted to comp me a couple more days of the service loaner in order to show off a “new” Touring in the showroom, but realized I probably wouldn’t appreciate having a bunch of dirty feet over the inside of my car!)

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: LX Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-26-2018 12:42
Eight speakers on the Sport 1.5s? Two door tweeters, two door full-range speakers, two rear deck. Are there a couple in the center-channel position in back of the infotainment stack?

Just wondering what I was missing.

DannyB
Profile for DannyB
Re: LX Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2018 09:22
Gfn8r wrote:
Eight speakers on the Sport 1.5s? Two door tweeters, two door full-range speakers, two rear deck. Are there a couple in the center-channel position in back of the infotainment stack?

Just wondering what I was missing.

I believe there are two rear tweeters as well.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2019 22:31
As can be inferred by the Title, my dealer placed a factory-trade order for an incoming Modern Steel Touring, which they'll swap out for MY Radiant Red! Should be here in a month, maybe two. (Gives me time to get the disposition of my current car arranged--work colleague will likely purchase it--and arrange a PPF install from Block-A-Chip in Mentor, OH, prior to taking delivery. Just ordered a trunk mat from CHH, and WeatherTech FloorLiners from the manufacturer.) Sport Grille (Chrome) and mudflaps as Accessories.

So I've completed the transition from "oh woe is me, no V6" to becoming a 2.0T owner in a month or so. (Just in time for my 49th birthday--I got myself a CAR PAYMENT! 8-p) So what caused the change? And what are my impressions? Grab an adult beverage or three, and I'll tell you!

First, this ain't! No! V6! The startup sequence lets you know that! It's NOT turbine-smooth, with a little more of a rorty sound and feel than even the 1.5T, which is smoooooooooth as a baby's bottom at idle, with the CVT in Drive! In the 2018 Touring I drove today (only 2.0T in my dealer's inventory, including two more 2018 LXs, and a total of 9 2019 1.5Ts in stock--3 Sports, and the rest LXs--those 2019s came in two shipments, and not a one has sold--CR-Vs are hawt, and Oddys are almost sold before they're off the truck), there is a hint of vibration at idle in the seat. But the passenger seat doesn't vibrate in-time. It's an adjustment! But..the F22s in the 4th-Gens (1990-1993), my benchmark, did that too, and that's important as I continue my impressions.

This vehicle, a February, 2018 build, with 864 miles on the clock, had NO rattles, squeaks, creaks, squawks, or other weird noises. (Even the HUD, a sore point in early builds, was silent!) It was a very rainy day as I drove from Bowling Green, OH, to my home in a south Toledo suburb, then made a "work commute" into downtown Toledo, then back to my home exit, where I put $5 of gas into the car, then continued back down to BG to the dealer. (Was tempted to go all the way to Findlay, OH, on I-75--that car just wanted to CRUISE! This car could probably pull Autobahn duty reasonably well, though unlike the V6, this car might run short of breath above, say, 110; when I have my own well broken-in vehicle with a safe length of clear highway ahead and no gendarmes present to look askance of such "experimentation," I may (but likely won't) report such findings, though a run up to a dollar, followed by a coast down to more sane speeds, might be in the offing.)

Let's start with the interior! As I've stated in the past, this interior feels like it's hewn from a single piece of granite! Absolutely a step above the 9th-Gen, almost into Acura territory! The stereo is a step above the last-gen one, as well--set to factory defaults, I tried cranking up PopRocks on XM from my normal listening level of 9, and by the time I hit 18, my ears were KILLING me! The sound is fan-damned-tastic, and the center channel in the front helps! 4.5 out of 5 stars! My OCD will adjust to having a front Defrost button that isn't over on the right side! And for those who decry the auto-wipers, I'm not seeing the problem; I had the sensitivity selector set in the middle, where the single-speed delay wipe would be on Hondas of yore, and at times, the wipers waited maybe a quarter-second too long to sweep, and moving the sensitivity up a notch seemed to help. (I'm constantly fiddling with the intermittent settings in variable rain in my current car, and always have. This system seems better than I anticipated. You just need to remember to turn the wipers off when parking, as if it's not raining, you could forget!) Also, the HUD is pretty neat! But since I didn't drive the car at night (although I did mess around with stuff with the car in my garage), I didn't notice if the HUD dims if ambient light requires it.

I know I've blabbed about the Gentex mirrors in these vehicles, and not liking the "smiley," inverted-trapezoid shape! I figured out what folks have been saying about glare reflecting of a "rim"--THERE'S A ZONE AROUND THE PERIMETER WHICH ISN'T DIMMABLE! Unlike the one I tried in an Odyssey sitting in the showroom, the mirror in my test vehicle AIN'T GONNA MOVE despite pressing the HomeLink buttons to open the garage! Still, that undimmed rim will drive me nuts (in addition to the "facial expression of a demented clown" shape), so I'll be working with a Michigan-based eBay autodim-mirror vendor to retrofit a conventional rimmed Gentex mirror to my new vehicle, and which I can take with me into subsequent vehicles, until they come up with a design that doesn't compromise function for questionable form!

All the bitching far and wide about the pushbutton transmission selection on the slushbox 2.0Ts is a bunch of bovine excrement! There's a couple minutes of a learning curve, and you certainly need to watch what you do with drinks around the cupholder, as heaven knows what the contents of a SuperGigrundoSlusheeVentiTripleMochaLatteExpressoDirtyDishWaterHighFructoseCornSyrupPi$$Water will do to that selector if said water-tower-sized drink spills on it! But it is intuitive, and works as fast as a normal shifter--the Reverse-To-Drive process is as quick as doing it yourself, and no missing Drive and dropping into Sport or a lower gear by mistake; I'd feel no pressure in a parallel-parking situation! BTW, I found an Easter egg thing with that when I pulled around the gas pump to give the car a quick drink--if you need to move the car slowly into position and need to look out the open driver's door to do it, no need to buckle the seat belt--just hold the Drive button down, or hold the Reverse toggle up, and move slowly. Be careful, because if you are below the speed where the car "thinks" it won't damage the transmission, and let off the button or toggle, it WILL engage Park, unless you don't have the seat belt fastened! My only complaint would be that, like a PC keyboard without backlit buttons, I've seen some complaints that the stenciling on those buttons may wear off with time! So c'mon, Honda, put a backlight on those buttons! I didn't try the paddles because of the rain, but as I found out, this car can flat-a$$ HAUL! How does that 10-speed feel? Utterly invisible in normal driving, and well-behaved, crisp shifts when giving it the coal! If it was hunting around, I couldn't feel it!

On the freeway, at 80mph, the engine was at maybe 2,200 rpm in Sport mode, while in normal and Eco mode, the engine turned at roughly 1,800rpm, which is the same as my V6! (Obviously, Sport Mode locks a few of the top gears out in order to keep the car in the meatier part of the torque curve, should the driver wish to make the jump to hyperspace!) On my way home, at around 76mph in ACC, I first clicked Sport mode on (and before I noticed that the revs were higher) to bring up the boost gauge, and to my delight, the gauge read 0! (I may purchase a scangauge or something to track that in normal/Eco, unless there's an app someplace that can be sideloaded onto the Android-based infotainment for that purpose.)

Oh yes--how does this car do when you want to play? It's not a basso-profundo J35, but a modern, much more powerful, and more refined F22!!! Yes, friends, I said it! This engine beats the pants off that 4th-Gen! The 5th-Gen four-pots, the first ones with VTEC, weren't quite as smooth as their predecessors! This takes that same refinement, piles on the TORQUE, and adds a nice little grrrrrowwwwwll that is classic Honda, all the way, through and through! Drop the hammer, and after an eye-blink to skip-shift the transmission, by which time the boost is ready to par-tay, you're pushed into the seat and off like an F-18 off a catapault! While proceeding down I-75 back towards BG in the right lane, a driver in a Dodge Journey tried to mate his SUV to the Accord; after an emergency maneuver halfway onto the shoulder, complete with a horn blast (thank God--a REAL HORN) and a quick middle-digit salute, I decided to put a little distance between the offender and myself with an open lane ahead--and I watched the rev counter pass 4,000rpms, and the speed--well, let's say that at that point, I was like "holy [excrement]!," and backed off! When I got on I-75 southbound at my home exit, I thought I would try a nice pull, just to see what she'd do by the end of the ramp, as I did with the first Accord V6 I drove almost seventeen years ago, but with the rain, as has been mentioned here, those front tires were overwhelmed, with the traction-control begging for mercy, and I did promise that I wouldn't hoon the car TOO much! Just an absolute BLAST to drive! Fuel mileage was a surprise, as despite my moderately aggressive driving and A/C engagement via Defrost due to ambient temps around 45-degrees, over 40 miles of maybe a 55/45 freeway/city split, I averaged about 26mpg! Coming from my V6, that's pretty damned good, especially for a car with all this power! Savor that TORQUE sparingly, and it'll reward you with decent economy numbers! NO BOOST at cruise, courtesy of that transmission with the number of speeds on my Schwinn as a kid! Works for me!

Handling? A half-mile down the road from that near-miss was the State Route 6 exit to BG. Still a littled pi$$ed from the encounter, I carefully throttled into the S-curves on the ramp enough for the transmission to drop down a couple. The car kept its composure, and was rock-steady through those turns, with enough communication in the wheel to know that I wasn't being all that reckless in the rain, after all (and no blinking VSA light, either). The steering feel is a cut above my 2013, with a feeling of solidity which I remember from..(::drum roll::)..my Dad's 4th-Gen EX! The Agile Handling Assist really works! And the on-center feel is spectacular!

Only real niggle that'll drive my OCD nuts for a while is the fact that there isn't a wheel-mounted button to select an infotainment source; I have a local FM station on in the morning for traffic, then switch to XM for the drive home, and in the Accords with the uplevel stereo, they put a Back button where the Source button is, so you have to toggle into the menu on the tachometer to select that. (Probably will re-configure that menu to stick audio controls up-top, above "Tachometer," to facilitate a quicker switch.)

To sum up this lengthy tome, an order has been placed, and I've ordered WeatherTech FloorLiners and a trunk tray! Wouldn't be doing that if I wasn't looking to put those in a vehicle for the next six years or so! That's probably the best endorsement I can give--that I'll vote with my pocketbook! The Accord wins again!

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2019 22:39
Should have said that the transmission will drop into Park with the door open, if you let go of the button or toggle, unless you have the seat belt fastened; I left "don't" in erroneously.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-31-2019 01:18
Nice review.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-31-2019 09:10
Congratulations on your new car.

I agree about the pushbutton transmission control quickly becoming second nature. I've found it as intuitive as the toggle lever designs. One factor no one mentions is the system doesn't require a shift from Park to Drive and back to pass through Reverse. It made sense to place Park away from Drive for mechanical designs because of the lack of control over shifts but technology has moved on.

My complaint with Honda's automatic wiper controls is you do indeed forget to switch them off. The next day or whenever you back your car out of your garage and have the wipers surprise you when it's not raining and there is no water on the windshield.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-31-2019 12:42

Got my 2.0T Touring last fall. And for all my bitching about the V6 going away (before I broke down and bought this one)...I must say I have enjoyed this engine and this car.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-31-2019 14:30
@CB77, yes, I had seen that. The only thing that really caught my attention was the tiny amount of vibration at idle--that could be just a characteristic of that particular car I drove.

Only thing now is that I'm torn between the Black Chrome and the Chrome insert on that Sport Grille against the red. I've got a month to decide.

RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-31-2019 16:36
Gfn8r wrote:
@CB77, yes, I had seen that. The only thing that really caught my attention was the tiny amount of vibration at idle--that could be just a characteristic of that particular car I drove.

Only thing now is that I'm torn between the Black Chrome and the Chrome insert on that Sport Grille against the red. I've got a month to decide.

The idle vibration is likely due to direct injection which I've noticed on all vehicles with this tech.

deanh
Profile for deanh
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-01-2019 09:35
Gfn8r wrote:

Only real niggle that'll drive my OCD nuts for a while is the fact that there isn't a wheel-mounted button to select an infotainment source; I have a local FM station on in the morning for traffic, then switch to XM for the drive home, and in the Accords with the uplevel stereo, they put a Back button where the Source button is, so you have to toggle into the menu on the tachometer to select that. (Probably will re-configure that menu to stick audio controls up-top, above "Tachometer," to facilitate a quicker switch.)

Regarding this, On my 1.5 EX-L, I have the tach set to always display with the toggle menu set to radio. Thus, both are always displaying and it makes changing the source easy and no changing of menus. Do you have your tach set to always display? Not sure if you know how to do this, but if not, here are the steps => On the infotainment: Settings -> Vehicle -> Meter Setup -> Tachometer: ON -> Save. This makes it where you can toggle with fuel info, radio, etc, but you always still see the tach. I am not sure why they do not default the display with this on from the factory.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-01-2019 16:07
Grace141 wrote:

I agree about the pushbutton transmission control quickly becoming second nature. I've found it as intuitive as the toggle lever designs. One factor no one mentions is the system doesn't require a shift from Park to Drive and back to pass through Reverse. It made sense to place Park away from Drive for mechanical designs because of the lack of control over shifts but technology has moved on.

My complaint with Honda's automatic wiper controls is you do indeed forget to switch them off. The next day or whenever you back your car out of your garage and have the wipers surprise you when it's not raining and there is no water on the windshield.

We've had one of those shifters now for a while.

You get used to it very fast. And, actually, I find it more comfortable. You can rest your right hand on it on long drives.

Furthermore, I can attest it will ignore your attempts to select Reverse or Park at 70 mph. ;-)

Funny, when we first drove the Clarity, the dealer guy came with us to fill up the H2 tank. We never gave him a reason to tell us how to shift.. We got in, and just... drove. Easy... very easy.

Do the wipers turn on when there's no rain? Our TLX had the rain sensing wipers and they worked just fine on our drives up north. I just don't recall them coming on by themselves.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-01-2019 18:00
TonyEX wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

We've had one of those shifters now for a while.

You get used to it very fast. And, actually, I find it more comfortable. You can rest your right hand on it on long drives.

Furthermore, I can attest it will ignore your attempts to select Reverse or Park at 70 mph. ;-)

Funny, when we first drove the Clarity, the dealer guy came with us to fill up the H2 tank. We never gave him a reason to tell us how to shift.. We got in, and just... drove. Easy... very easy.

Do the wipers turn on when there's no rain? Our TLX had the rain sensing wipers and they worked just fine on our drives up north. I just don't recall them coming on by themselves.

Probably, when the engine is turned on, the wipers do a sweep. They always do one sweep when you first hit the switch, then if there's nothing, they stay parked. (I presume the sweep is done to allow the sensor to calibrate.)

The auto-wipers are better than I thought they'd be, and the auto-headlights are just about perfect. I wonder how the auto-brights do? Any experience, Tony? (O/T, how do you leave a response to Pete DeLorenzo on AutoExtremist? I recognized your name and general style on there!)

I was very pleasantly surprised with that transmission--the unit itself, and the selector! As I said in my "War and Peace"-length review, if the stenciling starts to wear off, like a non-backlit keyboard, I and my dealer's service manager are gonna have issues with Corporate! But just like the Start button, those things feel like they'll last the lifetime of the vehicle. (Well, unless a sugary drink spills all over, but in the Accord, that'd take out the transmission selector, plus the Qi phone charger, probably! Thankfully, I have a "no eating or drinking" policy in my vehicles, but as the owner and primary driver, I may choose to break that rule occasionally!)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2019 20:32
Gfn8r wrote:
The auto-wipers are better than I thought they'd be, and the auto-headlights are just about perfect. I wonder how the auto-brights do?.

Our current cars all have auto headlights with auto high-beam.

The auto headlights work fine, but I don't care for the auto high-beam. In the Ridgeline I've noticed that it will not use the high beams below 25 mph. But it has a habit of using them in circumstances where I don't want them (as in a well lit suburban wide street with cars coming out to you on the other side).

Yeah, I can be somewhat political there. The truth is that we both come from very opposite political points of view, yet we're pragmatic.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-04-2019 09:02
deanh wrote:

Regarding this, On my 1.5 EX-L, I have the tach set to always display with the toggle menu set to radio. Thus, both are always displaying and it makes changing the source easy and no changing of menus.

This makes it where you can toggle with fuel info, radio, etc, but you always still see the tach. I am not sure why they do not default the display with this on from the factory.

Thanks for this tip. I have gone to this setup on my 2.0T and it works quite well.

deanh
Profile for deanh
Re: 2018 Accord 2.0T Impression--PLACED THE FACTORY ORDER!!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2019 10:11
CB77 wrote:
deanh wrote:

Regarding this, On my 1.5 EX-L, I have the tach set to always display with the toggle menu set to radio. Thus, both are always displaying and it makes changing the source easy and no changing of menus.

This makes it where you can toggle with fuel info, radio, etc, but you always still see the tach. I am not sure why they do not default the display with this on from the factory.

Thanks for this tip. I have gone to this setup on my 2.0T and it works quite well.

You're welcome . . . interestingly enough, I have seen more than one review of the Accord dinging the car for not being able to display RPMs with fuel economy information, which of course you can once you engage this setting. Honda should just default it to always display RPM.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2019 01:03
It's why I am torn on this car.

My "must haves" are mutually exclusive. I like the content of the Touring, but I like the look of the Sport and specifically, Still Night Pearl is the ONLY color I want. So that leaves me with a Sport 2.0T. That requires me to forego quite a bit of the equipment I wanted in the Accord.

I'm starting to consider the Volvo S60 T6 R-Design... But that engine seems to be pretty high strung, so that concerns me a bit.

This is the main conundrum that keeps me from trading in my Coupe, which I am about to spend some $$ on for a new clutch and timing belt job.

Personally, I thought the powertrain in the car was fantastic, but then I have never been inherently against a 4 banger Accord, though it DOES give up some ground to the V6 in some ways.

Anyway, I keep going back and forth about it.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2019 02:22
Buy a Type-R
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2019 22:09
DCR wrote:
Buy a Type-R

I have to agree.

Plus with the CTR you get the NAVI and almost everything in the Civic Touring (which is a lot). The back seat of the current Civic is very nice and the hatch must be one hell of a bonus (note: my first Integra was a five door hatch.. and that's one of the handiest layouts I can think of).

The Accord is a much larger car and lacks the LSD. IMHO, if you need one of the large sedans, I still prefer the TLX SH-AWD over the Accord because it's torque vectoring rear end helps a lot. Sure it costs about $9K more, but IMHO it's worth it.

Now, about the 1.5T sport. We got the 1.5T/CVT in our '16 Civic Touring Coupe. It's a nice motor, but I can't figure it would be sufficient to lug around the much larger Accord, MT or not.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-16-2019 02:35
DCR wrote:
Buy a Type-R

Not for me at this time. I do like them, but I was admiring one from behind on the way home from work the other day and remembered exactly why I don't want one.

He was driving fine and minding his business and some middle aged dude in a base model BMW Z3 pulled up next to him (I am sitting at the light behind the Type-R) and started revving on him and asking him if he wanted to race. He said no, and then the dude "sped" off in his 20+ year old Z3...

No thanks.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-16-2019 03:53
owequitit wrote:
He was driving fine and minding his business and some middle aged dude in a base model BMW Z3 pulled up next to him (I am sitting at the light behind the Type-R) and started revving on him and asking him if he wanted to race. He said no, and then the dude "sped" off in his 20+ year old Z3...

No thanks.

You should try driving around in a 20+ year old NSX and see how much flack you get from "younguns" and the not so young, trying it on with you. BUT that shouldn't detract from the pleasure or owning/driving either the CTR or the NSX [kindred spirits that they are].

Have you at least driven one yet owe?? :)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-16-2019 11:28
sadlerau wrote:
owequitit wrote:

No thanks.

You should try driving around in a 20+ year old NSX and see how much flack you get from "younguns" and the not so young, trying it on with you. BUT that shouldn't detract from the pleasure or owning/driving either the CTR or the NSX [kindred spirits that they are].

Have you at least driven one yet owe?? :)

This was very bad when I drove around in the new (at the time) 2003 NSX-T. It was even worse in the 2019 NSX. People would materialize out of nowhere wanting a go, and this is ALL KINDS of people in ALL kinds of vehicles who were out to prove a point. I found in the Type R it's much less of that that, but it still does attract more attention than I'd prefer. So far it's mostly just dudes in GTIs and WRXs. There was a particularly annoying guy in a WRX just a day or two ago who made a point of streaking across a parking lot to try to goad me into racing(?). I'm not sure what he was doing. Whatever, I was seriously impressed (sarcasm) by the shitty sounding exhaust pops that had people thinking there was a driveby shooting underway.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0