[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura announces new "PMC Edition" models, to be "hand-crafted" at the PMC
More.......................
American Honda reports March 2019 sales
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Tesla is killing Panasonic!(breaking front page of all Japanese papers today)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I'M BACK IN THE HONDA GAME!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: On my way to work...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Considering Sport Touring HB: Any advice?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: 2020 Phoenix Yellow CTR spotted.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Bye Bye
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Damn Germans... getting H2
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Purchased Prices??
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Ebay Turbo Was All I Could Afford
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Four bucks for 87 octane
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Batteries marketplace?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Genesisís CRX concept
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2018 Accord 1.5T Sport CVT Impressions
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Type R > > Re: Bought one on a whim!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Dren
Profile for Dren
Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 07:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Looked Thursday, picked one up yesterday. Ten hour round trip drive but it was worth it. I'm a new owner of a Championship White Typr-R. This thing is stupid good...better than expected. If you're on the fence, do it. I'll post a picture later.
jlin583
Profile for jlin583
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 08:06
Congrats on your new car!
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 08:13
Dren wrote:
Looked Thursday, picked one up yesterday. Ten hour round trip drive but it was worth it. I'm a new owner of a Championship White Typr-R. This thing is stupid good...better than expected. If you're on the fence, do it. I'll post a picture later.

Wow, that's awesome!! Welcome to the club! You are absolutely right, it is a spectacular car.

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 08:34
Congratulations Dren. A really great car. Youíre the man to enjoy it !
Great colour choice too

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 09:14
Congrats! I checked out an Aegean Blue Metallic one in person. Enjoy the ride.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 09:34
Yep, stupid good sums it up nicely. You tell people how good it is, and they think you're exaggerating.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 13:35
Congrats Dren!
RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 14:00
Dren wrote:

Congrats! I've had mine about a month and couldn't be happier. Can't wait for the weather and tires and asphalt to warm up to get better grip.

Vtec_rally
Profile for Vtec_rally
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 17:38
Dren wrote:

Congratulations, a first rate performance car. I've really gotta take one out for a spin soon. I really dig this car in Aegean Blue.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-13-2019 21:21
Dren wrote:

Awesome. I just received my VIN and am told I am about a month away.

More on your impressions please.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2019 02:02
Don't take our word for it.

I better dig back in post history, Dren...I hope you weren't like me and flipped your stance once you saw it.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2019 15:12
Looks better in person inside and out. The red interior isn't as gaudy when you're driving,
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2019 16:51
I tried to tell Owe that...once you drive it and feel what it is all about, everything else falls by the wayside.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-14-2019 17:10
Awesome! And happy to hear it's Champ White! :-)
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2019 10:07

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2019 10:31
RMTRADER wrote:
Dren wrote:

Awesome. I just received my VIN and am told I am about a month away.

More on your impressions please.

A little back history. I owned a couple CRXs, daily drove an 07 Civic Si, a super charged BRZ, and had an AP2 S2000 for several years. I also recently drove a 2018 Si sedan.

This car feels like it pulls harder than all of those, has better brakes, better suspension, better handling. It doesn't sound as good as the S2000 since the turbo muffles the engine; it has more of a mean grumble. The steering in R mode is heavier than all but the non-power assisted CRX. The shifter is short and feels like it's a linkage, not cable, but I'm not sure if it is or not. The shifts are nice and precise. The clutch is great, much better than the 2018 Si. I actually like the rev-matching downshifts and somehow overlooked that feature on the spec sheet. It was a nice surprise. The seats hug you and were comfortable on a 5 hour drive though they require a little extra effort to get in and out.

The first time I really pushed the car was a bendy S shaped on-ramp after a pit-stop. That put a huge smile on my face. You're going to enjoy it. There's a bit of turbo lag, but it's not like the old digital lag early turbo cars have. The power surges when the turbo spools, but it's smooth, and there's plenty of rev range to enjoy, so it still feels a bit like older high revving Hondas. Oh, and there's a knob to adjust the volume of the radio. Funny, now that I have owned two Honda's that didn't have the knob...I haven't used the knob.

The car just feels like it's effortless through twisty roads. Yeah, it's pricey for a Civic, but worth every penny.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2019 10:57
Ah... if only I had a place to "drive" that car where I live...

Congrats !

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2019 11:27
Dren wrote:
The shifter is short and feels like it's a linkage, not cable, but I'm not sure if it is or not. The shifts are nice and precise.

https://acuityinstruments.com/collections/shifting-accessories/10th-gen-civic

I sat in a Type-R last weekend that had the Acuity adjustable short throw shifter and upgraded bushings. This was an incredible difference over stock, and even simply upgrading the base bushings and cable bushing is supposed to improve it quite a bit, but that short shifter felt like you were cocking a shotgun...just *click* *click* *click*.

I am going to do the bushings kit at least and hope it gives me some of that feel without dropping in the entire kit.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Bought one on a whim!    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2019 11:50
DCR wrote:
Dren wrote:
The shifter is short and feels like it's a linkage, not cable, but I'm not sure if it is or not. The shifts are nice and precise.

https://acuityinstruments.com/collections/shifting-accessories/10th-gen-civic

I sat in a Type-R last weekend that had the Acuity adjustable short throw shifter and upgraded bushings. This was an incredible difference over stock, and even simply upgrading the base bushings and cable bushing is supposed to improve it quite a bit, but that short shifter felt like you were cocking a shotgun...just *click* *click* *click*.

I am going to do the bushings kit at least and hope it gives me some of that feel without dropping in the entire kit.

If you get the busing kit, let me know what you think. I'm pretty happy with the throw distance right now, but if the busing upgrades the 'feel', I'd be interested. I'm not surprised it's a cable shifting MT since it's a new Honda, but I am surprised that it doesn't feel like the unconnected cable MTs that my other Hondas had.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0